No announcement yet.

Biggest Robberies in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
    There is probably no footage of him,he was defensiv fighter ala Ward,this fight would be boring af.
    But what is it, that makes you think he would beat Ward and Kovalev?

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
      But what is it, that makes you think he would beat Ward and Kovalev?
      That he could win over Greb and Dillon ,he was tramendous defensiv fighter (you need to be to avoid Greb furyous attacks),he could go to decision with Kovalev and out point Ward,i think that Greb with his hand speed would maul Ward ,and stop Kovalev late.

Comment

That he could win over Greb and Dillon ,he was tramendous defensiv fighter (you need to be to avoid Greb furyous attacks),he could go to decision with Kovalev and out point Ward,i think that Greb with his hand speed would maul Ward ,and stop Kovalev late.
        You have never seen Greb fight, none of us have. I'm sure you have seen Mickey Walker, who looks good but not exceptional on film and Greb was probably only marginally better than Walker. Levinsky lost 55 fights including a number in his prime, he wouldn't stand a chance against Kovalev or Ward. Levinsky is a fighter from the 1910s and 1920s, to think a fighter from then would stand much of a chance against the best from the 21st century is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
          You have never seen Greb fight, none of us have. I'm sure you have seen Mickey Walker, who looks good but not exceptional on film and Greb was probably only marginally better than Walker. Levinsky lost 55 fights including a number in his prime, he wouldn't stand a chance against Kovalev or Ward. Levinsky is a fighter from the 1910s and 1920s, to think a fighter from then would stand much of a chance against the best from the 21st century is ridiculous.
          if they would fight,they would have same training and PEDs no excuses.

Also fighters back then fough couple of big fights in month,lets see what happens if Ward figh 200+ how mnay loses will he have.Fighters back then had better Stamina and was tough as nails.Fighting in brutal way.

saying that they have no chance is ridiculous

Comment

if they would fight,they would have same training and PEDs no excuses.

Also fighters back then fough couple of big fights in month,lets see what happens if Ward figh 200+ how mnay loses will he have.Fighters back then had better Stamina and was tough as nails.Fighting in brutal way.

saying that they have no chance is ridiculous
            If they had modern training and PED's then they'd be different fighters, they'd no longer be fighters from the 1910s and 1920s. If Ward or Kovalev fought as often as Battling Levinsky then yes they'd probably pick up losses, especially if they were fighting cruiserweights and heavyweights, but how does that bolster your point about the merits of the likes of Levinsky? Part of the reason Levinsky lost fights was he wasn't at peak condition. What makes you think fighters then had more stamina? In sports where there is accurate measurement of performance they tell a very different story about the athletic performance of the distant past versus today. Battling Levinsky had 30 knockout victories in 288 fights wearing 4-6 oz gloves, what does that tell you about Levinsky? It tells me that he was either extremely weak physically or he had poor technique (slapper) or a mixture of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
              If they had modern training and PED's then they'd be different fighters, they'd no longer be fighters from the 1910s and 1920s. If Ward or Kovalev fought as often as Battling Levinsky then yes they'd probably pick up losses, especially if they were fighting cruiserweights and heavyweights, but how does that bolster your point about the merits of the likes of Levinsky? Part of the reason Levinsky lost fights was he wasn't at peak condition. What makes you think fighters then had more stamina? In sports where there is accurate measurement of performance they tell a very different story about the athletic performance of the distant past versus today. Battling Levinsky had 30 knockout victories in 288 fights wearing 4-6 oz gloves, what does that tell you about Levinsky? It tells me that he was either extremely weak physically or he had poor technique (slapper) or a mixture of both.
              He was very defensive elusive fighter thats why he had no KOs,generaly fighters back then had less KOs TKOs ,not every fight was officaial ,refs wasnt stoping till nearly death.

They fought good opsition month after month ,thats why they lose,what if Ward or Kovalev bump on Levinsky in theyr 20th fight of the year ,Ahhhh they wouldnt be able to fight so much LMAO.also they fought HWs ,so let Ward fight Kovalev 2 times,3 stevenson,then Wlamir and Fury and then Levinsky ,and we could see wats left out of Ward,Levisnky would be ok.

Part of why he lost was cuse he fought many good fighters many times,In single Fight with WWard/Kovalev his record doesnt matter.Fighters had skill,especialy inside.

If this would be football i would agree ,level of play improved dramaticly but not in boxing.

Comment

Yes, it's possible Levinsky COULD have defeated Greb (maybe if they had fought 50 times, he might have scored a win!), but in real life he never did. He met Greb 6 times and lost each time!

He did in fact beat Dillon. He went 2-6-2 against him... with the 2 wins coming in their last 3 fights, where Dillon was on the downslide.

The idea that Levinsky was this great defensive fighter... well, this is the first time I've heard someone claim that! He had a very sound chin, but other than that he was really nothing special, and most of the time he stepped up in class, he would lose. In 32 fights against world champs or future HOFers, he finished 7-21-4. Overall he lost (as already mentioned by Humean) 55 times... and not always against stellar opposition.

In fantasy matches there's of course no "right" or "wrong", as we will never really know, how such fights would play out... but it seems to me, that it's HIGHLY unlikely that Ward and Kovalev would lose to Levinsky.

Now about Greb... he had a staggering 59 fights against champs or HOFers! And maybe even more staggering: He didn't win any of these inside the distance. Not a single one! Not by KO, not by injury or even by DQ... and not by wearing his opponents down with his blistering pace, so they had to give up. No, in all these 59 fights his opponents managed to last the full distance... and yet you don't believe, Kovalev would be able to make it to the final bell? I don't even know what to say...

Comment

Yes, it's possible Levinsky COULD have defeated Greb (maybe if they had fought 50 times, he might have scored a win!), but in real life he never did. He met Greb 6 times and lost each time!

He did in fact beat Dillon. He went 2-6-2 against him... with the 2 wins coming in their last 3 fights, where Dillon was on the downslide.

The idea that Levinsky was this great defensive fighter... well, this is the first time I've heard someone claim that! He had a very sound chin, but other than that he was really nothing special, and most of the time he stepped up in class, he would lose. In 32 fights against world champs or future HOFers, he finished 7-21-4. Overall he lost (as already mentioned by Humean) 55 times... and not always against stellar opposition.

In fantasy matches there's of course no "right" or "wrong", as we will never really know, how such fights would play out... but it seems to me, that it's HIGHLY unlikely that Ward and Kovalev would lose to Levinsky.

Now about Greb... he had a staggering 59 fights against champs or HOFers! And maybe even more staggering: He didn't win any of these inside the distance. Not a single one! Not by KO, not by injury or even by DQ... and not by wearing his opponents down with his blistering pace, so they had to give up. No, in all these 59 fights his opponents managed to last the full distance... and yet you don't believe, Kovalev would be able to make it to the final bell? I don't even know what to say...
                  Kovelev slow down and Greb would be all over him ,from first Bell he could quit ,cuse of damage on face or ref/doc would stop it.

now fighters back then had less KOs

Yea Levinsky was not the best of his era but was competetive ,and would be with Kov/Ward too,probably would lose some.
                  Last edited by Canelo and GGG; 11-22-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Great lesson. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, Bat.

Comment

Working...
                      X