No announcement yet.

Assault in the Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Good point, but what about the undercover cop they interviewed in the documentary or was it an FBI agent who talked to Resto and recorded his conversations with him? At one point Resto mentioned out of nowhere, of his own volition, that he saw Panama Lewis go into the men's room with one of the other corner men with his boxing gloves and then emerge from the bathroom with the gloves to put them on him. It was so many years later, it took him a while to remember it, but it was on record. So I'd agree with you guys if this had never come up, but I feel even if he didn't feel any remorse, which I feel Resto did, he did his time in prison and paid his pennance. He should at least be allowed to work as a trainer because you know he wouldn't pull any shady ****e like Lewis would. The guy was living a pathetic life at the start of the doc that only got slightly better by the end. You could tell Resto wasn't in on the plan from the beginning. Just like Pryor didn't know about the bottle. Lewis seemed to do all this stuff on his own, thinking if his fighters got caught, they couldn't say anything because if they didn't know, they didn't have to lie for their trainer.
    But he (Resto) knew...he was also aware that his wraps were being loaded before his eyes and were cast-like. You can tell when the padding is gone from a glove right away. I remember once putting on a pair of my friends gloves that had been been badly flattened from hitting the heavy bag with for a long time. You can feel it immediately.

He was aware of everything and went along with it even thought it may have not been his plan or doing. The commissioner who has repeatedly denied both Resto's and Pananama's applications said something to the effect..."If a guy who worked at a children's facility and abused children serves time for his actions...are you going to rehire him after?"

Although you can argue that Antonio Margarito has been given a license to box...I'm not sure that was a right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
      The documentary (for what it's worth) argued an ugly side to Billy Collins Sr. claiming that Collins Jr.'s damage was all soft tissue and that the TV network wanted to make good with another televised fight in six months, as a preliminary to a championship fight, but that Collins Sr. became convinced he could score better with a law suit (which necessitated that Billy Jr.'s career 'be over.') He brought several suits all of which failed.

IMO The damage looked terrible but it was all soft tissue damage; none of Resto's endless pitty-pat punches caused any concussion. There was nothing about that beating that was career ending, Collins could have fought again in six months.
      That's true...his father was after $65 million. Maybe he would have fought again (Jr) at some point if he had not died...I think so personally. But that still has no bearing on on the wrong that was done. It was a crime...an ugly one at that.

And those were not pity pats...he was throwing hard. Both Jr's eyes were closed at after the fight.

Last edited by jaded; 08-12-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Depression and boxing go hand in hand. But ****, to suffer that kind of beating is just unthinkable. Billy finished the rounds that he signed up for (incredibly), got paid and then fell in to a seriously deep depression. It's serious **** with out even taking the beating that Collins did.....Rockin'boxing:

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
          That's true...his father was after $65 million. Maybe he would have fought again (Jr) at some point if he had not died...I think so personally. But that still has no bearing on on the wrong that was done. It was a crime...an ugly one at that.

And those were not pity pats...he was throwing hard. Both Jr's eyes were closed at after the fight.

You're right 'pitty-pat' is the wrong term. I was trying to convey that the punches weren't banging on Collins head and doing the long term type of damage we all know too well. Certainly Resto's 'relentless' punching was doing great damage to Collins eyes.

It makes me wonder if Resto was deliberately throwing short arm punches to the face (and not power shots; hooks and over-hand rights to the head) because he knew his hands were exposed, or if it was just a matter of style. I find it impossible to believe Resto didn't know what was up.

The ugly question no one wants to ask is did Billy Collins' performance make Sr. lose faith in Jr.'s ability to win a title?

But I also feel the documentary likely distorted Sr.'s role in events because it was obvious they were making Resto's story into some kind of Greek mythological tragedy. Sending Resto to knock, uninvited, on the Collins' family's front door was beyond callous, it was amoral. It makes me want to question their entire story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
            It makes me wonder if Resto was deliberately throwing short arm punches to the face (and not power shots; hooks and over-hand rights to the head) because he knew his hands were exposed, or if it was just a matter of style. I find it impossible to believe Resto didn't know what was up.
            You bring up an interesting point I've wondered about before. Did Resto hold back in any way so as to not damage Billy as much he knew he could?

I've only seen Resto in that fight so I don't know his style that well, but I know he had a KO% of 26 and Billy was a superior fighter. So he probably didn't hold back even with his weapons that night. Psycho.

Sending Resto to knock, uninvited, on the Collins' family's front door was beyond callous, it was amoral. It makes me want to question their entire story.
            Yeah that was typical inappropriate Hollywood BS.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              But he (Resto) knew...he was also aware that his wraps were being loaded before his eyes and were cast-like. You can tell when the padding is gone from a glove right away. I remember once putting on a pair of my friends gloves that had been been badly flattened from hitting the heavy bag with for a long time. You can feel it immediately.

He was aware of everything and went along with it even thought it may have not been his plan or doing. The commissioner who has repeatedly denied both Resto's and Pananama's applications said something to the effect..."If a guy who worked at a children's facility and abused children serves time for his actions...are you going to rehire him after?"

Although you can argue that Antonio Margarito has been given a license to box...I'm not sure that was a right thing to do.
              If he is reformed and shows remorse, then yes, I give him another chance. Someone like Panama Lewis who has no morals I don't let anywhere near a boxing ring in an arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Depression and boxing go hand in hand.
                Blows to the head affect the brain in different ways, depression is not uncommon.

Resto paid a high price for his life choices. To be a pro boxer, what all that entails, and falling for the temptation to take a shortcut and become a cheater.
                His reward was poverty. Like so many fighters, that never cheated.

Panama Al seems to be a survivor and moves on, no matter what.
                In this life. But if there is a God in next, I doubt Al will last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                  Blows to the head affect the brain in different ways, depression is not uncommon.

Resto paid a high price for his life choices. To be a pro boxer, what all that entails, and falling for the temptation to take a shortcut and become a cheater.
                  His reward was poverty. Like so many fighters, that never cheated.

Panama Al seems to be a survivor and moves on, no matter what.
                  In this life. But if there is a God in next, I doubt Al will last long.
                  Al Lewis? What is this, The Munsters? It's Carlos "Panama" Lewis, Scumbag Extraordinaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Al Lewis? What is this, The Munsters? It's Carlos "Panama" Lewis, Scumbag Extraordinaire.
                    Hey, we had had a good time at the pub yesterday night.
                    You cannot expect me to keep track of all names in the world under such circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                      Hey, we had had a good time at the pub yesterday night.
                      You cannot expect me to keep track of all names in the world under such circumstances.
                      Ben jumps in with a solid zinger...

Comment

Working...
                      X