No announcement yet.

Super Heavyweight era..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Heavyweight era..?

Hello people just wanted to get your opinions on the state of the Heavyweight division at the moment, good & bad.

It seems as though the division has gone through an evolutionary change (in my eyes), we're seeing big guys 6 ft 4 + who may not pass the eye test but can most certainly box. They also seem to have a more granite chin than those from the previous era who were the same size although some of you may point to 'Cunninghams' flooring of Fury, which I whole heartedly acknowledge.

Are we going to see a little guy in the mould of Povetkin or Haye ever dominate the Heavyweight division?

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
    Hello people just wanted to get your opinions on the state of the Heavyweight division at the moment, good & bad.

It seems as though the division has gone through an evolutionary change (in my eyes), we're seeing big guys 6 ft 4 + who may not pass the eye test but can most certainly box. They also seem to have a more granite chin than those from the previous era who were the same size although some of you may point to 'Cunninghams' flooring of Fury, which I whole heartedly acknowledge.

Are we going to see a little guy in the mould of Povetkin or Haye ever dominate the Heavyweight division?
    Cunningham caught Fury standing square-on, Fury was on the ball of his foot, so went over. Fury did not seem badly hurt or on queer street.

IMO we should have a Super-Heavyweight division 230lb and over
    Heavyweight = 205lbs and over
    Cruiserweight = 190lbs and over
    Light-Heavyweight = 175lbs and over

Today's Heavyweight division is the most exciting division in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Cunningham caught Fury standing square-on, Fury was on the ball of his foot, so went over. Fury did not seem badly hurt or on queer street.

IMO we should have a Super-Heavyweight division 230lb and over
      Heavyweight = 205lbs and over
      Cruiserweight = 190lbs and over
      Light-Heavyweight = 175lbs and over

Today's Heavyweight division is the most exciting division in the sport.
      That's the scary thing 205lb to 230lb is a massive difference, especially in this hurt game. I actually been meaning to ask you a question but I didn't think you would respond. Did the Super Heavyweight lineage/dominance start from Lennox Lewis?

Lennox Lewis > Klitschko bro's > Tyson Fury/Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post

I think that it is possible to see a skilled 225 pounder take one of these larger fighters. Only time will tell.

Comment

There will certainly come a time when a heavyweight not considered a "super heavyweight" dominates the division again.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
            I think that it is possible to see a skilled 225 pounder take one of these larger fighters. Only time will tell.
            Hopefully Povetkin can mix it up in the land of the giants because for as far as I can see, there aren't many talented smaller HW's who I think can pose a threat to the bigger guys. Lennox got his against Oliver as well as Haseem & the Klits have been licked by smaller men (Fury pun) so history suggests it's likely. Not sure if it's anytime soon though.

Comment

I agree with Sonnyboy that a super heavyweight division for 230 lbs and over should be made. Actually, This is something I have been thinking about for the past couple of weeks.

The time needs to come back when Heavyweights were the people's champ not some overgrown ogre from an armpit of a country in eastern europe.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
                A 225 pound fighter would be considered SHW....I don't see this happening anytime soon of a 225 or under dominating...People just fail to realize the top ranked guys and if they did they would see almost everyone in the top 20 is above 220 pounds,and I don't even know if theres an actual 220 pounder that fights steady at 220? Fighters like all sports will continue to get bigger,so the possibility of another Tyson is remote chances anyway. You have to come to reality and that is it will take a special individual below that 225 pound mark to take over a modern Hw era. you have Wilder but hes around 225/230 but hes also 6'7 and athletic which makes up for his technical down falls.

A new 205 and over is pretty pointless....unless the division makes a 225 plus one it will defeat the purpous of having any meaning to it.
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-01-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

IMO not enough talent to further divide the 200+ division..

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                    IMO not enough talent to further divide the 200+ division..
                    How do you figure that? 99 % of he top 50 HW's are 230 or over. I didn't do a check on top 100 but im sure they are over 225 too. Haye may be the dark horse at 225 or so but that's one guy....plenty of talent to fill a new class....statistics are right there its not even disputable.
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-01-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X