Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AlexKid 'questions about punchers, chins, hiprotation etc.' superduper thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
    Gotta be Tua
    what makes you say that? He rarely even had a right hand that fired properly, his left hook was monstrous but a good right is better than a good left hence why you have to put someone like foreman above Tua

Comment

hARDEST PUNCHER EVER AT CRUISERWEIGHT? INCLUDES OLD HEAVIES

Like marciano and louis

Comment

Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
        The shot that dropped Browne didn't look that hard, but then Chagaev's always been about precision and speed over raw power, and that sneaky left is one of the best shots he throws. The shot that Browne threw though... wow, talk about heavy handed. Chagaev's head snapped right back and you could tell instantly he was majorly buzzed. Not even Wlad could do that to him, and Povetkin never came close to hurting him. Browne's got some serious firepower and he proved it last night.

Incidentally, I don't think Anthony was saying that guys outside of boxing couldn't punch, but that this thread was specifically about boxers, which is fair enough. There have been and continue to be some huge punchers operating in those sports, especially K-1 where the drug testing has always been a little, ah, lenient.
        Yes I mentioned Browne partly because of his ties with kickboxing and MMA. I remember a couple of cage fights he had where he knocked guys cold with a glancing shot and they had to be carried out. Yeah I always knew he had serious power but at this level I had doubts and he showed me I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
          Semmy's jab was ridiculous, but his right wasn't really anything special. In fact none of his "power" side attacks stood out at all. It was all lead hand and lead foot stuff. His jab really punched through the target, almost like a cross, and he put so much weight behind it that very few could withstand the shot without taking major damage. It's a really unique way of getting power into that particular shot and one which heavyweight boxers might do well to emulate if they're on the larger end of the spectrum (I suspect the fact that Semmy was so huge relative to his opponents was a big part of what made it so heavy).
          Exactly... He wasn't what you would call a power puncher all around, but his jab was the power punch, lol... And his lead kicks of course...

Was almost 2 meters tall, or over it, tallest and biggest by far, only Hari was almost as tall but not as "naturally" thick, more artificial muscles than anything else...

When he did load up on his jab throwing it to much shorter/lighter opponents it was his ko punch... K1 was a bit of a freak show though, many had no business being in the ring with that monster, props to Aerts for solving him a few times...

Comment

Not very familiar with the cruiserweight division, if you put in old "heavies" it can get complicated...

However, i'd say Michael Moorer has a good case here, even compared to old "heavies", if i'm not wrong he has a 100% ko record when he was a cruiser, and he still had pop at HW...

Earnie Shavers also was very effective against what today you would call cruisers/light-heavies...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Ledochowski View Post
              Not very familiar with the cruiserweight division, if you put in old "heavies" it can get complicated...

However, i'd say Michael Moorer has a good case here, even compared to old "heavies", if i'm not wrong he has a 100% ko record when he was a cruiser, and he still had pop at HW...

Earnie Shavers also was very effective against what today you would call cruisers/light-heavies...
              Moorer never fought at cruiserweight. He skipped from being WBO 175 lb champion to being a full heavyweight. His competition at 175 was weak.

Comment

Evander Holyfield.

Comment

My not-very-scientific top ten

Ezra Sellers
                  Earnie Shavers
                  David Haye
                  Dmitri Kudryashov
                  Evander Holyfield
                  Joe Louis
                  Marco Huck
                  Michael Moorer
                  Herbie Hide
                  Marciano (why not?)

There are tons of big punchers in the division right now who could be considered. Chakhiev, Kudryashov (already mentioned), Lebedev, Kalenga, Makabu and Huck are all huge punchers. Ezra Sellers is in my opinion the hardest punching cruiserweight ever. He knocked Carl Thompson unconscious with a single punch, where Haye punched himself out on Thompson's iron dome. The man had freakish power.

Comment

eARNEI sHAVERS WAS BELOW 200LBS? Maybe when he was young?

In that case

1) Earnie Shavers (super super super heavy hands, wrecking ball)

2) Marciano (unnatural power, just so concussive like no one ive ever seen before)

3) Joe Louis (the perfect puncher imo, very heavy very fast hands, maybe could be a little faster)

4) Herbie Hyde (almost the perfect puncher, super fast explosive and powerful, slightly weak on heaviness)

5) David Haye (dont mistake muscle mass for punching power, and he really has to amp up his power with big wide shots etc to get more power)
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 03-07-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                      eARNEI sHAVERS WAS BELOW 200LBS? Maybe when he was young?

In that case

1) Earnie Shavers

2) Marciano

3) Joe Louis

4) Herbie Hyde

5) David Haye
                      Eranie Shavers was 210, which is what I'm considering as the uppermost limit for cruiserweight when rehydration is taken into account (Huck, for instance, comes in on fight night at around 210lbs). So yeah, Shavers would technically make the grade, considering he was hardly ripped to the bone as it was…

Also, if you're including David Haye you need to include Ezra Sellers, who was clearly a harder puncher than Haye at cruiser. Watch their respective performances against Carl Thompson to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X