• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thomas Hearns. No doubt about it.

Comment

Charlie Zelenoff, no way Floyd beats him

Comment

Hard for me to see Mayweather beating Tommy Hearns, it is a bad styles match up for him. I don't think he is going to go all out in pursuit like leonard did, and he wouldn't have those extra rounds being a 12 round fight

Comment

Davey Day is your man to beat Mayweather and Duran

Day sent Armstrong to the Hospital, pummeled Lou Amber's, KO Pedro Montanez. Beat Angott. N.B.A. stripped Amber's of his title for not fighting Day. Canzoneri, Jenkins and Zivic avoided Day. Sugar Ray Robinson 19 yrs old was coming up and beating all the Lightweights, he was scheduled to fight Davey Day in November 1941 and backed out. Bob Montgomery was substituted, and winning by a KO in 1st rd. Day starting fighting in 1931. Had over 300 fights amateur / pro and never suffered a cut eye. What Champions could say the same. There are several vintage pic and exhibit card on Ebay with 3 days left for auction. Seller is GOLDSTARSTAMPS search of
          ARMSTRONG VS. DAVEY DAY. Cheers.

Comment

Broner at 135

Comment

Don't understand how anybody can believe any pre-70s fighter could beat Mayweather. Only fighter in my opinion who'd have a genuine chance is a prime Duran.

Comment

Hearns would give Mayweather fits with those long arms. Leonard was slick enough to do it. A in-his-prime Paq is fast enough to do it. A prime Oscar does it. Heck, Pernell Whitaker does it.

But my one pick? Roberto Duran does it at 135 and 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                  Hey, Hey - Sugar Ray.
                  The original one!
                  Both Sugar Rays IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                    Hearns would give Mayweather fits with those long arms. Leonard was slick enough to do it. A in-his-prime Paq is fast enough to do it. A prime Oscar does it. Heck, Pernell Whitaker does it.

But my one pick? Roberto Duran does it at 135 and 147.
                    Hell, no 5'10 purebread Benitez couldn't, natural FW pac, Lw floyd or Whitaker aren't going to. Hearns was a monster at 147 - Floyd pr Pacquiao wouldn't be able to hurt him or even land all that much, those guys would have stayed in the lower weights. Hearns is getting massively underrated here lol - they would be running all night in survival mode.

Leonard was bigger, lengthier and had a hell of a punch at 147 - i would say he was even faster then all those guys as well. And even still, Leonard was losing most of that 15 round fight, and he finally got him, also Hearns didn't really go down they stopped the fight. In his prime Hearns was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      Hell, no 5'10 purebread Benitez couldn't, natural FW pac, Lw floyd or Whitaker aren't going to. Hearns was a monster at 147 - Floyd pr Pacquiao wouldn't be able to hurt him or even land all that much, those guys would have stayed in the lower weights. Hearns is getting massively underrated here lol - they would be running all night in survival mode.

Leonard was bigger, lengthier and had a hell of a punch at 147 - i would say he was even faster then all those guys as well. And even still, Leonard was losing most of that 15 round fight, and he finally got him, also Hearns didn't really go down they stopped the fight. In his prime Hearns was tough.
                      I'm not underestimating Hearns. I loved watching Tommy and it's not that I don't think Tommy couldn't beat Floyd. That frickin' long jab of his and the sledgehammer right makes for a potent combination. At his best he was a very tough puzzle to solve. But Ray solved it and Hagler/Barkley just went through him (at a different weight class of course). In a Floyd/Hearns matchup my money is on Hearns.

But if I'm picking one guy to beat Floyd in one fight then I want a guy who will outwork him, rough him up and keep coming forward. That's Duran. I don't think Floyd can hit Duran hard enough to hurt him and Hands of Stone would have been fast enough, strong enough and determined enough to get inside and work Floyd over. Floyd had a difficult time with Maidana and I want that kind of guy who is faster, dirtier and quicker.

But heck, we don't even need to look that hard. Oscar de la Hoya in his prime would whoop Floyd. He pretty much did at age 34.

Comment

Working...
                      X