Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009: Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009: Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Who would have won?

Who would have won if the fight happened in late 2009?

2009 Pacquiao
    - KO'd Hatton to win the Light Welterweight title
    - KO'd Cotto to win Welterweight title

2009 Mayweather
    - came out of retirement and destroyed Marquez

If the fight happened after the events above, who do you think would have won?
    Floyd Mayweather
    31.37%
    Manny Pacquiao
    68.63%

One attribute I thought Pacquiao could trouble Floyd with when they fought in 2015 was foot speed from the southpaw stance.

But it ended up being the opposite: Floyd tamed him with intelligent foot placement and smoother/quicker footwork of his own. Which actually shocked me, I wasn't expecting the older Floyd to be faster.

So if they had fought closer to Mayweather's athletic prime I have to think the victory would have been even clearer for him.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-16-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

The fans....

Comment

Floyd may have gotten the KO win over an allege "elite" fighter. However, if Floyd KO/UD Manny it is likely he would've dropped back down to 140...so his legacy would've been less.

I don't see how anyone could vote Manny given that Floyd won clearly in their eventual fight when Floyd was 38 years old and Manny 36 years. The Floyd who fought JMM, at 32 years, was not only mentally sharp but also very physically gifted.

To this day I swear that the smothering/stalking volume fighters who have a willingness to be a little dirty are what beat Floyd, not unorthodox punchers. JLC and Maidana - both of whom were average or slightly above average smother/stalkers - gave Floyd very competitive fights. I don't see how Floyd handles a Duran or JCC Sr. prime for prime if he struggled so much with Maidana and JLC, especially JLC.

Comment

This thread has every ingediens in it to possibly evolve into something we don't want here in the historysection. So posters better keep it clean and flame-free or else.......

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            This thread has every ingediens in it to possibly evolve into something we don't want here in the historysection. So posters better keep it clean and flame-free or else.......
            Thank you for the reminder

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
              Thank you for the reminder
              Any time redbarman

Comment

Mayweather wins any time and every time.

Worst style match up for him.

Comment

Pac deteriorated worse in the few years leading up to the Mayweahter fight so I think in their primes its probably closer than the one that ended up happening. But yeah, Mayweather still wins. Horrible style for Pacquiao.

Comment

Mayweather would still win, but it would be a much better fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X