Collapse
No announcement yet.

hardest heavyweight puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when was brunos and tysons punching power measured?. What different methods were used to measure their power . What were the results?.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuzieQ49
      going by hecklers logic,

then marciano would easily defeat a "supposdely prime" 25-29 year old walcott since walcott couldnt even beat guys like abe simon or billy ketchell during those years.

marciano KO 1 25-29 year old walcott

so it seems the 37 year old "past his prime" walcott was better than the 25-29 year old "prime" walcott

or do u disagree?

let me ask u, was 34 year old jersey joe in his prime when he fought joe louis?

You are Mistinterpreting BIG TIME what i said... Jersey Joe walcott was not in his PHYSICAL prime when he fought Rocky Marciano and this isn't even debateable.

No fighter is in there PHYSICAL prime at the age of 37... what happens is some fighters become more skilled, smarter and better fighters as they age, gain experience and this offsets the ageing process which results in dulled reflexes, loss of speed ETC. This applies to Jersey Joe and Lennox Lewis.

Comment

• Joe Louis
        Rocky Marciano
        Joe Frazier
        George Foreman
        Max Baer
        Jack Dempsey
        David Tua
        Ernie Shavers
        Frank Bruno
        Tommy Morrison
        Samuel Peter
        Mike Tyson

Note: no particular order, just some of the hardest hw's i have seen.

Comment

• I had this discussion with Ernie Shavers in the 80's and the conversation started with me saying(I was about 15 then) that I thought Mike Tyson was the biggest hitter of all time!

He replied by explaining to me the difference between a Mike Tyson type shot and a Earnie Shavers type shot.

Mike Tyson's knockout power came from a combination of speed and force, the brain is unable to register the shot coming due to the speed and angles of the punch. This causes the brain to go into temporary shock and to protect itself it closes down for while.
          An Earnie Shavers type shot is just about raw power, 9/10 the brain is prepared for the shot to land but it crashes in with such force that the Cuneus is slightly compressed or shook within the head causing the brain again to temporarily shut down!

At the time Shavers had himself as the hardest puncher, he also mentioned Foreman, Bruno, Liston and Frazier but added that Tyson although obviously a hard hitter did not hit as hard as some, Tyson's knockouts in his opinion were as much due to his speed as his power!

For me I would say Bruno had the most raw power, when he landed his bombs they almost put his opponents through the canvas, unlike a well timed hard shot which 'spins the chin' a Bruno shot had a sledgehammer or baseball bat effect!

Comment

• "For me I would say Bruno had the most raw power, when he landed his bombs they almost put his opponents through the canvas, unlike a well timed hard shot which 'spins the chin' a Bruno shot had a sledgehammer or baseball bat effect!"

i would go on record to agree with this, not sure if many people have seen frank bruno fight or even seen his win/ko ratio
            that guy could freaking hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MickyHatton
              I had this discussion with Ernie Shavers in the 80's and the conversation started with me saying(I was about 15 then) that I thought Mike Tyson was the biggest hitter of all time!

He replied by explaining to me the difference between a Mike Tyson type shot and a Earnie Shavers type shot.

Mike Tyson's knockout power came from a combination of speed and force, the brain is unable to register the shot coming due to the speed and angles of the punch. This causes the brain to go into temporary shock and to protect itself it closes down for while.
              An Earnie Shavers type shot is just about raw power, 9/10 the brain is prepared for the shot to land but it crashes in with such force that the Cuneus is slightly compressed or shook within the head causing the brain again to temporarily shut down!

At the time Shavers had himself as the hardest puncher, he also mentioned Foreman, Bruno, Liston and Frazier but added that Tyson although obviously a hard hitter did not hit as hard as some, Tyson's knockouts in his opinion were as much due to his speed as his power!

For me I would say Bruno had the most raw power, when he landed his bombs they almost put his opponents through the canvas, unlike a well timed hard shot which 'spins the chin' a Bruno shot had a sledgehammer or baseball bat effect!
              Shavers is talking through his ass . The way he talks you would swear he was a ****in doctor.

Comment

• i'm going with,

Foreman
                Shavers
                Tyson
                Brewster (some may wonder way, but Brewster KO's people
                without even landing clean shots)
                Peter
                Rocky (P4P)

Comment

• Originally posted by catskills23
                  Shavers is talking through his ass . The way he talks you would swear he was a ****in doctor.
                  Perhaps,

But 20 years on from then I can see his point, the real big men mentioned here hit with their body weight mostly at full extension and practically smashed their opponents to the ground.
                  Tyson was mostly in range as was the likes of Frazier and Marciano and they landed ferocious shots but you can see a difference in the impact of the shot(although they were better fighters)
                  This does not detract from those fighters as their style was probably more effective but I would say the bigger fighters with the obvious physical attributes hit harder than the stockier close in fighters.

Larry Holmes backs this up
                  http://www.answers.com/topic/earnie-shavers

Also Tyson isn't in the Ring ****zine Top 15 P4P Punchers of all time http://www.answers.com/topic/ring-**...rs-of-all-time

However he was still a huge hitter!

Comment

• marcianois the most overrated fighter that ever lived

Comment

• marcianois the most overrated fighter that ever lived
                      Nah, jack Johnson is IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X