Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Jack Johnson Get a Pass on Opposition while Marciano Does Not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    it is odd though how today, fans will praise Wilder for beating a 38 year old Ortiz, yet, the 37 year old version of Louis that Marciano defeated was a far better boxer than Ortiz, and Rock was considerably smaller.
    Ortiz is one of the top 3 heavyweights in the world right now. He's better than the shot version of Joe Louis that Marciano beat.

Wilder deserves credit for that win.

And you won't see people trying to put Wilder in the conversation for greatest heavyweight ever off of that victotry. His flaws and overall quality of opposition are still recognized and pointed out.

Which is something that many Rocky Marciano fans seem incapable of doing.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Ortiz is one of the top 3 heavyweights in the world right now. He's better than the shot version of Joe Louis that Marciano beat.

Wilder deserves credit for that win.

And you won't see people trying to put Wilder in the conversation for greatest heavyweight ever off of that victotry. His flaws and overall quality of opposition are still recognized and pointed out.

Which is something that many Rocky Marciano fans seem incapable of doing.
      I would suggest you watch Louis in that fight and even though he is a shell of his former greatness, he has better form and footwork than Ortiz. He was a bigger threat. Ortiz did nothing for six rounds. Turned it up for one round and gassed out. He was a stationary target right in front of Wilder.

I don't see any Marciano fans touting the Louis win. They all agree that Louis was washed up. I do see a lot of Wilder fans acting as though Ortiz was a great win. It was a good win in a very weak division.

Comment

• The book has already been written long ago regarding Marciano. He was an ATG heavyweight champion. No book has been written about Wilder. Heck he has not even won the hwt championship. Wilder is a powerful right hand puncher and he appears a determined fighter as well. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Marciano at this point in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          The book has already been written long ago regarding Marciano. He was an ATG heavyweight champion. No book has been written about Wilder. Heck he has not even won the hwt championship. Wilder is a powerful right hand puncher and he appears a determined fighter as well. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Marciano at this point in time.
          Wilder needs that one career-defining fight. Some say Ortiz was the guy, I think it will be Joshua if it ever happens.

Comment

• Wilders book will be written years from now. He has to prove himself vs the best opposition over time. Technically I do not see where he has progressed. It's all powerful right hands which he wings and telegraphs. On the plus side he did show signs of the will to win one looks for in order to rank a fighter as an ATG.

Comment

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Wilder needs that one career-defining fight. Some say Ortiz was the guy, I think it will be Joshua if it ever happens.
              Me too. So you think he beats Joshua then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Me too. So you think he beats Joshua then?
                If he doesn't get caught. Both of them have shaky chins.

Comment

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  If he doesn't get caught. Both of them have shaky chins.
                  Really? I could see them fighting a trilogy where they both get caught in the first two fights and then maybe the third goes the distance or someone gets stopped late, since it sounds like a matter of who gets caught first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Really? I could see them fighting a trilogy where they both get caught in the first two fights and then maybe the third goes the distance or someone gets stopped late, since it sounds like a matter of who gets caught first.
                    This might be one of those fights so hard to get together that it only happens once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                      Probably because Marciano is closer to modern and gets matched up a lot more frequently with modern heavyweights. His resume and height/weight are the most readily apparent attributes so of course the less knowledgeable posters (most on here) are going to immediately begin detracting him for those qualities. Johnson isn't matched up with the Klitschkos or Tyson or Ali for example as Marciano is. God forbid anyone back Marciano in a fight.

I don't know what it is about boxing but it seems to be the only major sport (idk about soccer) where folks are so motivated to detract from certain fighters. It's as if they make money off of it or they have a personal vendetta. Really strange but also not surprising because I've noticed a higher percentage of boxing fans seem to have mental disorders as opposed to other sports.
                      Personally, I think that Marciano could honestly be favored over any 200 pounder or below on his best night.

Comment

Working...
                      X