No announcement yet.

Top 5 P4P Ranking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    There is film on most and their opponents. To add to that you would have to think every newspaper report from that era was a lie to not see these fighters as ATG's.
    Unfortunately that's exactly the way some think. It's damn near impossible to crack that mindset because no matter what evidence you bring in they're going to reject it out of hand.
    Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
      Unfortunately that's exactly the way some think. It's damn near impossible to crack that mindset because no matter what evidence you bring in they're going to reject it out of hand.
      Great to see you back my friend!

Comment

Great to see you back my friend!
        Don't know if I'm staying long. I think it's been three years since I posted here, and I haven't followed boxing in the intervening years I'm afraid.....

Comment

1) Robinson
          2) Greb
          3) Armstrong
          4) Langford

There four for me are the first tier, and any differences distinguishing between them for me is a matter of taste.

5) This is the toughest spot for me. Second tier for me is Charles/Ali/Pep/B.Leonard, in that order. If someone wanted to they could make a case for SRL, Gans, Louis, or Duran in here.
          Last edited by Hamilcar Barca; 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

This could change daily but at this moment:

1Robinson
            2Ali
            3Pep
            4Armstrong
            5Louis

Comment

Past:P4P
              1.Sam Langford
              2.Henry Armstrong
              3.Mike McCallum
              4.Roberto Durán
              5.Marvin Hagler

Present:P4P
              1.Andre Ward
              2.Roman Gonzales
              3.Gennady Golovkin
              4.Terrence Crawford
              5.Vasyl Lomanchenko
              Last edited by Reyes101; 08-06-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Not in order;

Ray Robinson
                Marvin Hagler
                Willie Pep
                Roberto Duran
                Henry Armstrong

Comment

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
                  2. Henry Armstrong
                  3. Muhammad Ali
                  4. Roberto Duran
                  5. Sugar Ray Leonard

My criteria: Resume & Dominance

Comment

I would say it's due to the easier accessibility of research, both film and written that the internet has provided. Many great fighters from the "black murderers row" have benefited in the last 20 years. Looking at their opposition and film along with the era and circumstances they fought under it seems long overdue and justified in many cases, most notably Ezzard Charles.
                    Well that can be a good and bad thing. Seems like there were more truly hardcore fight fans back in the day and they were harder to be swayed then the 'group think' crowds of today. I mean i just seen a post today asking who thinks mayweather jr is a top 10 p4p ever haha. Its thinking like this in the newer generations that have me thinking that the old timers had more credibility. Imo

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
                      Well that can be a good and bad thing. Seems like there were more truly hardcore fight fans back in the day and they were harder to be swayed then the 'group think' crowds of today. I mean i just seen a post today asking who thinks mayweather jr is a top 10 p4p ever haha. Its thinking like this in the newer generations that have me thinking that the old timers had more credibility. Imo
                      I can't say with any if there were more hardcore fans or not. What I'd do know is boxing was much more mainstream, both hardcore and casuals read and watched it more regularly.

As far as the opinions on Mayweather......the internet magnifies everything. What people used to have to buy a newspaper and read they can find a multitude of different articles and opinions by looking at their phones. Most fans don't have a clue because they really don't do the research. It's easy to say a fighter is top ten when you no nothing of past greats. It's easy to say a fighters skill set today is amazing if you know nothing of the fighters he has emulated.

In all honesty, I've grown bored of discussing history and comparisons because there is always another nitwit you have to explain the obvious to.

I haven't done a list in awhile, but Floyd is probably top 25. My lists are based on both skill set and accomplishments. I have Harry Greb number 2 all time. No ever seen him fight, but it's hard to argue with his resume and the people who actually saw him fight. Are the end of the day it's about opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X