Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Henry Armstrong robbed of the Middleweight title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Henry Armstrong robbed of the Middleweight title?

A win over Ceferino Garcia in March 1940 would of made Armstrong a 4-weight champion in an era of 8 weight classes. Most observers believe Armstrong was robbed.

I watched the fight and ended up scoring for Armstrong by two rounds. Some of the rounds having missing parts and are cut mid-round but it would appear Armstrong beat Garcia that night.

Although it is a 10-round fight it was listed for Ceferino's Middleweight title by California.

This type of inside fighting is almost non-existent in today's boxing.

I thought it looked like HA won but not a robbery based on what I saw
    Last edited by Tom Cruise; 08-01-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Imo yes he won. And yes he very well could have gotten the 4th belt out of 8 weight classes, precisely why I rank him #1 ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        I thought it looked like HA won but not a robbery based on what I saw
        The first four rounds were fairly close and I had to rewatch some later rounds because I can't hear the punches. Henry had decent defense late in the fight letting punches roll off his shoulders while moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
          Imo yes he won. And yes he very well could have gotten the 4th belt out of 8 weight classes, precisely why I rank him #1 ATG.
          It was the referee's last fight too, a clip from ESPN Classic says he left the ring immediately after the decision.

Comment

cosign. Not the first, nor the last time the judges decision ruined a momentous event. Homicide won ugly, but he won consistantly and could fight without a weight class! I know this last statement is an exxageration.
            Last edited by billeau2; 08-01-2015, 07:43 AM.

Comment

The judges topped off hammern Hank's tank at 147 without his knowledge. I think it was a weak middleweight era.

Comment

It was only 10 rounds and only recognized by California. Back then the two recognized titles were the National Boxing Association and New York State Athletic Commission title.

So even though it was against a recognized champ, it would sort of be like someone nowadays beating the WBC champ via an 8 round decision and not being recognized by the WBC as a title bout.

So I wouldn't say he was robbed of the world MW title, given these circumstance.

Champs fought a lot more non-title bouts back then.
                Last edited by Thread Stealer; 08-02-2015, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                  It was only 10 rounds and only recognized by California. Back then the two recognized titles were the National Boxing Association and New York State Athletic Commission title.

So even though it was against a recognized champ, it would sort of be like someone nowadays beating the WBC champ via an 8 round decision and not being recognized by the WBC as a title bout.

So I wouldn't say he was robbed of the world MW title, given these circumstance.

Champs fought a lot more non-title bouts back then.
                  This isn't entirely accurate. There was the NBA which was composed of all the US states, including California, but minus NY and Massachussetts. Then there was the IBU which was the precursor to the current EBU. Other bodies such as BBBoC were also important in recognizing the 'world' champs. Sometimes they were all in agreement and recognized the same champion and at other times they were not and the championship was split at least two ways. The Middleweight title was mostly split 3 ways for most of the 1930s (NBA, NYSAC, IBU).

At the time of this particular fight the championship was split two ways, Hostak with the NBA and Garcia with the NYSAC/California. That the California commission had broken from the rest of the NBA to recognize this fight as a world title fight means that if Armstrong had received the decision then he'd be recognized by California and would have just defeated the NYSAC champion, albeit only over 10 rounds. The lesson to be learned from all this is that the sport had the same problems then as it does now in deciding who is a world champion.
                  Last edited by Humean; 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

The only definitive counter to prime Armstrong's style is a devastating puncher with great timing who could hurt him. Even the smoothest of boxers will be smothered and trapped by his relentlessness.

How do people see prime Arguello vs Armstrong panning out? at 126?

I know Pryor overcame Arguello but that was well above AA's best weight. He was huge at 126 and a great puncher with impeccable timing.

Comment

Working...
                    X