No announcement yet.

NBA Playoffs + Boxing =

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by butterfly1964
    is that supposed to be an insult to this thread?
    Nope, it was a serious question, because I know I haven't read any of your fight descriptions. And judging by the amount of comments pertaining to your writings of these fights (one, maybe...Yaman?), it doesn't appear like anyone else is either.

Comment

I think he's doing too much work. He should go 1 fight for each of the first 16, and then best of 3 for the elite eight, and then best of 5 for the final four, and best of 7 for the last two. Otherwise, he's got a lot of typing to do.

Comment

vs.

Welcome to Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA the home ring for larry holmes who is fighting sonny liston. these guys are the two best laft jabs in heavyweight history. what a battle this will be. 30,000 fans packed the arena to see holmes the legendary hw champion. holmes weighed 209 1/2 today. liston was in phenominal shape at 212. let's go to the press conference.

Holmes: "I'm gonna make you look like a fool. You haven't fought anybody of my calibur. You'll regret you even entered this tournament!"

Liston: "If you try to fight me, I'll kill you! If you run away, I'll catch you, then kill you!"

Wow, well, there you have it folks. Here's the tale of the tape.

Larry Holmes

height: 6'-3"
        weight: 209 1/2
        reach: 80"
        record: 36-0-0 (27ko)

Sonny Liston

height: 6'-1"
        weight: 212
        reach: 84"
        record: 28-1-0 (18ko)

and charles sonny liston now is in the ring, wearing a silk black robe, with Willie Reddish, his trainer. Boos could be heard in the crowd. and larry holmes is now bouncing down the aisle and he being cheered. he's wearing a white terrycloth robe. he is with Richie Giachetti. holmes is a 4 to 3 favorite.

Michael Buffer: "Ladies and gentlemen, llllllets get ready to ruumblllllllllee! in the blue corner from Philadelphia, PA, wearing black trunks with white trim, he stands six-foot-one, weighing two-twelve, The Big Bear, Clarles Sonnyyy Liistoonn! Liistoon!! and in the red corner, from easton, PA, standing six-three, weighing two ooh nine and a half pounds, The easton assassin, Laaaryyyyyyy Hoooooooolmesssss!!(loud applause)

As referee mark conn gives instructions, liston applies his bone-chilling stare at holmes' face. holmes just grins at liston in anticipation.

Round 1: Holmes circles liston and pops his famous left jab. liston is not bothered, but jabs as well, and it suddenly becomes a jabbing battle. holmes is cornered once, and liston pounds his body. during infrequent clinches, liston is able to outmuscle larry somewhat: both men are up very quickly and ready for action.

Round 2: Holmes is now using his jab effectively and countering well to boot. liston is throwing his jab and throwing bombs, but holmes blocks most of them. this is holmes' round: liston is listening to Reddish intently and holmes is off his stool quickly and up on his toes.

Round 3: Holmes is continuing to fight off the backfoot, and liston is cutting the ring off occasionally. holmes is doing everything right and keeping liston away: liston and holmes are still fresh, and ready for action.

Round 4: holmes is continuing to outbox and outclass liston, but liston is patient. liston manages to land some jabs and hooks, but holmes still does enough to win over the judges: Liston needs some rest from all the chasing and holmes is still fresh. Giachetti can be seen giving holmes instructions.

Round 5: Holmes is still circling and outboxing sonny, but charles closes the gap a little and manages to pound the body and land the left jab. liston is doing much better in cuttin off the ring and jabbing at holmes. the round is about even: liston noddes his head when reddish says something to him , and holmes is up off his stool early.

Round 6: Liston continues to cut off the ring and lands some punches that shakes holmes a little, but holmes is doing pretty good as well, holmes gains a little confidence and putts some good punches together, that worries sonny. sony eyes are swollen from holmes jab, but holmes' condition is not much better. some infighting is done, with liston dominated that phase of the fight, holmes still keeps away most of the time: liston is getting help with that eye. holmes looks ok.

Round 7: Holmes is now flatfooted. liston is cutting off the ring better and landing a host of jabs. holmes looks sloppy as he thinks he has it in the bag. liston still is landing saome body shots and is lading huge right hand to the face. holmes chin takes them, though. liston is wearing down holmes with more body shots as the round ends: liston is cofident, while holmes needs some rest.

Round 8: Liston is now throwing his "big" bombs, but holmes stays away from them. holmes uses his jab to keep liston away, but liston slowly closes the gap and corners them. it seems that sonny's top-notch conditioning is paying off, and he is fast in cutting off the ring on the elusive holmes. liston dominated this round as his body shots wear down holmes.

Round 9: Liston smells blood, he throws a 5-punch combo that staggeres holmes, but holmes shows he could take a good punch. holmes fights back, but slugging it out with liston smells disaster! liston drops holmes with a huge right hand. holmes is up at the count of 4. liston continues his attack. liston looks great as he pummeles holmes, but holmes holds on: giachetti is using smelling salts on liston to revive him. liston in confident.

Round 10: This time Liston is more patient, cause he knows that holmes is pretty well spent and sonny pounds the body more. holmes is on the ropes and is fighting back now that he realizes that he's hurt. liston lands his jab effectively anbd takes the punches holmes throws: Liston is poised and ready. holmes looks like he's done for the day.

Round 11: Liston goes after holmes, pounds the body and drops holmes with a one-two combo. holmes tries to get up, but to no avail. the fight is over. liston has a big grin on his face as he wins fight #1.

buffer: "The winner by a knockout at 0:34 sec. of the eleventh round, Sonnyy liiiston! a few phili fans cheer, but most of the crowd boos as liston walks over to console holmes and walk out of the ring.

Liston: "i can't believe how well he could take a punch! i hit him with shots that would drop the rock of gibraltar!"

Holmes: "He hits almost as hard as ernie shavers. that guy is good. i don't know how i'm gonna beat him in a 15 round fight!"

well, there you have it, folks. don't go away, we'll send the cameras over to Philadelphia, PA!
        Last edited by butterfly1964; 03-03-2007, 02:24 PM.

Comment

It does seem like a ridiculous amount of effort and so few comments. Here, Butterfly, I'll say this: you try not to let your biases get the best of you in this thread. I thoroughly expected you to have Holyfield beat Marciano around the ring and knock him out. I do think Ali stopping prime Jeffries in five rounds was far fetched though.

Comment

Dont listen to them bro lol. I read the fights every day and so far, i think you did a pretty good job except for the big amount of KO's. I'll be waiting for Tyson-Frazier

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                It does seem like a ridiculous amount of effort and so few comments. Here, Butterfly, I'll say this: you try not to let your biases get the best of you in this thread. I thoroughly expected you to have Holyfield beat Marciano around the ring and knock him out. I do think Ali stopping prime Jeffries in five rounds was far fetched though.
                pallleeaseee! holy's power is not that great, and besides, that only one game. they may have to fight up to seven times in order to pick a winner.

Comment

You're going to type out the descriptions of each of these fights when these same fighters are going to fight each other multiple times??

Why not just do a normal tournament where you lose once and you're out? This could go on for months!

Comment

vs.

And welcome to the Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA, the former home of the Philadelphia 76ers, however, now home of "smokin'" joe frazier. he'll be fighting the baby bull, Iron mike tyson! man, i'm salivating just thinking about how this fight will go. i remember saying in the last fight that holmes and liston were the two best left jabs in hw history, well these men are definetely the two best left hooks in hw history! frazier came in at a very lean 205, while tyson was trim and brolic at 218. at the press conference, both men had nothing but respect for each other.

Frazier: "Well, i'm ready, willing and able. i know it will be a tough fight against a great champion, and i'm fully prepared."

Tyson: "Wow, it's an honor to go against such a great fighter like frazier. i hope i will gain his respect in the fight."

However, during the press conference, just when everything is going good, a familiar face shows up. It's a bird! No i'ts a plane!. No, it's Muhammad Ali!! lol!! Ali shows up at the press conference taunting both fighters.

Ali: "I'll whup you joe fraziah like i did in thrilla in manila, chump. you big, black gorilla!! And i want you too, mike tyson. After i whup you tyson, I'ma take that flat ugly nose of yours and rearange it so maybe you can talk properly!!"(hysterical laughter from the crowd)

Frazier: "Don't worry clay. if we do happen to fight, i'll whup your ass just like i did in '71, ok, half breed?"

tyson now turns into the animal he was in the 90's.

Tyson: "You dumb ****er ali, i'll dustroy you, i own you. a wanna eat yo children and **** your wife. i'll **** you till you love me ******!"

Ali walks out of the room screaming, "i am thee greatest! i can't be beat!"

wow, what a press conference. both men really want to beat each other now, because they wan't to face ali. here's the tale of the tape.

Joe Frazier

height: 5'-11"
                    weight: 205
                    reach: 71"
                    record: 27-0-0 (23ko)

Mike Tyson

height: 5'-11"
                    weight: 218
                    reach: 71"
                    record: 35-0-0 (31ko)

dimensions are pretty much even, except for the weight differential. now mike tyson is making his way through the ring, and a few cheers can be heard. tyson is wearing no robe and no socks! now frazier is walking into the ring and the 75,000 screaming fans are going wild. frazier is wearing a bright green robe. tyson is with kevin rooney, frazier is with yancee durham. now let's listen to ring announcer, michael buffer!

buffer: Ladies and gentleman, llllllets get ready to rumblllllllllle! 15 rounds! introducing in the blue corner, from catskill, NY, wearing solid black trunks, standing five foot eleven, weighing two-eighteen, The Iron one, "irroooonn" miiiiike tyyyyyyyyyyysoooooon! and in the red corner(loud cheering) from Philadelphia, PA, wearing bright green trunks, he stands also 5'-11" weighing two hundreed fiiive pounds, "Smooookin" jooooooooooe fraaaaaaazieeeeeeeeerrrr!!

mark conn: "i want a good clean fight. the standing 8-count is in effect for tonight. upon scoring a knockdown, go to the farthest neutral corner. three-knockdown rule is waived. any questions? shake hands."

Both men put the stare on each other. frazier is a 5 to 4 favorite to win.

Round 1: Both men com out bobbing and weaving. both men connect simultaneously with left hooks. during the frequent clinches, both men pound each other's body against the ropes, in fact most of the round is in fighting. both men connect ith tantalyzing hooks to the body. tyson then thrown a terrific uppercut that stunns frazier, tyson then follows up with some fast combos to the had and body. at this point, frazier is bobbing and weaving like crazy, trying to avoid tyson's blows. frazier somehow holds on: frazier needs a little rest, and so does tyson, somewhat. they are up at the warning bell and ready.

Round 2: both men comes out and frazier connects with a solid left hook to the jaw and then a right hand followed by another left hook that stunns tyson. tyson then tries to hold on, but frazier is strong in there. and still pounds the body during clinches. tyson then recovers and throws a fast three punch combo to the face that drops frazier. DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER! Frazier is up at 5, but tyson presses on and throws a textbook left hook that drops him again! frazier is up at 3, and tyson lands some bodyshots, and frazier is bobbing to try and avoid tyson's shots. the round ends: tyson is listening intently to rooney's instructions. yank is cursing at frazier saying, "Come on, cocksucker. take you head out your ass!"

Round 3: frazier comes out and throws a huge left hook that misses as tyson rolls out of the way. rtyson uppercuts frazier and then hits him with a big right hand and down frazier goes again! frazier gets up and tries to tie tyson up, but tyson manges to free himself and lands two bodyshots and then another vicious uppercut that floores frazier again! frazier is slow in getting up and takes the standing 8-count. frazier goes after tyson againg trying to land one big bomb, but to no avail and a tyson fluury sends him down again. frazier is up at nine and is defenseless. tyson moves in to finish with two lefthooks to the body and a left hook to the chin, followed by an over hand right. frazier is down and get up at the count of 16. the fight is over! tyson goes over to console frazier, and so does yank.

buffer: "The winner by a knockout at 2:13 of the third round, Iron mike tysonnn!"(a few boos can be heard)

tyson: "he's a great fighter and i am happy that i pulled off the upset."

frazier: "he has fists of dynamite. only foreman ever hit me harder. he's good, but i'm confident that i'll still come back and beat him to move on to the second round!"

Well, there you have it, folks. this is butterfly1964 saying good bye from the Spectrum. Once again, the final scores are Part1-johnson ko7, Part2-foreman ko3, Part3-liston ko11, Part4-tyson ko3. post what you think about the outcome of these matchups. goodnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                      You're going to type out the descriptions of each of these fights when these same fighters are going to fight each other multiple times??

Why not just do a normal tournament where you lose once and you're out? This could go on for months!
                      it will last as long as the NBA Playoffs does.

Comment

Working...
                      X