Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would any version of Tyson ever beat Lennox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    Tysons prime was short because of Tyson himself ,nothing to do with age or prison,as prime is not age its when you are at your peak or performing at your best ,no ones prime has to be the same guys like Lewis and Wlad as well as Ali and Foreman developed into better fighters at an older age .Tyson never fought below 215 as a pro as im aware of and his defense certainly at a lower weight in the amateurs wasnt better his average weight was always more closer to 220,he slid down early for the most part in breaking up with Rooney ,combined with his fiascos outside the ring and add in prison then 4 years later in 95 against McNeely still surrounded by knuckle heads well its not even worth going into.

His style required much more athletism as an inside aggressor who was based on defense first ,to set up the counter shots under Cus ,with out the right trainer who he did need as he wasnt a tall run on the outside style which doesnt need to be exact science like Mikes ,was the end for him as a perfect fighter ,interesting enough Tyson had said he knew he would be going down hill after he immediately knocked Spinks out and stepped out of the ring in an interview when asked what was his peak in a interview i had read awhile back .

His best opponent at his peak was Holmes at 38 ,you could say Tucker who was a seasoned pro and undefeated in 86 but it was Tysons only 2nd year fighting ,i think Ruddock in his prime in 91 was the best guy he fought but Tyson was turned into a brawler then.

Holmes defeated prime Mercer and went the disance with Holyfield at age 43,against Tyson he was younger and in better shape despite the 2 year lay off that should give a good measuring stick how great Tyson under Rooney really was.
    I saw the first ruddock fight live and while very entertaining Mike 's defense and approach were different with little of his renowned head movement he did take some great shots and dished out many as well

Comment

Tysons prime was short because of Tyson himself ,nothing to do with age or prison,as prime is not age its when you are at your peak or performing at your best ,no ones prime has to be the same guys like Lewis and Wlad as well as Ali and Foreman developed into better fighters at an older age .Tyson never fought below 215 as a pro as im aware of and his defense certainly at a lower weight in the amateurs wasnt better his average weight was always more closer to 220,he slid down early for the most part in breaking up with Rooney ,combined with his fiascos outside the ring and add in prison then 4 years later in 95 against McNeely still surrounded by knuckle heads well its not even worth going into.

His style required much more athletism as an inside aggressor who was based on defense first ,to set up the counter shots under Cus ,with out the right trainer who he did need as he wasnt a tall run on the outside style which doesnt need to be exact science like Mikes ,was the end for him as a perfect fighter ,interesting enough Tyson had said he knew he would be going down hill after he immediately knocked Spinks out and stepped out of the ring in an interview when asked what was his peak in a interview i had read awhile back .

His best opponent at his peak was Holmes at 38 ,you could say Tucker who was a seasoned pro and undefeated in 86 but it was Tysons only 2nd year fighting ,i think Ruddock in his prime in 91 was the best guy he fought but Tyson was turned into a brawler then.

Holmes defeated prime Mercer and went the disance with Holyfield at age 43,against Tyson he was younger and in better shape despite the 2 year lay off that should give a good measuring stick how great Tyson under Rooney really was.
      I saw Tyson ruddock 1 live and Mike was not as elusive as I was used to but wow what a fight

Comment

Lewis got KOed by McCall and Rahman who are much lesser fighters than a prime Tyson, maybe he took them lightly, but it still shows that Lewis' chin wasn't the best and once he gets tagged by a guy like Tyson he's in big trouble. Also if Tyson would have fought Lewis before Lewis became famous Lewis would've probably gotten disqualified due to excessive clinching and holding behind the head while hitting.

We will never know for sure, but if I had to bed I'd bet on Tyson if they would've fought in the late 80s before Lewis got famous.
        Last edited by Ahmed_Ismail; 06-02-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

A quick comment on the differences between Floyd and Mikes parenting from Cus.
          There was a very real chance of loosing Tyson to the streets in hjis first 2 years. Cus kept him very busy in the gym and in the J.O. program. He traveled with Mike at first with Teddy and Bill at times too.
          The problem was when he would want to visit his mother and thats when the fine line comes in to play.
          I had step sons and wards of the state at times and its very difficult to deny a person to see their blood relatives even whren they know it could be a dangerous situation. You can't say no you can just prepare them to understand why their with you in the first place.
          we all lost the greater percentage back to the streets. I had a couple of kids who would have been incredible talents but the streets look easy and boxing is hard work and studing, we lost alot.

Mike sat a dinner table with the gym fighters and as a family member.
          He studied and worked hard and although it seems he failede alot the bottom line is he killed no one, he's alive and he accomplished the feats he set out to win. Not bad for a kid from Brownsville who was mugging people at age 11!
          Cus couldn't hang on long enough or who knows what could have happened.
          Ray

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            I saw Tyson ruddock 1 live and Mike was not as elusive as I was used to but wow what a fight
            The fight showed what an in shape Tysons chin could absorb as well,walked right thru one of the hardest punchers ever and didn't even blink.Tyson of 88 when the fight was supposed to take place would wend it within 4.Also showed how tough Ruddock was,both mentally prepared for that fight.

Comment

This is a good subject. No way of knowing who would win. If in their prime the fight could go either way.

Comment

Here's what people need to understand about Lewis: he was so good he would literally get bored sometimes and doze off mid round. He was daydreaming about warming ganja in Jamaica when he got caught by Rahman and McCall. They weren't huge megastars and he didn't take them seriously. Lennox's only weakness was his complacency,

Tyson though... No way a bull like Tyson gets overlooked or undetected. Lennox would be on his A game, and break him down just like he did in 2002.

Comment

The fight showed what an in shape Tysons chin could absorb as well,walked right thru one of the hardest punchers ever and didn't even blink.Tyson of 88 when the fight was supposed to take place would wend it within 4.Also showed how tough Ruddock was,both mentally prepared for that fight.
                  I believe Mike comment that ruddicks left was like a mules kick. Two extremely powerful men giving there all. This fight had a controversial ending and the brawl after the fight intimated by ruddicks corner was something else.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    His prime was also cut short because of a lack of character which came to the surface in the Douglas fight. He served 3 yrs
                    Tyson never trained for the Douglas fight and was going through a "Divorce" it is said Mike had that many women over in Japan, that it was like eating grapes..

3yrs in jail would end any professional sports star's career. Credit must go to Mike Tyson for still being great enough to beat match-fit contenders after his release from prison. Bruno, Golota, Botha & Savarese were all fairly decent fighters. Tyson became a a drug addict in the 1990s and was in a desperate state by 2002 being addicted to anti-depressants, alcohol, cocaine and cannabis. it is a miracle he has came through it all.

Mike Tyson is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world, on the History of Professional Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
                      Here's what people need to understand about Lewis: he was so good he would literally get bored sometimes and doze off mid round. He was daydreaming about warming ganja in Jamaica when he got caught by Rahman and McCall. They weren't huge megastars and he didn't take them seriously. Lennox's only weakness was his complacency,

Tyson though... No way a bull like Tyson gets overlooked or undetected. Lennox would be on his A game, and break him down just like he did in 2002.
                      Well i have read some garbage over the years on boxing forums, but this takes the cake.

Can you imagine Mike Tyson fans claiming: Mike let Buster Douglas win because he felt sorry for Buster who's mother had just died.

Mike was so good that he let Lennox knock him out, because he was bored and thinking about "Warming Ganja" and "Snorting some good Colombian Cocaine"... Any fighter who beat Mike was not a huge megastar and the paying public, did not really know them so Mike didn't take them seriously.

But Mike of 1986-89 would be on his A-Game and take someone like Lennox seriously. Mike would knock out Lennox quicker than McCall or Rahman most likely in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                      X