Unusual endings??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual endings??

Here's a small article from a book that I am currently reading-

'On January 13, 1995 the 12 rounder for the vacant NABF light-heavyweight title between former IBF champion Prince Charles Williams and Merqui Sosa in Atlantic City was declared a technical draw after seven rounds when the ringside doctor, Frank B. Doggett, decided they had each taken too much punishment for them to safely continue.

On the only other similar occasion, when Eddie Woods and Al Milone were too severely cut to continue their fight in Philadelphia in 1959, the result was recorded as a stoppage loss for both men.

There was a double knockout in the world Lightweight title fight between champion Ad Wolgast and Mexican Joe Rivers in Los Angeles on July 4 1912. Both were knocked down simultaneously in the 13th round, and with neither looking likely to beat the count the referee picked up the chapion and, holding him under the arm, carried on counting out Rivers.

Another peculiar ending to a championship fight was when challenger George Bernard of France fell asleep in his corner between the 6th and 7th rounds of his middleweight title fight with Billy Papke in Paris on dec. 4 1912. He could not be woken in time for the seventh round, and the ending was recorded as a retirement. He claimed he had been drugged.

Any other unusual endings????

Ad Wolgast vs Joe Rivers

Prince Charles Williams vs Merqui Sosa.

(Quoted from The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Boxing - Seventh edition)

The Wolgast fight looks about as crooked as it can get; all the great ones (of that era) had their own referee, Wolgast's erned his money that night.***

Historically speaking maybe it was the best thing that happened to Mexican Joe Rivers, without it we might never had heard of him.

*** When Monzon KOed Benvenuti in Rome the crowd attacked the referee for having the audacity to count. Like NFL refs, referees sometimes have to make tough calls, like: "Just how angry will the crowd get if I . . ." Wolgast's ref was all in.

Comment

I was watching the Williams/Sosa fight when referee Ron Lipton stopped it. I believe it was Lipton who made the call that they had taken too much punishment to let the fight continue.

Comment

Alex, what is “bowe vs golata”

Tyson-Holyfield 2

Recent times, Kirkland-Molina dq

Comment

Andrew "Six Heads" Lewis ahead on cards putting on a good performance, quit so he could go to the toilet in the 7th round against Dalton.

Comment

How about Lennox Lewis-Oliver McCall 2?

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Andrew "Six Heads" Lewis ahead on cards putting on a good performance, quit so he could go to the toilet in the 7th round against Dalton.
              The first one I thought of, when I saw the thread title!

In 1898 Joe Gans and Joe Kid Robinson had their scheduled 6 rounder declared a NC, when the lights went out in the arena in the 3rd, and couldn't be restored.

Then there was that weird incident, when Adolpho Washington lost a world title challenge against Virgil Hill by TD... when he couldn't continue after being cut by a TV camera!

And if we're talking weird endings, we certainly can't forget that crazy fight, where Tony Wilson's mother entered the ring and hit his opponent, Steve McCarthy, in the head with a shoe. When order was restored, McCarthy refused to continue and was declared the loser by TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                That was great. Lewis said afterwards it was because he ate some bad goat stew in the dressing room.

Comment

Here Cintron looks like a letter getting posted in a letterbox.

Comment

Flores took a dive against Rigo, last year, to try and get him Disqualified. HBO were pushing it for it, too.
                    Last edited by The Smash; 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X