No announcement yet.

Foreman vs Lyle, best HW fight ever????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    Good luck with that one..they are just mere bums not worthy of a look in this section, they don't stack up like them other eras. didn't you know post 70's everyone stopped learning and became fat and out of shape not being able to go more than 12 rounds??????....lol....
    I seen a lot of good HW fights since I started watching but I didn't realize it was in the history section. I just saw the thread title. I don't think anyone is a bum who gets in the ring. Rahman is a 2 time champion & Sanders knocked out the best HW of the last decade to earn the WBO belt. So they are a part of history as former belt holders.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      I seen a lot of good HW fights since I started watching but I didn't realize it was in the history section. I just saw the thread title. I don't think anyone is a bum who gets in the ring.
      Well what do you think of Sanders?He was real fast at 6'4 230 pounds and southpaw/ huge left hook,i believe he would be able to compete in the 70's do you?
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
        Well what do you think of Sanders?He was real fast at 6'4 230 pounds and southpaw,i believe he would be able to compete in the 70's do you?
        I got a lot of his fights & he had fast hands with one punch power. In all reality he really didn't take boxing as serious after he lost to Nate Tubbs. He was 18-0 I believe beating up trialhorses. When he beat Bert Cooper people started to take notice. He was ranked as high as #5 in the world then BAM Tony Tubb's brother Nate KO'd him in 1 round. He just moonlighted as a prizefighter after that. He had some decent wins but really never took up boxing full time. He was more interested in running his family big game farm in South Africa. It would of been interesting to see how he did if he boxed full-time. When he fought Klitschko he was in the best shape of his career but every other fight he was never in peak form. He goes under the "What If He Was Dedicated" category like many other HWs of my generation...

Comment

f vs l very entertaining.

my faves~
          tua vs ike
          bowe vs holy all
          both bowe vs golota
          morrison vs razor
          morrison vs hipp
          holy vs cooper

Comment

Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
            f vs l very entertaining.

my faves~
            tua vs ike
            bowe vs holy all
            both bowe vs golota
            morrison vs razor
            morrison vs hipp
            holy vs cooper
            All great fights... another one to check out is Tim Witherspoon vs Ray Mercer. Tim Witherspoon was an avoided man in the 80s. Too bad he had such issues with Don King. It took him like 15 years to get his money owed to him. In his prime he didn't get all the best guys. The Bonecrusher Smith loss was devastating to his career. He wasn't in shape & had all the legal issues heading into that fight. Very underrated HW...

Comment

All great fights... another one to check out is Tim Witherspoon vs Ray Mercer. Tim Witherspoon was an avoided man in the 80s. Too bad he had such issues with Don King. It took him like 15 years to get his money owed to him. In his prime he didn't get all the best guys. The Bonecrusher Smith loss was devastating to his career. He wasn't in shape & had all the legal issues heading into that fight. Very underrated HW...
              spoon was a legit threat. ditto mercer. ill check it out. thanks

Comment

It was one of the most dramatic fights ever televised. Action was expected, but nothing like what was got.

The problem is, Foreman was a psychologically devasted man at that point in his career. Lyle was old and past it. Let's face it, they fought like amateurs, they were about as sloppy as two fighters can be. They were not lowdown club fighters, they had big names.

The fact that both men were mummy-slow, helped make it more exciting, because you could see everything that was going on without the aid of the slow motion camera.

Since it was a semi-meaningless fight in the first place, it loses significance and thereby some of its greatness. A fight that is great in every way has to have great consequences, otherwise it was just a highly entertaining or even a thrilling fight.

What this fight did to spectators at ringside, would necessarily fall quite short of what Dempsey/Firpo did to their audience. Foreman/Lyle, though probably the most exciting non-significant fight I can think of, and very exciting for the audience, was nothing like Dempsey/Firpo, which was for the heavyweight championship and offered as many surprises and as much drama.

The War/Gatti fights fall into the same category. No one denies they were great slugfests, but not enough was at stake and the skill level and primes were missing.

Holmes/Norton was a great fight. It had a lot of drama and consequence. Neither man had the huge punch, however, so it lacked the very highest drama. The fact that a young Holmes could not KO Norton says a lot about his lack of true power. Huge punchers always left Kenny quivering on the canvas, but not Holmes.

For audience frenzy I will take Dempsey/Firpo over anything else.

Comment

it was a good one for sure. Check out Corrie Sanders vs Hasim Rahman. That was one of the best in the last 16 years...
                  Peeped this fight earlier when I saw this post. That was a wild ass fight holy ****

Comment

They still owe us a minute

Comment

Working...
                    X