Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, but this boxers were /are incredibly overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lambert666
    Rock retired undefeated after beating the best fighters in the world.

Hagler went life and death with old guys, bums and small fighters all the time. (when he wasn't just outright losing to them)

Rock is a icon that will forever be rememberd
    No-one knows who Marvin hagler is
    (outside of boxing nerds)
    He retired unbeaten because he wanted no part of Patterson or Liston, who’d both have beaten him. You must consider Mayweather to be the greatest of all time then as he’s about to retire with a 50-0 record this year and he’s had way more world title fights than Marciano. You say Hagler beat old men yet Rocky beat a 45-year-old for the title and was badly losing that fight until he pulled it out with a lucky punch. They pulled Joe Louis out of retirement so Rocky could pad his record with another old legend who had no chance. Archie Moore was 42 when he fought the Rock so what are you talking about!?

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I needed a good laugh.

I suggest you go back and check the dates you fcukin imbecile.
      I see you conveniently ignored the rest of my post because you had no comeback for it. I just checked those dates kid and Patterson was 25-1 when Rocky last defended his title in 1955. Floyd would claim the vacant title the following year so it does appear that Rocky did indeed avoid him. Instead of fighting a young Patterson he decided to fight a 42-year-old Moore.

Comment

Rock retired undefeated after beating the best fighters in the world.

Hagler went life and death with old guys, bums and small fighters all the time. (when he wasn't just outright losing to them)

Rock is a icon that will forever be rememberd
        No-one knows who Marvin hagler is
        (outside of boxing nerds)
        This guy is either, LondonRingRules under an alias or his long lost cousin. Ridiculous.

Comment

"Instead of fighting a young Patterson he decided to fight a 42-year-old Moore".................

Moore had just gone 3 years undefeated with an 25-0 record fighting as the light heavy champ and heavyweight contender. He was the number one heavy contender at the time of the bout.
          When Marciano retired Liston wasn't even a 10 round fighter yet!
          Marciano did not duck Paterson or Liston it was a well known fact that Marciano struggled with back troubles to the point that running and midsection work was impossible. Marciano's condition was a huge part of his success so when your attributes are compromised you need to get out the pain game.

Paterson defeated Moore the next year by tko but soon ran into Ingemar, Liston, Ali and Quarry and didn't fare well at that time.

Ray

Comment

Rocky is overrated by some and if he was black he'd barely be remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              To be overrated, there has to be a large contingent of fans, media or colleagues who place you on some mythical pedestal without truly breaking down their career and accomplishments.

Ali, Mayweather and Hopkins top my list of most overrated. That doesn't mean I don't acknowledge their talents. They are talented fighters in their respective divisions, but their resumes, skills and accomplishments don't measure up to the credit and praise they are given by fans, some media members and themselves.

Ali was a media sensation. Love him or hate him he got ratings, put asses in seats and really stirred things up. He came along at a time when boxing's popularity was waning. He was a good fighter but not great. He did a lot of things wrong in the ring...fought with hands at his sides, leaned back from punches, rarely through body punches, dropped his right to far when throwing an uppercut, etc. But, he was big and fast for a HW and he could get away with using his reflexes, footwork and speed against slower, lumbering HWs. He also fought a lot of opponents who were much smaller. He was a big HW and had clear size advantages over opponents such as Patterson, Moore, Jones, Cooper, Chuvalo, Quarry, Bonavena, Blin, Coopman, Foster just to name a few. He was the beneficiary of two fixes versus Liston, got gifts against Jones, Norton, Young, and Shavers.

Hopkins hid out at 160 so he could pad his record and break Monzon's title defense streak at 160. Fought guys like Robert Allen three times and a bunch of long forgotten never-was no-hopers, never fought overseas to face Benn, Collins, Calzaghe or Eubank, his biggest wins came over blown up WW in Tito and DLH. His best career win was Tarver. But, he fought into and beyond middle age and the media gave him accolades for competing at such an advanced age. He stunk it up in the rematch with Jones trying to draw fouls and hoping for a DQ win with his acting antics. He was dirty, somewhat boring and his reign at 160 has a lot of holes. He avoided the move to 168 so he wouldn't have to face a prime Jones in a rematch or James Toney.

Mayweather is the ultimate smoke and mirrors champion. Never fought one ELITE level fighter in their prime or at their best. Waited out opponents until they weren't at their best, retired when things got hot at 147, and admitted that he avoided Pacquiao in his prime by "marinating" the fight for a few years in order to make it a bigger PPV success. Had JMM come up two weight classes for a catch weight he demanded, then doesn't make weight. Rarely fought guys bigger than him and always put them at a disadvantage so they wouldn't be at their best. Similar to Ali, he chants he is TBE to the casual media and the moniker sticks among his fans and non-boxing sportswriters. He has created this era of money first, titles second, and cherry-picking in order to preserve that "0" that is ever so popular today. He got gifts versus Castillo I, DLH and Maidana I.

Let the hate flow, I can already hear the angry fingers on the keyboards typing up hostile replies. Ha!
              Not from me, that all sounds pretty accurate. Especially the stuff about Mayweather. And the fact that he admitted to letting the Pacquiao fight marinate puts more of the onus on him for that fight not happening than with Manny, even though both were to blame.

When did he admit this? Is there an article or video where he says it?

Comment

Originally posted by GaMo View Post
                He retired unbeaten because he wanted no part of Patterson or Liston, who’d both have beaten him. You must consider Mayweather to be the greatest of all time then as he’s about to retire with a 50-0 record this year and he’s had way more world title fights than Marciano. You say Hagler beat old men yet Rocky beat a 45-year-old for the title and was badly losing that fight until he pulled it out with a lucky punch. They pulled Joe Louis out of retirement so Rocky could pad his record with another old legend who had no chance. Archie Moore was 42 when he fought the Rock so what are you talking about!?
                Nobody pulled Joe Louis out of retirement. He came back himself 2 years after retiring because he owed half a million dollars to the IRS and needed the money. He got the Marciano fight because he had a 1 year, 8 fight win streak at the time and was offered a Marciano fight at the time for a big purse, so he accepted.

Comment

Ironic but if I made a thread and said Ray Robinson was great, I would get two replies.

However if I made a thread and said Robinson was over rated, I would get fifty replies.

The beast of ignorance is unfortunately over fed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                    This guy is either, LondonRingRules under an alias or his long lost cousin. Ridiculous.
                    Ha ha! London is an admin over at KO Boxing lol

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      Not from me, that all sounds pretty accurate. Especially the stuff about Mayweather. And the fact that he admitted to letting the Pacquiao fight marinate puts more of the onus on him for that fight not happening than with Manny, even though both were to blame.

When did he admit this? Is there an article or video where he says it?
                      I'd like to see evidence of this statement as well. We know for a fact that Floyd had agreed to all terms for the fight back in 2009, and it was Pacquiao who walked away because of the stricter drug testing.

Also, the person who is famous for using the "let it marinate" phrase is Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum.

He said it when people were clamoring for Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Juan Manuel Lopez. That was another fight that we never got when both fighters were prime.

Comment

Working...
                      X