No announcement yet.

Prime Holyfield Top 3 All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Liston had a long reach but all his other dimensions were wrong, he was too short and too stout, Lewis would stay behind his jab, hold up close, throw his right hand and probably hurt Liston multiple times (
    Liston too never faced anyone with the power and size of Lewis).
    If you believe that Liston has a puncher's chance, then yes, I'd agree with you.
    Cleveland Williams was equal if not greater in punching power than Lewis.. Williams knocked out more than 50 men. He hit one guy so hard he broke the fighters back, and the guy had to go around on crutches for the rest of his life. Liston vs Williams (2) is one of the best slugfests between heavyweights ever. Williams bombs bounce off Liston, who looks like he is made from concrete. Lewis would be around an inch taller than Cleveland Williams who was an incredible physical specimen... Liston would bomb-out Lewis very early.

Comment

#1 is Joe Louis. I don't know about the rest anymore. Top 10's imo are played out and if you try to rank people everyone has their own argument.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        If Holyfield had retired after Tyson II he would be solid top three on a majority of lists, methinks. There was no way to go out higher than that.
        If history were history, then who knows? But it is not. It is our greatest fiction, the ongoing effort of those in the present to interpret what the hell just happened, and they seldom agree. History is from fact and perception, like two numbers you multiply together and the product is history, is a good model of it. Anytime either factor is zero, you end up with zero. The two have to operate together and neither be zero, to have what passes for history. In this way the present tires itself out for bed each night.

Every generation reinterprets history, which means history keeps changing, demanding new fictions. Let something become semi-settled and before long someone will dig up a vase or find an inscription that boots out yesterday's fiction with the garbage. Revision, revisions, revisions.

Not that something did not actually happen. Not that we are anything but subscribers to our personal version of collective history. But eyewitness testimony is recognized to be notoriously unreliable in courts of law. Subsets of history like boxing history display the same patterns and disparities as the larger scale. Zoom in further to individual boxers and it sounds the same though you know the subject is different. History is fractal in that sense, the same confusion exists on every scale about what it was and should become.
        The revenge win over Moorer, straight after Tyson 2 was pretty sweet and would have been a good conclusion for completists.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Cleveland Williams was equal if not greater in punching power than Lewis.. Williams knocked out more than 50 men. He hit one guy so hard he broke the fighters back, and the guy had to go around on crutches for the rest of his life. Liston vs Williams (2) is one of the best slugfests between heavyweights ever. Williams bombs bounce off Liston, who looks like he is made from concrete. Lewis would be around an inch taller than Cleveland Williams who was an incredible physical specimen... Liston would bomb-out Lewis very early.
          Williams punched harder than Lewis. Foreman who sparred with him said every punch shook you to your foundations.

IMO Lewis is the best giant heavyweight ever (6'5"& over), but I still think 6'3" is an ideal height for heavyweights and I do not consider him one of the best ever. A giant is yet to make the top 5. I do not see either Klit as a top 10.

Comment

Williams punched harder than Lewis. Foreman who sparred with him said every punch shook you to your foundations.

IMO Lewis is the best giant heavyweight ever (6'5"& over), but I still think 6'3" is an ideal height for heavyweights and I do not consider him one of the best ever. A giant is yet to make the top 5. I do not see either Klit as a top 10.
            "Lennox Lewis is the greatest Hw champion of all times" G.Foreman....you are talking nonsense young foreman did not have a great chin,he never remotely fought a power puncher like Lewis,other than Morrison who didn't go after foreman he out boxed him,and that's rock solid chinned 250/260 foreman not 215 pound foreman who at that weight then sparred Williams.
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-25-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Williams was a very strong guy who could punch....no doubt. I agree with you on the "giants." Lewis is the best of the giants lot and a formidable champ I put him to beat Vlad as well as Vitalie.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                "Lennox Lewis is the greatest Hw champion of all times" G.Foreman....you are talking nonsense young foreman did not have a great chin,he never remotely fought a power puncher like Lewis,other than Morrison who didn't go after foreman he out boxed him,and that's rock solid chinned 250/260 foreman not 215 pound foreman who at that weight then sparred Williams.
                Lewis showed 2 sides though. He showed great whiskers against Vitalie but he showed vulnerbility against Rahman and Mccall. So one cannot say Foreman's chin was less than lewis' chin.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Lewis showed 2 sides though. He showed great whiskers against Vitalie but he showed vulnerbility against Rahman and Mccall. So one cannot say Foreman's chin was less than lewis' chin.
                  Im not arguing chins im arguing punching power.Foreman definatly had the better chin,in the 90's.He had a better chin then anyone then.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    Im not arguing chins im arguing punch.
                    You are arguing punchy.

Comment

You are arguing punchy.

Comment

Working...
                      X