This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    One could possibly provide serious analysis regarding exactly how spent Louis, Charles and Walcott were when they met up with Marciano five times. Who would they, at that point in their respective careers, have beaten and not have beaten?

Surprisingly, Walcott and Charles from their first fights with Rock would do quite well among historical heavies up to and including their own era, I believe. Louis of course was more shot than either, in my opinion, and probably could not have beaten a prime Fitzsimmons at that point. Would Galento have beaten the Louis who lost to Marciano?

Walcott and Charles were awful tough when they faced Rocky, and they would still beat most historical heavyweight champions. Marciano, then, had ought to beat most historical heavyweight champions as well, at the minimum.

Measured by his best opponents instead of his average ones, Marciano's resume was not as weak as typical slanderers invariably make it out to be
    16 l's out of 69 fights before fighting rocky. is that a good w/l %
    joe retired after those last 2 fights. safe to say he was done.

little charles went on to have a borderline terrible career after those rocky fights.....and he was what, 80 fights into his career

rockys resume, such as it is, is weak AF....and ''fight fans'' have the nerve to compare his with mays ?!?!?!?!? AND BE SERIOUS ?!?!?!?

Comment

• Rock was done at 49-0 aged 32., No 49 was the fight in which he got so badly roughed up,he decided to hang em up.
      At the time, Archie Moore was pretty much the same age as Mayweather when he schooled McGregor.
      Much prefer heavyweights and what Marciano brought into the ring, but on longevity alone., Floyd pips him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Rock was done at 49-0 aged 32., No 49 was the fight in which he got so badly roughed up,he decided to hang em up.
        At the time, Archie Moore was pretty much the same age as Mayweather when he schooled McGregor.
        Much prefer heavyweights and what Marciano brought into the ring, but on longevity alone., Floyd pips him.
        Man, where have you been all this time? Slow internet connection in Thailand?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          Man, where have you been all this time? Slow internet connection in Thailand?
          Making hay while the sun shines mainly mate....Good connection, but am easily bored by certain types, and there were way too many of those last time I participated on here.... Pretty safe to say, that i'm far from
          being the only one, you've not heard from in ages

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Making hay while the sun shines mainly mate....Good connection, but am easily bored by certain types, and there were way too many of those last time I participated on here.... Pretty safe to say, that i'm far from
            being the only one, you've not heard from in ages
            In some ways it's probably gotten worse. And the History Section is almost completely dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
              really believe that?
              Does it matter? People are complaining about this section and many of the brightest and best have left precisely because of people who say things that are silly, and... people who try to convince them otherwise. I will say for the record that I am guilty of trying to talk logical, and precedent at times, and even being silly, but the section used to have a natural defense against this type of misunderstood individual.

Bottom line is that the people that believe things like Rocky fought easy comp, that rocky would lose to the worse grade of opponent now-a-days, etc, etc are unfortunately the type that will continue to sprout such things out, waiting for the demise of critical thought to do so.

Im going to say this once: There are trainers around today that saw Marciano and every other heavy up to present. They have opinions based on experience and working with fighters, Lou Duva was one of those men (he passed recently)...and they have spoken about Marciano, Ezzard Charles, etc. While Marciano is on a proverbial short list, we will see where Mayweather winds up. We can't know yet because he has really just retired.

Some fighters became more in retirement some less. And finally, there is something very silly about comparing a heavyweight with Mayweather, which has been said before. There are many more men who weigh in the middle ranges, so many more men who fight in the lower weight classes, most fighters in those classes have managed to fight other great fighters equally rising to prove their dominance...Shall we compare Mayweather to Leonard? Or Armstrong? Or Ray Robinson? heck Ward might yet surpass Mayweather! It would not suprise me.

Marciano was a heavyweight who fought some of the most skillful fighters at the time, and if Moore and Charles were not in full bloom, they were certainly not past it! Ditto for Arnold Cream! There is no comparison and it ain't Marciano who would come up short... again, compare Marciano to Dempsey, Ali, Johnson and many people put him in that company... Even if not he comes close...Compare Mayweather and the people he fought with Some of his great contemporaries and it don't look so good! And one can fight alphabet soup all they want, look at the fighters not the accomodations. Charley Burley never won a championship, But Mayweather beat many champions like Gatti. So what?

Its a silly argument. Mayweather might prove to be fantastic in the light of historical truths, but he has a long way to go before he can even touch the jock strap of Marciano, right Larry Holmes?

Comment

• The History section didn't get ruined just because people believe that Mayweather's 50-0 record is more impressive than Marciano's.

It should be ok for others to have different opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  The History section didn't get ruined just because people believe that Mayweather's 50-0 record is more impressive than Marciano's.

It should be ok for others to have different opinions.
                  Its not the opinion but it is a couple of things: One has to have a sense of reverence for the process of history to happen. That is why usually fighters like Floyd are not brought up in this section. Its also when opinions have been heard and people resort to the Monty Python argument method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Its not the opinion but it is a couple of things: One has to have a sense of reverence for the process of history to happen. That is why usually fighters like Floyd are not brought up in this section. Its also when opinions have been heard and people resort to the Monty Python argument method:

I have a reverence for boxing history AND I happen to think Floyd deserves to be brought up in this section from time to time.

Iron Dan Hamza seems to feel the same way.

Neither of us make an inordinate amount of Floyd posts in this section I don't think. I would wager that we have discussed other topics way more than we have discussed him....but when Floyd comes up we certainly aren't shy about defending him if it's appropriate.

That's hardly something that should ruin the History subforum.
                    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-21-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

LOL... one of my all time favorite Monty Python skits!

Comment

Working...
                      X