Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali is overated thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw, just in case anyone didnt get the jist, this whole thread is a joke. i was being sarcastic.

Comment

the boy who cried "wolf"

Originally posted by SuzieQ49
      btw, just in case anyone didnt get the jist, this whole thread is a joke. i was being sarcastic.
      What's funny is that some of the things you said were close to the truth, but of course not all of them. The biggest mystery for me about Ali's career is why he nearly always won all the close fights that he was in, even fights that looked like he lost by a clear margin. Was it corruption? Were judges and\or referees paid off under the table? Or was it that Ali had such an unbelievable mystique that neither the referees nor the judges dared to score a round against him that was reasonably close? To this day I don't know, but I followed most of his career and remember well how much he was deified by the media. In my opinion he still is being deified!

Some people want to idolize him, others want to tear him down, but I would just like to know the simple truth.

Comment

Ali wasn't a bum.

The fact of the matter is, he wasn't too fast for every other fighter in history. He wasn't unbeatable from 1964-1967; in fact, I think guys with good speed and applicable pressure such as Louis, Marciano, and even Tyson could have given Ali lots of trouble. Without butterfly1964 around at the moment, we are allowed to express the truth about Ali. The truth without having to read comments like, "Ali was the greatest fighter ever!"...even though his prime only consisted of 2-3 fights, according to butterfly. Or, "Ali KO'd Folley, which means he would tear Joe Louis's head off!"...even though Folley and Louis have nothing in common, including talent levels. And my personal favorites are the ones where he claims that because Ali beat some quasi-journeyman, who beat another journeyman at one time, then there's no way that Fighter X, who has a similar style to that journeyman, could have beaten Ali or the journeyman. Finally, there's the comments he throws around about how the top 32 fighters of all-time are all from the 1960's and 1970's; and you'll see it in his lists. Then he will claim that, of his favorite fighters, only 3-4 of them are from that era. Notice that he says "favorite" which was not the original subject being addressed.

Okay, this was quite a tangent, and I really don't have anything against the guy. But why in the heck was he allowed to post so prolifically given that his statements lacked any evidence (or logic, reason, etc.) whatsoever? Even so, I think we can probably stop picking on him.

Maybe he has suffered a recent loss and is taking some time off before trying to climb the ranks again.

Comment

boxing is way to watered down now in these times u all ready know whos going to win even before they box and the fights u really want to watch never happen or fighters fight years after their prime so ali fought any body any time money wasnt an issue now its about the money or promoters dont take riskey fights because sometimes its there only champ and if there man losses there out of the game i want to watch antonio margarito -cotto or margarito-mayweter but it wont happen to much to loose nobody want antonio right now but 5 years from now everbody will want him .i dont think mayweter is that good and i really think castillio wooped his ass the first time margarito will knock him out

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel
            Ali wasn't a bum.

The fact of the matter is, he wasn't too fast for every other fighter in history. He wasn't unbeatable from 1964-1967; in fact, I think guys with good speed and applicable pressure such as Louis, Marciano, and even Tyson could have given Ali lots of trouble. Without butterfly1964 around at the moment, we are allowed to express the truth about Ali. The truth without having to read comments like, "Ali was the greatest fighter ever!"...even though his prime only consisted of 2-3 fights, according to butterfly. Or, "Ali KO'd Folley, which means he would tear Joe Louis's head off!"...even though Folley and Louis have nothing in common, including talent levels. And my personal favorites are the ones where he claims that because Ali beat some quasi-journeyman, who beat another journeyman at one time, then there's no way that Fighter X, who has a similar style to that journeyman, could have beaten Ali or the journeyman. Finally, there's the comments he throws around about how the top 32 fighters of all-time are all from the 1960's and 1970's; and you'll see it in his lists. Then he will claim that, of his favorite fighters, only 3-4 of them are from that era. Notice that he says "favorite" which was not the original subject being addressed.

Okay, this was quite a tangent, and I really don't have anything against the guy. But why in the heck was he allowed to post so prolifically given that his statements lacked any evidence (or logic, reason, etc.) whatsoever? Even so, I think we can probably stop picking on him.

Maybe he has suffered a recent loss and is taking some time off before trying to climb the ranks again.

Your right.... i personally believe ali to be the greatest, but to assume he couldn't be beaten is ****en ridiculous.

Comment

Heckler, quit being a biased nuthugger and watch the Thrilla again. Frazier was winning that fight 8 rounds to 6, everyone who knows how to score a fight has it that way. Put the bias aside for once, will you? It's really irritating. Frazier was beating Ali from corner to corner all night, clearly winning rounds 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier's 15th round
                Heckler, quit being a biased nuthugger and watch the Thrilla again. Frazier was winning that fight 8 rounds to 6, everyone who knows how to score a fight has it that way. Put the bias aside for once, will you? It's really irritating. Frazier was beating Ali from corner to corner all night, clearly winning rounds 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11.
                You just posted in the "Frazier wasn't great" thread that Ali clearly won all three of these fights.

Props to Heckler for reading my post.

Comment

I am an Ali fan and I think that he was the greatest heavyweight of all time because he fought and beat the best competition. He did "win" his share of close fights and his charisma might have had something to do with it. However, there is a difference between a close decision and a gift. That is something that way too many people on this site have a hard time differentiating between. Either that or they don't know how to properly score a fight. Anyway, I think Ali was not as good as his some of his fans and some of the media would have you believe, and not as bad as his haters and detractors would have you believe.

Comment

back in those days in order to be champ u had to knok out the champ because their wasnt any chumps everybodywas good and every body had a decent chin boxing was a sport now its about the money and whoever sells seats is going to be champ thell hand a beltto him money money

Comment

Boxing is too inconclusive. Marciano would defeat Ali once out of 3 times. Foreman may have demolish Marciano but look what Frazier did (the guy was in the hospital for several months) to Ali. Marcino is a upgrade to Frazier and he could very well defeated Ali. Foreman probably would of destroyed Rocky (bad styles mathup)
                      Ali probably would of KO foreman but Ali probably could of defeated Rocky. Boxing is too inconsited and the best we could do is give in out oponions. Just IMO

Comment

Working...
                      X