No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis: A Career Re-Examined

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    maybe like Lennox Lewis avoiding of Corrie Sanders & Michael Moorer along with John Ruiz, Chris Byrd & Wlad Klitschko...

Your opinion of Riddick Bowe is meaningless. You don't have a clue what you are blabbering about.
    Yup....... Lewis in a last ditch effort as the belt is hitting the side of the can makes bowe an offer, thats how it went down.... You have been sodomized in this thread Sonny!

Comment

You are ignoring the Lewis agreement date in conjunction with the Bowe binning the belt date... London/ USA..

Lewis knew Bowe was going to bin the belt.. so to save face shouted, "Hey Bowe, ` hold on mate. i wanna accept 25% "...To late was the call.
      @ about 2: 30 this says a different story.

'Lewis's London-based manager, Frank Maloney, countered with a jab, saying he had rejected Newman's offer because Lewis had commitments to fight Frank Bruno, a fellow Englishman who is a former European champion and a perennial heavyweight hopeful, and Tommy Morrison, the hard-punching conqueror of George Foreman.

Duva, Maloney's Jersey-based tag-team partner, joined the fray, accusing Newman of deliberately waiting until Lewis had agreed to the Bruno and Morrison fights before making yet another showboating offer Newman knew Lewis could not accept because of the commitments. Had the offer come in May, Duva said, Lewis would have accepted.'

What I got from this big mess of a headache is This Newman always pitched offers when lewis was already scheduled to ffight others....

AND THEN THIS...LOL

But Jose Sulaiman, president of the W.B.C., said he still hoped Bowe would agree to fight Lewis.

"I hope Bowe will modify his position," Sulaiman said from his office in Mexico City, "but it appears that won't happen. He doesn't seem to want to fight the man who knocked him out. If he can erase that loss, we will still recognize him as champion.

"Everybody wants to see that fight, and Lennox Lewis is willing, ready and available to fight him at any time."

For now, however, it appears that a Bowe-Lewis bout will not happen until 1994 at the earliest.

Bowe's first defense, if it comes at the Garden, would likely be against either Alex Garcia or Michael Dokes. Lewis vs. Tucker

Lewis, meanwhile, could take on Tony Tucker, although Sulaiman would not confirm that it would be a mandated fight.

Lewis is Britain's first heavyweight champion in this century.

Frank Maloney, Lewis's manager, attended the news conference and had reportedly organized a picket of nine people, some dressed in chicken suits and carrying placards, before Bowe arrived.

"Small people do small things," Bowe said.

Newman was also upset with the man-in-a-chicken-suit stunt, carried out at Heathrow Airport.
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Another side note article from another boxing columnist....

. Riddick Bowe vs. Lennox Lewis

This rivalry began way back in Seoul, South Korea during the 1988 Summer Olympics. Riddick Bowe was defeated by Lennox Lewis for the super heavyweight gold medal in those games. After they both men turned pro, each quickly rose up the ranks of the heavyweight division. Bowe defeated Evander Holyfield in 1992 to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. After Bowe’s win over Holyfield, Lewis called out Bowe to fight him for the title. Bowe and his manager, Rock Newman, brushed of the challenge.

Newman had plans to make his fighter the most money while taking the least risk. He was well aware that Lewis was an extreme threat to Bowe.

Even though Bowe was technically contracted to defend the title against Lewis, Newman opted to let Bowe get stripped of the WBC belt. The logic was that Bowe would still be considered by most to be the “real” champion because he actually won the undisputed title from Holyfield. “He beat the man who beat the man who beat the man” hence making Bowe the man. Newman further reasoned that Bowe would still have 2 out of the 3 major belts. He also rationalized that Lewis’s title would be “cheapened” by having the belt “given” to him.

It was then that Newman staged the famous “Bowe dropping the WBC belt in the garbage can press conference” Newman and Bowe then exclaimed “They didn’t strip us, we stripped THEM”!

Newman’s plan seemed to be working at first. Bowe’s face was everywhere from Arsenio Hall to Leno to Letterman. He even upstaged Santa Claus at the traditional Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade! Bowe was also endorsing everything. Big Daddy’s “Big Daddy” was proudly displayed and packaged in white brief Fruit of the Loom ads for the entire world to see. From November 92 to November 93, he even out-grossed Michael Jordan in endorsements.

In his two successful title defenses, he made a ton of money at very little risk fighting 2 has been opponents in Michael Dokes and Jesse Ferguson. He won those fights in great fashion and his reputation grew even larger. Everything seemed to be going according to plan. What Newman didn’t plan on was that Evander Holyfield was going to be a smarter and more determined fighter than ever in the rematch. The loss to Holyfield started a downhill turn in Bowe’s career, and Lewis career continued to go upwards.

To be frank, this fight was never made because it was a stylistic nightmare for Bowe, and he was a bigger star than Lewis at that point. Additionally, Lewis’s stock plummeted after his loss to Oliver McCall.

Comment

• Newman proves a master of the feint, ducking Bowe-Lewis title unification

KEN ROSENTHAL

May 24, 1993|By KEN ROSENTHAL

WASHINGTON -- Rock Newman leaned over the ropes at RFK Stadium and shouted into the night.

"Bring on the world!" he cried. "Bring on everyone! Bring on Mike Tyson! Bring 'em on!"

Newman, the manager of Riddick Bowe, is turning into a real beauty.

Bring on Tyson?

That would be a difficult match, considering Iron Mike is in jail.

Bring on everyone?

"Rock Newman never wants to fight Lennox Lewis," hissed Frank Maloney, Lewis' diminutive manager. "I really believe that."

Newman, of course, claims otherwise, pointing to a $12 million offer he made Lewis to fight Bowe Nov. 5. Apparently, he forgot Bowe had a commitment to an Evander Holyfield rematch Nov. '' 12.

Ah, what's a broken promise in boxing?

"If the money's right," Bowe said, "you and me can throw down."

True enough, but Newman had better watch it. Bowe's second title defense Saturday night was every bit as ridiculous as his first. Our congratulations to Jesse Ferguson for lasting nearly a minute longer than Michael Dokes.

Ferguson said he went into "shock," said he "choked," said he "froze." Seriously, what did anyone expect? Ferguson, 36, had lost eight of his 12 previous fights. He was best known as a professional sparring partner. So, upon climbing into the ring, he asked himself the logical question:

What am I doing here?

The result -- a Bowe knockout 17 seconds into the second round -- was utterly predictable. The good news is, Bowe probably won't go any further with his bum-of-the-month club. The bad news is, a Lewis fight is nowhere in sight.

It isn't all Newman's fault --Lewis underwent hand surgery after his 12-round decision over Tony Tucker, and will be sidelined two months. But Newman admitted Saturday night that he lied about the rib-cage injury Bowe suffered in training camp. Maloney claims he's deceitful, a charge that now seems reasonable.

The problem here is that Bowe has both the ability and personality to become an immensely popular champion, but already he's off-course. Boxing fans can forgive a champion for pursuing easy paydays. But eventually, credibility becomes an issue.

Many of Tyson's defenses also ended quickly, but that's because he was so good, not because his opponents were on the verge of retirement. Newman is taking a risk by playing his little mating dance with Maloney. He's alienating the public.

"HBO is not going to let him do another one of these," said Holyfield's estranged manager, Shelley Finkel, referring to Bowe's six-fight, $100 million contract with the cable network. "It's embarrassing."

Seth Abraham, the head of HBO Sports, expressed concern earlier in the week that a Bowe-Lewis fight was growing smaller in magnitude, not bigger. Rather than dispute that notion, Newman reinforces it, claiming Bowe-Lewis might not be as attractive as Bowe-Tommy Morrison.

Morrison faces George Foreman June 5, and a victory would make him the latest "Great White Hope," with an October fight against Lewis likely. Bowe's probable course is Holyfield in November, then Michael Moorer, then Lewis.

What if Foreman knocks out Morrison and retires? What if Bowe again struggles to beat Holyfield? And what if Lewis isn't the fighter everyone thinks, a question raised by his unimpressive victory over Tucker?

Then, you're talking about a mess.

That's why Abraham looked so distressed after Saturday night's debacle. Listing the other top 10 contenders, he couldn't name a worthy opponent for Bowe. Asked about Bowe-Lewis, he said, "It's not going to happen any time soon, I'm afraid."

AGAIN....

But Newman admitted Saturday night that he lied about the rib-cage injury Bowe suffered in training camp. Maloney claims he's deceitful, a charge that now seems reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            Newman proves a master of the feint, ducking Bowe-Lewis title unification

KEN ROSENTHAL

May 24, 1993|By KEN ROSENTHAL

WASHINGTON -- Rock Newman leaned over the ropes at RFK Stadium and shouted into the night.

"Bring on the world!" he cried. "Bring on everyone! Bring on Mike Tyson! Bring 'em on!"

Newman, the manager of Riddick Bowe, is turning into a real beauty.

Bring on Tyson?

Bring on everyone?

"Rock Newman never wants to fight Lennox Lewis," hissed Frank Maloney, Lewis' diminutive manager. "I really believe that."

Newman, of course, claims otherwise, pointing to a $12 million offer he made Lewis to fight Bowe Nov. 5. Apparently, he forgot Bowe had a commitment to an Evander Holyfield rematch Nov. '' 12.

Ah, what's a broken promise in boxing?

"If the money's right," Bowe said, "you and me can throw down."

True enough, but Newman had better watch it. Bowe's second title defense Saturday night was every bit as ridiculous as his first. Our congratulations to Jesse Ferguson for lasting nearly a minute longer than Michael Dokes.

Ferguson said he went into "shock," said he "choked," said he "froze." Seriously, what did anyone expect? Ferguson, 36, had lost eight of his 12 previous fights. He was best known as a professional sparring partner. So, upon climbing into the ring, he asked himself the logical question:

What am I doing here?

The result -- a Bowe knockout 17 seconds into the second round -- was utterly predictable. The good news is, Bowe probably won't go any further with his bum-of-the-month club. The bad news is, a Lewis fight is nowhere in sight.

It isn't all Newman's fault --Lewis underwent hand surgery after his 12-round decision over Tony Tucker, and will be sidelined two months. But Newman admitted Saturday night that he lied about the rib-cage injury Bowe suffered in training camp. Maloney claims he's deceitful, a charge that now seems reasonable.

The problem here is that Bowe has both the ability and personality to become an immensely popular champion, but already he's off-course. Boxing fans can forgive a champion for pursuing easy paydays. But eventually, credibility becomes an issue.

Many of Tyson's defenses also ended quickly, but that's because he was so good, not because his opponents were on the verge of retirement. Newman is taking a risk by playing his little mating dance with Maloney. He's alienating the public.

"HBO is not going to let him do another one of these," said Holyfield's estranged manager, Shelley Finkel, referring to Bowe's six-fight, $100 million contract with the cable network. "It's embarrassing."

Seth Abraham, the head of HBO Sports, expressed concern earlier in the week that a Bowe-Lewis fight was growing smaller in magnitude, not bigger. Rather than dispute that notion, Newman reinforces it, claiming Bowe-Lewis might not be as attractive as Bowe-Tommy Morrison.

Morrison faces George Foreman June 5, and a victory would make him the latest "Great White Hope," with an October fight against Lewis likely. Bowe's probable course is Holyfield in November, then Michael Moorer, then Lewis.

What if Foreman knocks out Morrison and retires? What if Bowe again struggles to beat Holyfield? And what if Lewis isn't the fighter everyone thinks, a question raised by his unimpressive victory over Tucker?

Then, you're talking about a mess.

That's why Abraham looked so distressed after Saturday night's debacle. Listing the other top 10 contenders, he couldn't name a worthy opponent for Bowe. Asked about Bowe-Lewis, he said, "It's not going to happen any time soon, I'm afraid."

AGAIN....

But Newman admitted Saturday night that he lied about the rib-cage injury Bowe suffered in training camp. Maloney claims he's deceitful, a charge that now seems reasonable.
            Bring on Tyson ????

Frank "Kelly" Moloney ?????

Comment

Bring on Tyson ????

Frank "Kelly" Moloney ?????

Bring on everyone?

@ 5 :40

My guess is you are going to make this a TYSON thread now? Even though Newman started to make Bowe look like an idiot already with these remarks

Rock NEWMAN????

“I can’t speak for what Riddick thought but we definitely wanted the (Bowe-Lewis) fight,” she said. “Everybody knew that. We tried and tried and tried to make it happen. Lennox wanted to unify all the titles but Rock just didn’t want to do it, and Bowe literally threw the (WBC) belt in the garbage. I’m sure that was Rock’s idea.

“Rock was impossible. The way we get frustrated now with Richard Schaefer and Al Haymon, that was Rock back then. You couldn’t deal with him

“If I could change anything, the No. 1 thing is that I wouldn’t have Rock Newman as my manager,” R. Bowe

Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-15-2015, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

Bring on everyone?

@ 5 :40

My guess is you are going to make this a TYSON thread now? Even though Newman started to make Bowe look like an idiot already with these remarks

Rock NEWMAN????

“I can’t speak for what Riddick thought but we definitely wanted the (Bowe-Lewis) fight,” she said. “Everybody knew that. We tried and tried and tried to make it happen. Lennox wanted to unify all the titles but Rock just didn’t want to do it, and Bowe literally threw the (WBC) belt in the garbage. I’m sure that was Rock’s idea.

“Rock was impossible. The way we get frustrated now with Richard Schaefer and Al Haymon, that was Rock back then. You couldn’t deal with him

“If I could change anything, the No. 1 thing is that I wouldn’t have Rock Newman as my manager,” R. Bowe

Once again your wrong by suggesting i am going to do this or that or the other. You are trying to pre judge my opinion.. Yet Bowe clearly said, "Bring on Tyson"... i can clearly recall every single contender in the world in 1992 including Evander Holyfield the Heavyweight Champion. looking for a fight with Mike Tyson when he was to be released from prison. That also included Riddick Bowe.

Now i do not see what it is you are trying to prove to me ?...Will you answer the questions i put to you below?... or will you ignore them?

Was Bowe wrong to dump the WBC Belt?...
                Was Lewis wrong to dump the WBA Belt to avoid Ruiz?
                Was Lewis wrong to dump the IBF belt to avoid Byrd?

Are you saying Bowe was "Afraid of Lewis"? .. IMO that is incorrect
                Are you saying Lewis did NOT drag his feet?.. IMO that is incorrect
                Are you saying Bowe is telling lies?.... IMO that is incorrect

Should i believe Kelly Moloney or Rock Newman?... IMO Newman
                Should i believe Bowe or Lewis?... IMO Bowe

No matter what you say, you are not going to ever change my opinion on the career of Lennox Lewis. I followed his career very closely, from him turning pro to his retirement.
                Would Bowe have fought Tyson in 95?... IMO Yes
                Was Bowe telling lies in the video?.... IMO NO

Your piece above say's "Lewis wanted to unify all the titles".. But all the titles were unified. Bowe was the undisputed champion...

The WBC gave him 30 days to agree a fight with Lewis (laughable)
                Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 10-15-2015, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• The bottom line is: You believe Bowe was afraid of Lewis, so binned the belt. I believe Lewis wanted nothing to do with Bowe..

You are not going to change my opinion. i will hold my opinion to the day i die, taking it to my grave with me.

Would Kelly Moloney's evidence stand-up in a court of law today 2015?

Comment

Once again your wrong by suggesting i am going to do this or that or the other. You are trying to pre judge my opinion.. Yet Bowe clearly said, "Bring on Tyson"... i can clearly recall every single contender in the world in 1992 including Evander Holyfield the Heavyweight Champion. looking for a fight with Mike Tyson when he was to be released from prison. That also included Riddick Bowe.

Now i do not see what it is you are trying to prove to me ?...Will you answer the questions i put to you below?... or will you ignore them?

Was Bowe wrong to dump the WBC Belt?...
                    Was Lewis wrong to dump the WBA Belt to avoid Ruiz?
                    Was Lewis wrong to dump the IBF belt to avoid Byrd?

Are you saying Bowe was "Afraid of Lewis"? .. IMO that is incorrect
                    Are you saying Lewis did NOT drag his feet?.. IMO that is incorrect
                    Are you saying Bowe is telling lies?.... IMO that is incorrect

Should i believe Kelly Moloney or Rock Newman?... IMO Newman
                    Should i believe Bowe or Lewis?... IMO Bowe

No matter what you say, you are not going to ever change my opinion on the career of Lennox Lewis. I followed his career very closely, from him turning pro to his retirement.
                    Would Bowe have fought Tyson in 95?... IMO Yes
                    Was Bowe telling lies in the video?.... IMO NO

Your piece above say's "Lewis wanted to unify all the titles".. But all the titles were unified. Bowe was the undisputed champion...

The WBC gave him 30 days to agree a fight with Lewis (laughable)
                    Tyson didnt get back to top level shape until 96 ,so that doesnt make ANY sense suggesting Bowe fights Tyson . Bowe also NEVER called out Tyson ,if you read the above that was Newman ,which again has NOTHING to do with NOTHING here as does Ruiz or Byrd as this around 1993 here.Bowe is not really the issue ,which has been pointed out several times ,Bowe HIMSELF admits Newman was .The FACT Newman was calling out a guy in prison and not Lewis is a joke in itself ,not to mention Golota already cleaned his clock by that time.

Lewis agreed to the terms ,Newman regardless told Bowe to dump the belt ,Bowe also admits this which is why i posted his DIRECT quotes ! Really nothing more to say on this !

There is reason guys like Newman are not liked and dont last long as anything in sports ! Maloney would absolutely crush Newman and co. in court with just the articles i posted as they are not hearsay and are backed up by testimonial not what Bowe s opinion isor was when Newman was the puppet master ,Bowe would also be charged with obstruction of justice after he eventually gets caught lying for Newman . The court would just look at when Newman pitched the Lewis camp offers and see those were impractical negotiating time periods ! Lewis wins , Newman is charged with spitefully avoiding Lewis before and after 93 ....case closed !

P.S Boxing is not a give me an answer now sport , it takes months usually to work out final contracts ,the current HW championship fight with Klitchko vs Fury took over 2 months ,so the dragging feet thing is played out !
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                      Is all this foul language and namecalling really necessary to drive home a point?
                      Of course it is you damn **** ***** *** ****** *******.

Comment

Working...
                      X