No announcement yet.

Sub 200 lb fighters with best chance to upset Prime Holmes/Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Louis and Schmeling were under 200 lbs when they fought. Each would have a chance. In fact I favor Louis.

Dempsey

Conn

Tunney

Harold Johnson
    Never considered Harold Johnson....I suppose he could

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
      I don't know, Holmes seemed pretty strong. And I wouldn't go so far as to say he was "less skilled" than Tunney.
      I used to think that then I took a closer look at his career. His resume stinks. Old Shavers nearly clobbered him and would have if it wasn't for his stamina issues. Norton came incredibly close. These guys were both past prime. Outside of that his resume totally stinks. He feasted upon inexperienced, B level, or balding opponents. He rarely throws anything other than a 1-2 and his ring iq wasn't high enough to make up for that.

Tunney beat loads of great fighters. Holmes never beat anyone as good as Harry Greb for one.

Comment

Tunney was a far better technical boxer than Holmes.

Comment

--- prime to prime Dempsey always.

And talented technicians like Tunney and M Spinks also. I was more impressed with young Ali's natural talents than his fighting style, but, man, who could ever match his nonstop gibber?

Duane Bobick did when he KOed Holmes, an Ali protege in the Olympic trials...priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
            Which under 200 pound fighters would have the best chance of causing an upset against a prime Holmes or prime Ali? I didn't say that could be favored over them, but the fighters who would have a better chance than most in causing an upset?

I'd put Ezzard Charles and Rocky Marciano on top of that list. Any others?
            Prime Roy Jones

Comment

Hector Camacho had faster hands and faster feet than Ali. As matador, he could turn Ali into a raging bull. He would out jab Holmes straight up.

Hector guzzles victory nectar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Hector Camacho had faster hands and faster feet than Ali. As matador, he could turn Ali into a raging bull. He would out jab Holmes straight up.

Hector guzzles victory nectar.
                We certainly can't say the same about Hector Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                  Prime Roy Jones
                  Yeah he should be included

Comment

Bob foster

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Bob foster
                      ^^^^^ Great pick.

Comment

Working...