No announcement yet.

ATG Highest Ranking Glass Jaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATG Highest Ranking Glass Jaws

Some fighters have a little more glass in their jaws than others. There are even those whose jaws are primarily responsible for their going no farther.

It is no accident that almost every all time great had an iron jaw. I consider it the most important attribute of a boxer seeking all time greatness.

Kenny Norton is often placed as an all time top 15-20 heavyweight. With a better jaw he would certainly be higher on that list.

Tommy Hearns is probably the highest ranking ATG of any weight with a semi-glassy jaw. If he possessed Hagler's or Robinson's or even Leonard's jaw, what would Hearns be? Possibly a replacement for Robinson, is what.

But that is from dreamland. Tommy had his jaw, not Robinson's, and the Cobra's jaw is the final factor on where he is placed on ATG lists IMO.

Are there many other great fighters whose jaws kept them from a more lofty perch on our lists?

First name that pops into my head...Terry Norris.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      First name that pops into my head...Terry Norris.
      his ability to take a punch held him back from atg status but his other skills put him in the hof

Comment

Lennox and Wlad come to mind when you talk about a questionable jaw but great career. Because of their sheer size plus hard work mastering an effective way to protect their chins through suttle dark arts (clinch/leaning) or keeping the opponent out of arms reach with the jab.

Tommy Hearns, Floyd Sr, Amir Khan, Chico. Fury is also perceived to have a glass chin but we'll see. Finally more recently Rigos knockdowns and Framptons rise has seen some people on here and the media question him.

If everyone I named had Granite chins on par with Froch then they'd be or will be some of the greatest things since sliced bread.
        Last edited by REMOVE SHARK 55; 05-15-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Floyd Patterson

Comment

Roy jones....Hi jaw bifurcated his career. To a degree Judah. He couldnt take a punch, though he didn't get Koed per se.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              Roy jones....Hi jaw bifurcated his career. To a degree Judah. He couldnt take a punch, though he didn't get Koed per se.
              My exact thoughts. Marques' jaw mad weak but he recovers like a boss. Roy Jones got his jaw from humpty dumpty, can't put it together again.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                That's a good shout his lack of chin and mental strength has made him more a great gatekeeper than legendary champion.

Comment

I wonder whre Donald Curry sits.

Comment

Michael Moorer

Earnie Shavers

Bob Satterfield

Comment

Working...
                    X