Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Evander Holyfield rank among all time great Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy was two time hwt champion not four. Paper titles don't count.

Comment

Depends how you view PED use.

Excellent cruiserweight though, top 5.

Comment

Lower half of the top 10. Probably #8, maybe #7 at best.

Comment

It is impossible to say with certainty who he beats, but I believe he gives almost everyone a good fight. Let's talk about who he cannot beat.

He cannot beat Ali. This is so easy I will only discuss it for pay. Oh, sure, he can beat the one Leon Spinks beat. Is that Ali? Never mind, you want the prime.

He cannot beat Dempsey. The mauler simply thwacks too hard and can last.

He cannot beat Liston. Same as above.

Holyfield gives everyone else a life and death struggle if he does not outright whomp them.

Against non champions his big worries would be Golata and Ibeabucci. Ike's biceps might have Evander pretty scared. If he can be coaxed into the ring, Ike will submit him to the pom pom attack test of continuous fire.

Holyfield falls distinctly between 4th and 18th. I repeat: he is no worse than 18th.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Holy was two time hwt champion not four. Paper titles don't count.
            If you are counting lineal only fair enough but I think most would give him the benefit of the doubt for when he beat Tyson as being a three time champion. Foreman held the title hostage.

Comment

I rate him at number 7 all time.

1. Louis
              2. Ali
              3. Holmes
              4. Johnson
              5. Lewis
              6. Foreman
              7. Holyfield
              8. Tyson
              9. Liston
              10. Wlad
              11. Marciano
              12. Frazier

Comment

Top 6-10 tier

Comment

Nobody mentioning how he got his ass kicked by James Tony and also got his ass kicked by Bobby Cyz and got lucky with a KO.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    No, mine is correct. Someone like bert cooper had more skills than 90% of anyone who fought in the 00s era. and he's one of the worst good fighters on Holyfield's resume.
                    bert cooper was a good fighter, the talent pool was a lot deeper in his time than it is today

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    there are so many ways to analyze holy's career. He fought almost everyone of his era . Was he consistent. No really but everyone declines when you fight as long as him. He fought bigger men but was he chemically enhanced? Consider all these factors and make your own assessment. I think his most entertaining and competitive fight was not at heavy but against Braxton in atlanta as a cruiser. If he did not gut it out and win that fight he may not achieved all he did at heavyweight.
                    Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                    Depends how you view PED use.

Excellent cruiserweight though, top 5.
                    the obvious questions about steroids are the only thing than makes me question holy's legacy

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    It is impossible to say with certainty who he beats, but I believe he gives almost everyone a good fight. Let's talk about who he cannot beat.

He cannot beat Ali. This is so easy I will only discuss it for pay. Oh, sure, he can beat the one Leon Spinks beat. Is that Ali? Never mind, you want the prime.

He cannot beat Dempsey. The mauler simply thwacks too hard and can last.

He cannot beat Liston. Same as above.

Holyfield gives everyone else a life and death struggle if he does not outright whomp them.

Against non champions his big worries would be Golata and Ibeabucci. Ike's biceps might have Evander pretty scared. If he can be coaxed into the ring, Ike will submit him to the pom pom attack test of continuous fire.

Holyfield falls distinctly between 4th and 18th. I repeat: he is no worse than 18th.
                    i agree with the bold, and ike would have bitten the rest of holy's ear off

Originally posted by embryo View Post
                    Nobody mentioning how he got his ass kicked by James Tony and also got his ass kicked by Bobby Cyz and got lucky with a KO.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                      bert cooper was a good fighter, the talent pool was a lot deeper in his time than it is today

the obvious questions about steroids are the only thing than makes me question holy's legacy

i agree with the bold, and ike would have bitten the rest of holy's ear off
                      Cooper would be a top 5 heavyweight today.

Comment

Working...
                      X