No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson greatest ring IQ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Ray Robinson greatest ring IQ

When he took down Fullmer by getting him used to the right hook then immediate left hook then feinted the right hook and ko'd him. That's gym motivation for me.

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
    When he took down Fullmer by getting him used to the right hook then immediate left hook then feinted the right hook and ko'd him. That's gym motivation for me.
    You hardly see guys even feint anymore, and doing it properly to sell the feint even less.

Comment

I do not feel Robinson is even close to the highest ring IQ. I think ring generalship was his weak suit.

The Maxim fight illustrates this. Robinson does not pace himself correctly for the heat from the beginning. The ring generalship of Ray Leonard in Robinson's body that night would have won the light heavyweight championship easily. The ring generalship of Robinson in Robinson's body lost the fight.

That he did numerous things extremely well in the ring, no one is disputing. That he had the highest ring IQ seems fatuous to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        I do not feel Robinson is even close to the highest ring IQ. I think ring generalship was his weak suit.

The Maxim fight illustrates this. Robinson does not pace himself correctly for the heat from the beginning. The ring generalship of Ray Leonard in Robinson's body that night would have won the light heavyweight championship easily. The ring generalship of Robinson in Robinson's body lost the fight.

That he did numerous things extremely well in the ring, no one is disputing. That he had the highest ring IQ seems fatuous to me.
        Yeah he didnt watch enough youtube .

Comment

From what I saw in that fight, Maxim only lasted that long was because he wasn't doing much. Looked like a mummy, reminded me of a young Foreman.

Comment

From what I saw in that fight, Maxim only lasted that long was because he wasn't doing much. Looked like a mummy, reminded me of a young Foreman.
            Exactly. And because Maxim was not doing much, Robinson could have done less himself and still won. It was the reasonable thing and what a great general would have done. People make all kinds of excuses for him on ring generalship. He did not make the proper adjustment. Nothing is more obvious.

Maxim and Kearns had no guarantee Robinson was going to wear out before the final bell. They just got lucky in that sense, for you cannot win a fight in which you are doing nothing unless your opponent does pass out on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
              Yeah he didnt watch enough youtube .
              Share your better source, then. Do you use only one source? Maybe we should go by reputation alone and just drop it, eh? That is what I see as your better alternative until you name it for everyone. Oh, wait. Studying the fighters must be off-limits, in the first place. Maybe we should go by the words of some dead trainer. Is it absolutely forbidden under your high and mysterious standards to look at the fighters on YouTube, or just really bad scholarship?

Comment

The Maxim fight illustrates this.
                People make all kinds of excuses for him on ring generalship. He did not make the proper adjustment. Nothing is more obvious.
                198 professional contests and you have only 1 example...

Comment

Great ring IQ besides Srr

floyd
                  Benny leonard
                  Ray Leornard
                  Hopkins
                  Ali
                  Lennox
                  wlad
                  Greb
                  Archie
                  Ezzard
                  Pernel

Comment

Exactly. And because Maxim was not doing much, Robinson could have done less himself and still won. It was the reasonable thing and what a great general would have done. People make all kinds of excuses for him on ring generalship. He did not make the proper adjustment. Nothing is more obvious.

Maxim and Kearns had no guarantee Robinson was going to wear out before the final bell. They just got lucky in that sense, for you cannot win a fight in which you are doing nothing unless your opponent does pass out on his own.
                    If Srr had slowed down the pace then he would never have gotten on the inside of Maxim's jab and would have lost the fight on points.

Comment

Working...
                    X