Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why todays era is better than past eras. Discussion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - -Can't fix scoring til ditching the corrupt 10 point must and do rd by rd point scoring on a big scoreboard.

Fighters and fans deserve better than the current committee cluster fest huddle.

5 x stupid is 67% stupider than 3 x stupid.

Simples enough for lowbrow fans and goons making a farce of boxing such that it can no longer attract younger fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      That's simply not true, though.

Georges Carpentier, Battling Siki, Mike McTigue, Luis Firpo, Pancho Villa, Panama Al Brown, Kid Chocolate...none were American.

The best in the world came to fight in the US back then. Just like they do today.
      Yes, of course there were non-Americans, who went to the US to get a shot at the big time - but certainly not to the extent it happens today.

In The Ring's first annual ratings (1924) they list a total of 90 fighters in 9 different divisions. Of these 76 were based in the US - only 14 were "outsiders".

In the 1920s there were 152 world title fights - with all but 17 taking place in the US.

The busiest division during this decade (world title wise) was middleweight, with 24 title contests. One took place in London (Walker vs Mulligan), and 23 in the US. All 23 were all-American affairs.

So yes, it is true, that the center of boxing back then was the US - where Americans mainly fought other Americans. Are you really gonna argue, that boxing was as international back then, as it is today?
      Last edited by Bundana; 12-20-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bundana View Post
        Yes, of course there were non-Americans, who went to the US to get a shot at the big time - but certainly not to the extent it happens today.

In The Ring's first annual ratings (1924) they list a total of 90 fighters in 9 different divisions. Of these 86 were based in the US - only 14 were "outsiders".

In the 1920s there were 152 world title fights - with all but 17 taking place in the US.

The busiest division during this decade (world title wise) was middleweight, with 24 title contests. One took place in London (Walker vs Mulligan), and 23 in the US. All 23 were all-American affairs.

So yes, it is true, that the center of boxing back then was the US - where Americans mainly fought other Americans. Are you really gonna argue, that boxing was as international back then, as it is today?
        All-American affairs would only be a problem if the rest of the world was being excluded.

Just had a look at the 1925 Ring annual ratings and two of the top 10 middleweights were from the UK...so obviously exclusion wasn't a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          All-American affairs would only be a problem if the rest of the world was being excluded.

Just had a look at the 1925 Ring annual ratings and two of the top 10 middleweights were from the UK...so obviously exclusion wasn't a problem.
          No one is talking about exclusion!

But I'll ask you again... do you not agree, that boxing back then wasn't as international as today?

Comment

No one is talking about exclusion!

But I'll ask you again... do you not agree, that boxing back then wasn't as international as today?
            Boxing is more international today but I certainly don't see a lack of international participation back then either.

If you were good enough to shine here then you would, regardless of where you were from. That hasn't changed.

American love for, and participation in, the sport obviously has dropped however.

Comment

You're right, it's an interesting thread - and, strangely, one that has not been completely ruined by trolls and name-calling!

!
              Yes. That may be due to the fact that I, the thread starter, always have my ignore list updated which means that the trolls are unable to post here.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                Yes. That may be due to the fact that I, the thread starter, always have my ignore list updated which means that the trolls are unable to post here.
                - -Aces!!!

Queensberry era kicked off in America with plenty of international presence and American overseas crossover that include our storied 1900s black hvys.

The earliest were Irish immigrants with a sprinkle of English, Mexican, and Filipino.

Dempsey and Tex Rickard made a fortune on Firpo and Carpentier.

2nd Fight of the Century featured a German to go against Joe Louis in their rematch and the last FOC in our new 3rd millennium that we have thus far made a train wreck of featured a legendary Filipino.

I'd guess 60-70% of modern boxrec or Ring ratings are foreign born, and long may the best always rise to the top regardless of birth circumstances...Amen...

Comment

Yes, boxing was very different back in the 1920s. Everything of importance took place in the US... where Americans were fighting other Americans, with little input from the outside world.

I agree, there are too many weight classes - especially at the lower end. But I'm not sure, I'd like the pros to mirror the amateurs, as far as weight is concerned. For historical reasons, I prefer (for example) welterweight to be 147 - not the 69 kilos (152) they have in the amateurs.

15 rounds for world title fights - yes, I'm all for that (what real fight fan wouldn't be?).

I'm sick of these return clauses, where two boxers can monopolize a championship - keeping deserving challengers on the sideline for years.

If Fury and Jushua get down to business in the new year, it will likely be a 2-fight deal - with no one else getting a shot until well into 2022. Shouldn't be allowed, imo.

5 judges instead of 3? Maybe not a bad idea!
                  Thanks. Boxing is the best sport, when it's done right.
                  The trouble is it's seldom done right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
                    Thanks. Boxing is the best sport, when it's done right.
                    The trouble is it's seldom done right.
                    Anyone who doubts that watch this... you will fall in love with boxing again.

Comment

• This era got plagued by social media. So many fighters posting their "training" on their instagrams in order to try and show off and what not. I miss guys like Marvin Hagler who would stay away from the media and just keep to themselves. This era is all about social media

Comment

Working...
                      X