This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Castillo got robbed, so technically Floyd should never have won that title from him.
    That was a close fight but technically it was officially a win for Floyd not a loss.

You are trying to pass off an opinion of yours as a fact which seems to be a common problem with a lot of the Mayweather detractors.

Comment

Castillo got robbed, so technically Floyd should never have won that title from him.
      In fairness, you can make the same argument about the first LaStarza fight; so that's kind of a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        That was a close fight but technically it was officially a win for Floyd not a loss.

You are trying to pass off an opinion of yours as a fact which seems to be a common problem with a lot of the Mayweather detractors.
        Not trying to pass off as a fact. I know he was awarded the win, but let's not pretend that Castillo didn't get robbed. To my point, the lineal title wasn't as impressive as if he had beaten a prime elite, or at least clearly beat Castillo in that first fight.

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
        In fairness, you can make the same argument about the first LaStarza fight; so that's kind of a wash.
        I was referring to lineal titles that Floyd held. Not one was truly impressive when you break down the opposition. At least Rocky dropped LaStarza in that fight, Floyd never came close to winning his first match with Castillo.

Comment

Not trying to pass off as a fact. I know he was awarded the win, but let's not pretend that Castillo didn't get robbed. To my point, the lineal title wasn't as impressive as if he had beaten a prime elite, or at least clearly beat Castillo in that first fight.
          You can find a multitude of people within the boxing industry who thought Floyd won the Castillo fight, even if it was close.

You don't get to count that as an official loss or robbery just because you don't like Mayweather.

Comment

You can find a multitude of people within the boxing industry who thought Floyd won the Castillo fight, even if it was close.

You don't get to count that as an official loss or robbery just because you don't like Mayweather.
            One has nothing to do with the other. I'm sure there are some people who thought Bradley legit beat Pac in their first fight, but MOST anyone who watched it viewed it as a robbery. It is universally agreed upon by a majority that Bradley got a gift. Just as it is universally agreed upon that Floyd got a gift.

Comment

Just as it is universally agreed upon that Floyd got a gift.
              No, it's not universally agreed upon. No matter how much you hate Floyd.

Sorry.

Comment

No, it's not universally agreed upon. No matter how much you hate Floyd.

Sorry.
                Only in the minds of Floyd's pom-pom waving cheerleaders.

Comment

One has nothing to do with the other. I'm sure there are some people who thought Bradley legit beat Pac in their first fight, but MOST anyone who watched it viewed it as a robbery. It is universally agreed upon by a majority that Bradley got a gift. Just as it is universally agreed upon that Floyd got a gift.
                  There is a point where one can look at a fight and say that it was a robbery and not even a gift so to speak.

I would argue that while it was certainly a break, it was not a robbery that Floyd got the nod against Castillo.

However Ghost...when we look at Mayweather's record over time and compare him with other ATG's, then the Castillo fight, among others, becomes quite significant. It does not have to be a robbery to be significant.

Comment

marciano was still fighting guys with losing records right before winning the title. his record is atrocious and there is no comparison to mayweather's record. mayweather was fighting at the champsionship level for almost 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WıLL View Post
                      I wasn't aware of this thread, posted a similar thread in the general boxing forum a few days back. I think Rocky Marciano's record is much more impressive than Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s. I'd actually say Floyd done irreparable damage to his legacy with the Conor McGregor money-grab. It was a big "F### You!" to all those fans who stuck by him through the cherrypicking years.
                      mayweather wasnt fighting guys with a losing record when he was in his late 20s early 30s.

Comment

Working...
                      X