Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Holyfield on PEDs when he beat Qawi?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know for a fact that extraordinary muscular definition can be completely natural, and in the most extreme cases will blossom with or without prompting from exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Well in the evident absence of facts, you are looking for speculation.

Ok. I'll bite.

The US olympic team of 1984 was littered with blood dopers (fact), so it cannot be ruled out that the extremely uncharacteristically succesful boxing team was among the beneficiaries of this method. If they where, it's quite plausible that Holyfield would continue seeking artificial advantages in his pro career. The subsequent Evan Fields fiasco is also indicative.
      We can say the same thing about the Ukrainian team that bred the Klitschko brothers. And we're not talking about assumptions, this came straight out of the horse's mouth. Would you be ready to slander them in the same way?

Comment

That's what happens with PEDs. You get popped once and you entire career is in question

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
          We can say the same thing about the Ukrainian team that bred the Klitschko brothers. And we're not talking about assumptions, this came straight out of the horse's mouth. Would you be ready to slander them in the same way?
          If a thread on the klits came up and I felt I had something interesting to say, then yes, I'd adress it.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            I really doubt he was back then. No one knows the true timeline but many athletes are talked as they start to age. Often from doctors to help with injuries.
            Just before Holyfield went to heavy, there was a long interview with him in Ring Magazine. In that interview he said he would discuss with his 'sports medicinist' when he'd be ready to move up.

That wording rung some alarm bells for me as the organized use of PED's in cycling was very much talked about in Europe. That involved doctors, chemists masseurs etc. Huge conspricaies kept secret by a cyclings mafia like Omerta.

Back in those days Ring Magazine had a coloumn called 'Ask the answerman' or something.

So I took the rather big step of writing a REAL LETTER (by airmail lol) sending a question to the answerman about this 'sports medicinist' that Holyfield had mentioned. Who was it? What was his role? Was that common for top fighters etc.

Unfortunately Ring didn't select my question to be answered.
            Last edited by BattlingNelson; 06-14-2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              Just before Holyfield went to heavy, there was a long interview with him in Ring Magazine. In that interview he said he would discuss with his 'sports medicinist' when he'd be ready to move up.

That wording rung some alarm bells for me as the organized use of PED's in cycling was very much talked about in Europe. That involved doctors, chemists masseurs etc. Huge conspricaies kept secret by a cyclings mafia like Omerta.

Back in those days Ring Magazine had a coloumn called 'Ask the answerman' or something.

So I took the rather big step of writing a REAL LETTER (by airmail lol) sending a question to the answerman about this 'sports medicinist' that Holyfield had mentioned. Who was it? What was his role? Was that common for top fighters etc.

Unfortunately Ring didn't select my question to be answered.
              Good point. I am not defending Holyfield or any other steroid user but Doctors used to hand out steroids like antibiotics. Like it was a miracle cure all. If you had a heart problem, steroids, a major injury, steroids. I remember having a sore shoulder and the doctor shooting it up. A more severe injury would be worse. Pazienza was a great example, broke his neck and gained 50 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't someone want to enhance their performance, whether by aerobic exercise, weights or chemically?
                The problem with roids is it helps to give unnatural advantages one normally wouldn't have. So in this context, it can become less about who actually is the better fighter and more about who can get the best roids.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  There will always be a cloud of suspicion over Holyfield's head given the Evan Fields situation. If he came out with a sudden burst of energy from his corner then it is possible he was using some sort of asthma concoction similar to Aaron Pryor versus Arguello. Holyfield's body-builder physique was always somewhat suspect to me, but that in itself is not proof. so I doubt we will ever have a definitive answer.
                  Holyfield s physique could have been acquired naturally with the right diet and weight training. Many natural bodybuilder s have similar physiques. The Evan Fields fiasco is what did it for me. It wouldn't be enough to find him guilty in criminal court but I could rule against him with that in civil court.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                    The problem with roids is it helps to give unnatural advantages one normally wouldn't have. So in this context, it can become less about who actually is the better fighter and more about who can get the best roids.
                    Which sports pretty much already has become. Or rather, who can get the best, undetectable roids. Reminds me of that '80s SNL sketch called The All Drug Olympics where they show a weightlifter and mention all the PEDs he's on, followed by his arms ripping off when trying to lift the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                      Has boxing gotten better at catching juicing fighters these days? Or does it only happen when they agree to OST, like in Mayweather's later fights? I read the UFC uses something called VADA, which has caught a lot of guys since they implemented it.

Nice screen name, by the way. Are you a fan of Spider-Man or do you just really like rice?

Comment

Working...
                      X