No announcement yet.

Boxing History Debate Contest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing History Debate Contest

This is a thread to gauge the level of interest if a Boxing History Debate Contest was run.

The contest would be in the form of a knockout tournament. Two members debate with one another a set question before a winner is voted for.

The manner of debating would allow each an opening statement before having the chance to ask up to three questions querying their opponent's statement which must be answered.

The thread would then be open for any board member to ask one question each of either participant.

After answering the questions both members then give their closing statements to end the debate.

Voting for the winner will be done publicly by those who express interest in being judges.

--

A quick example would be a set question;

"Who was more to blame for the never to transpire contest between Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis in 1992?"

One member will be selected to go first, giving them the option of which side to argue, Bowe or Lewis and lay out their argument. The other member then gives their opening opposing statement.

It would then continue as explained above.

--

Would need at least eight members to participant and at least three to judge to try this.

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
    This is a thread to gauge the level of interest if a Boxing History Debate Contest was run.

The contest would be in the form of a knockout tournament. Two members debate with one another a set question before a winner is voted for.

The manner of debating would allow each an opening statement before having the chance to ask up to three questions querying their opponent's statement which must be answered.

The thread would then be open for any board member to ask one question each of either participant.

After answering the questions both members then give their closing statements to end the debate.

Voting for the winner will be done publicly by those who express interest in being judges.

--

A quick example would be a set question;

"Who was more to blame for the never to transpire contest between Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis in 1992?"

One member will be selected to go first, giving them the option of which side to argue, Bowe or Lewis and lay out their argument. The other member then gives their opening opposing statement.

It would then continue as explained above.

--

Would need at least eight members to participant and at least three to judge to try this.
    Sounds great, But it makes little odds how well someone answers the questions. If others voting hold a grudge towards someone, then they will vote against that person even if they know them to be correct in what they say.... it happens each day here on the forum. There would be pro-Lewis bias and Anti-Lewis bias..
    Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 04-18-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Sounds great, But it makes little odds how well someone answers the questions. If others voting hold a grudge towards someone, then they will vote against that person even if they know them to be correct in what they say.... it happens each day here on the forum. There would be pro-Lewis bias and Anti-Lewis bias..
      Hopefully that would not be the case and those offering to judge would be impartial and vote accordingly with regards to the ability of those debating.

Comment

Sonny will need a change of venue.

Comment

Sounds good i will take part in a debate or be a judge...but what on the off chance the 2 people or whatever act have same view??

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
            Sounds good i will take part in a debate or be a judge...
            I'll put you down for both thanks. Obviously when in a debate lose ability to vote.

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
            but what on the off chance the 2 people or whatever act have same view??
            In the case of a question such as the example, whoever is selected to go first has the pick of which side to take.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Sonny will need a change of venue.
              i have already ruled myself out, due to the headless chickens who infest this site like yourself. Who know very little about boxing or debating for that matter.

Comment

I would nominate Joeandthebums and Bundana as judges. Both impartial and very knowledeable.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                  I'll put you down for both thanks. Obviously when in a debate lose ability to vote.

In the case of a question such as the example, whoever is selected to go first has the pick of which side to take.
                  No problem, pm me when/if it gets up and running

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    i have already ruled myself out, due to the headless chickens who infest this site like yourself. Who know very little about boxing or debating for that matter.
                    I understand that b.s has become a place were people just talk out their hole and not know a thing about boxing and have never fought a round in their life,but at the same time,at least more casual are getting involved,even if ALOT of them are ******ed..i also think it has alot to do whit may and pac
                    Last edited by stephenmc; 04-18-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X