The Brown Bomber vs The Brockton Blockbuster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=them_apples;16912250]
    Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post

Louis was already losing steam before, he wasn't stopping opponents the same way and he physically looked slower. in his prime you can see how viscous his punches are. By the time he got to rocky I think a lot of up and comers would have beat him. A lot of people think Rocky fought a past prime Louis, this is wrong. Rocky fought a washed up Louis, a Louis that really wasn't capable of beating anyone good anymore. You are talking a guy in his 40's who has been in many wars and doesn't get any testosterone replacement therapy like nowadays. He's lost his speed and even his power, all he has is experience. The only man to ever have any success at this age in the heavyweight division was Foreman, and even he was incapable of beating the best young fighter at the time in Evander. Foreman also had the benefit of taking what, 12 years off?

Obviously I think that anyone who Brawls with Rocky will likely come out on the losing end most of the time, but Louis has a lot of accurate firepower he can throw back. Louis goes so far back that most people weren't around on this forum to ever see him fight, let alone in his prime. But take a look at his knockout reels - this man was knocking people completely out cold on a frequent basis. In the HD era nobody would have the balls to hang with him.
    Yes. If anyone had the firepower to crack The Rock's chin it would definitely be Louis. A lot of guys gave Louis room to work though. I don't think Rocky would have done that. When he fought Galento, things got shaky because Galento didn't give him much room.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr.DagoWop;16912997]
      Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Yes. If anyone had the firepower to crack The Rock's chin it would definitely be Louis. A lot of guys gave Louis room to work though. I don't think Rocky would have done that. When he fought Galento, things got shaky because Galento didn't give him much room.

In any case ,things would get shaky for Louis bc he had a shaky chin which directly on that PROVEN point alone gives Marciano the deciding edge.

Comment

[QUOTE=juggernaut666;16913147]

In any case ,things would get shaky for Louis bc he had a shaky chin which directly on that PROVEN point alone gives Marciano the deciding edge.
        That's one of the things that makes this a 50/50 fight.

Comment

I agree that Conn was faster but not by much. Ali definitely had the speed of someone 30-40 lbs lbs lighter.
          Actually Ali looks faster to me based on what I see in videos. But again, I'm just going by what I'm looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Actually Ali looks faster to me based on what I see in videos. But again, I'm just going by what I'm looking at.
            He looks faster because he is in the ring with a heavyweight average in speed.

Comment

He looks faster because he is in the ring with a heavyweight average in speed.
              He looked the same way against Floyd Patterson in 1965.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                He looked the same way against Floyd Patterson in 1965.
                He looked a faster against Patterson. Could have been because he was firing off more combinations against Patterson that he did with Liston. With Liston he was mainly working behind the jab.

Point is Ali and Conn look almost the same in speed. When two guys look the same on tape without being in the ring together then the guy who weighs 40 pounds lighter is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  Marciano's chin was just as shaky. Down against old man Walcott AND against old, blown up light heavyweight Archie Moore.

I don't see him surviving the blows of a prime Joe Louis.

Comment

He looked a faster against Patterson. Could have been because he was firing off more combinations against Patterson that he did with Liston. With Liston he was mainly working behind the jab.

Point is Ali and Conn look almost the same in speed. When two guys look the same on tape without being in the ring together then the guy who weighs 40 pounds lighter is faster.
                    I agree but my original point was to the poster that claimed Joe Louis faced Conn who was "much faster" than Ali. I don't agree that being 40 pounds lighter makes him faster without question. Especially when my eyes are telling me something else.

Comment

If they fought 3 times at there respective peaks joe would win 2

Comment

Working...
                      X