Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logic would tell me to listen to the smart legendary fighters that faced some of the best punchers in history and had no reason to lie about someone they beat. Your logic is to count rounds? And that's more logical on assessing how hard some one hits. Tyson lands triple the amount of punches that shavers landed in a round. Not logical

Edit sorry reply to j..iopsi
    Last edited by likeamulekick; 04-12-2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
      Logic would tell me to listen to the smart legendary fighters that faced some of the best punchers in history and had no reason to lie about someone they beat. Your logic is to count rounds? And that's more logical on assessing how hard some one hits. Tyson lands triple the amount of punches that shavers landed in a round. Not logical

Edit sorry reply to j..iopsi
      There's no logic in listening the legends, it's just that, listening legends like I said, they can say what ever they want, and the sample isn't very accurate.

Ali said Shavers hit hardest, so what he didn't fight Tyson so what does that tell? Holmes said? Shavers hit hardest, yet Shavers couldn't KO Holmes in two fights, when Tyson was only one to KO him, and in style, which could be translated on downplaying Tyson's performance and highlighting own.

That's why legends usually are full of bull**** because they usually just try to keep the legend alive.
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        Some years ago, I read an article in 'Boxing Monthly' about Earnie's later years when he worked as some kind of bouncer at an English pub.

According to the article, he was a well-liked guy at the place and never used violence against any customer who had had too much to drink. Instead, he chose trying to talk some sense into them.
        He had become a very religious man by that point; very unwise letting that right hand loose on any drunk even when well retired!!! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
          Some years ago, I read an article in 'Boxing Monthly' about Earnie's later years when he worked as some kind of bouncer at an English pub.

According to the article, he was a well-liked guy at the place and never used violence against any customer who had had too much to drink. Instead, he chose trying to talk some sense into them.

it's easy to talk sense into drunk dudes when you punch harder than any man alive

Comment

i don't think it's fair to call one man the hardest puncher all of all time. unless you're measuring objectively, like with a machine, it's a subjective assessment.

power is about perspective.

now, as others have said, the testimony of ali, that shavers was the hardest puncher he fought [he fought foreman and shavers,] and holmes saying the same [who fought shavers and tyson,] provides what we call "intersubjetivity."

there's an agreement.
            when we seee shavers, that subjectivity [that he's the hardest puncher ever,] can seem agreeable to us.

it's like the peer review process for punchers.

i will say this; some guys are going to punch harder than others at specific points in their careers, in certain rounds ,from certain heights and distances, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              i don't think it's fair to call one man the hardest puncher all of all time. unless you're measuring objectively, like with a machine, it's a subjective assessment.

now, as others have said, the testimony of ali, that shavers was the hardest puncher he fought [he fought foreman and shavers,] and holmes saying the same [who fought shavers and tyson,] provides what we call "intersubjetivity."

there's an agreement.
              when we seee shavers, that subjectivity [that he's the hardest puncher ever,] can seem agreeable to us.

i will say this; some guys are going to punch harder than others at specific points in their careers, in certain rounds ,from certain heights and distances, etc.
              Good post......

Comment

it's easy to talk sense into drunk dudes when you punch harder than any man alive
                lol he may as well have a gun pointed at their head because he can easily kill them with a single punch

Comment

there's an agreement.

Hurting Ali at that point when Shavers fought him wouldn't be as difficult as when Frazier fought him ,and Holmes like many guys who beat him say he hit the hardest so i think it does take away some validity to it.Everything else you said was correct everyone thinks a punch is going to land the same it doesnt work like that ,looking at video soley idont see Shavers punches being stronger than for instance Tysons or others who had one punch k.o abilities when landing their A shot.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-12-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    Hurting Ali at that point when Shavers fought him wouldn't be as difficult as when Frazier fought him ,and Holmes like many guys who beat him say he hit the hardest so i think it does take away some validity to it.Everything else you said was correct everyone thinks a punch is going to land the same it doesnt work like that ,looking at video soley idont see Shavers punches being stronger than for instance Tysons or others who had one punch k.o abilities when landing their A shot.
                    Tyson maybe didn't have as much raw power as Shavers, but he had much better technique, accuracy and speed to compliment his own bonecrushing power. So he was probably more devastating overall cause he was a better finisher than Shavers was.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
                      Tyson maybe didn't have as much raw power as Shavers, but he had much better technique, accuracy and speed to compliment his own bonecrushing power. So he was probably more devastating overall cause he was a better finisher than Shavers was.
                      You cannot take away speed and technique that is what constitutes making a punch stronger ...its like telling Usain Bolt you cannot jump of the start ,you have to wait a full second because you have an unfair advantage ...weve been over this ..lol

Comment

Working...
                      X