No announcement yet.

Wilder only weighed 9 lbs more than a prime Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Dicko View Post
    Wilder is a tremendous athlete and physical speciman. His weight for Ortiz was a clear indication to me that Wilder who stands 6'7''. does not use steroids or PEDs unlike Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield, Lewis, Klitschkos, Joshua, Morrison, Moorer, all use steroids during their careers.
    Is there any proof that all of these guys were on steroids? I mean, Vitaly Klitschko and Morrison admit to it, if I remember correctly. Holyfield most likely did due to the "Evan Fields" shlt. Tyson admitted to being on cocaine I believe, but never heard anything linking him to steroids. I've never heard Lewis linked to anything, nor Joshua, Foreman, Moorer.

Some would said anyone who doesn't believe all of these guys were on steroids is just being naive, but at the same time, I don't really think it's fair to just make it seem matter of fact that they all were without any solid proof, or any proof at all for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Is there any proof that all of these guys were on steroids? I mean, Vitaly Klitschko and Morrison admit to it, if I remember correctly. Holyfield most likely did due to the "Evan Fields" shlt. Tyson admitted to being on cocaine I believe, but never heard anything linking him to steroids. I've never heard Lewis linked to anything, nor Joshua, Foreman, Moorer.

Some would said anyone who doesn't believe all of these guys were on steroids is just being naive, but at the same time, I don't really think it's fair to just make it seem matter of fact that they all were without any solid proof, or any proof at all for that matter.
      Exactly. Until someone is proven guilty I give them a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        And Louis wasnt a freak? The guy was explosive as ****.

Have you seen him punch? He makes Wilder look like a child just learning to box.

200lbs of perfectly timed and accurate power punching thrown with immaculate technique will knock any body out. Idc how big you are, how tall or how long your reach is.
        In before the first idiot to say "Yeah Louis would be a great cruiserweight."

Weight is a funny thing it is not the only thing that determines size. One of the biggest heavyweights was Liston. He has hands, bones and a reach that made him a very large man. As people have said, when one is training for a 15 round fight, and to throw punches for an entire round every round, to move every round, they will come in at the lighter range of weights. No mystery there. Louis when he got older and lost to Marciano came in over 200 pounds, like 220 or so I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          One must critically look at Wilder. Why be a fan boy? Is it that necessary to jump on a fighters bandwagon so quickly ignoring the details that are required to be looked at as an good fighter? Wilder is an relatively unskilled fighter. Has he shown any ability to slip, block, parry, and counterpunch? Answer is no. He is also sloppy.....winding up from right field with his right hand. He is quite simply right hand crazy. Ortiz fought a good technical fight if you noticed. He kept moving in mini circles to his right taking away Wilders right hand. He got into trouble when he was caught standing right in front of Wilder either via exhaustion or change of tactics. It appeared around round seven Ortiz began attacking looking for the KO. Perhaps he felt Wilder tiring? What's good about Wilder? Excellent right hand power and he certainly showed Drive and determination in this fight which is a huge plus. Someone needs to settle him down and teach him how to FIGHT. Hone skills that are sorely lacking, shorten up his punches, teach him to throw a great jab to set up that right hand, a great left hook would neutralize what Ortiz tried to do to tie up Wilders right. Bottom line he needs a great trainer to make him into a skilled fighter. Right now he is a work in progress. A fighter who gets by with great right hand power and little else.
          This debate was had recently in the regular section. Juggernaught 666 was making the same point: Attributes are not talents, they can potentially become talents.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post

Its a good question considering even which things are steriodal in nature i.e. that mimick male adrenal compounds. When we go to the doctor we get steriodal preperations all the time, none of them do much except speed up healing. It might be a case of nutrition, healing injuries, and maybe some accelerated muscle mass.

It might scare people here to know that chances are if you had a steak recently, you ingested steroids!

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              wilder was sick in the lead up to this fight. stomach bug, AKA furious vomiting and sh#ts.

i had the same thing twice this year, almost had to go to the hospital because i couldn't even drink water for about 36 hours.

wilder used to come in at 228ish on the nose for his fights. he's also, what, six inches taller than joe louis? 8 inches of reach? cmon dude, these guys are not the same size. don't picka fight where a guy is sick and say, "oh, he's only 9 lbs bigger." wilder would absolutely dwarf louis if they stood next to each other. he'd have you saying, "oh, so he is that much bigger."

and yes, louis knocks him out. of course he knocks him out.

but that doesn't mean wilder is not a talented guy. he made the olympics with only a few dozen fights. got to the pinnacle of achievement and earnings at HW having hardly any boxing skills to speak of. that's because he's fast, 6'7" tall, has seven entire feet of reach, and hits as hard as anybody i have ever seen.
              YOu have to look at the whole body New England. Wilder has chicken legs. He looks a little like the guys in the 80's who did bench press all day but never worked on the legs. Guys like Louis had thick legs, thats part of size as well.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                YOu have to look at the whole body New England. Wilder has chicken legs. He looks a little like the guys in the 80's who did bench press all day but never worked on the legs. Guys like Louis had thick legs, thats part of size as well.
                For a guy with such skinny legs he has freakish power.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

he does? like tommy hearns, for example. but he's not smaller than ray leonard, is he? or even marvin hagler, who never fought above MW for a reason

wilder and louis have the same size calf

yeah, louis had a larger thigh, but did it matter? who hits harder? who fights bigger guys regularly? who carries more body fat while weighing 15-20 lbs less?

the point that wilder, who has 10 inches of reach, is 4-5 inches taller, and who typically outweighs louis in spite of being leaner, is a much, much bigger guy, and would absolutely dwarf louis if they stood next to each other [ or boxed.]

and yes, louis still knocks him out. wilder can hardly box. but that doesn't mean these guys are the same size, because they are not!!!

does the man hit hard or not? and has he taken all of the punishment he's needed thus far to stay upright? they're not carrying bundles of roofing, after all.
                  Last edited by New England; 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

so did joe louis

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      He does! skinny legs can be strong. I don't think he could generate that power with weak legs

Comment

Working...
                      X