No announcement yet.

How good was Donald Curry?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My all time favorite fighter.

Honestly, I think he had the best technique I've ever seen in 37 years watching this sport. I also am the first to admit that his prime was too short to be in any sort of "Top 10 ever" kind of discussion. But brilliant in his time.

He would have competed with anyone from 1982-1985. Leonard, Hearns, Pryor, Davey Moore, Duran, etc...Won some, lost some, but would have been in the fight. Curry was also the first prime example of staying at weight too long. I think once Honeyghan got him in Sept of 1986 he wasn't the same. I've always been interested in the "what if" of Curry fighting McCallum in June of 1985 like originally expected. Different ballgame in my opinion.

I know he was always talking about Hagler in that era, but I think that was a bridge too far. Would have loved to have seen the fight though.

As an aside, he was long gone by the time he fought Terry Norris in June of 1991, but that was an incredible fight. He pushed Norris more than he gets credit for. But that technique I spoke of earlier was LONG gone by that point.

Comment

Not super good. Regular good. If you roughed him up, he loses his composure.

Comment

Working...
      X