Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thrilla in Manilla - That should never happen again.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh its the generations to be honest no one around me knows Frazier until I tell them about him, but everyone knows Ali, I remember going to this village in the middle eastern and was checking youtube I think it was Gatti vs Ward highlight and this guy walked up on me and actually started talking to me about the Ali Foreman fight(Talk about being famous)
    I was stunned yet smiled, Ali, he was the man

Comment

Originally posted by Genryu View Post
      Meh its the generations to be honest no one around me knows Frazier until I tell them about him, but everyone knows Ali, I remember going to this village in the middle eastern and was checking youtube I think it was Gatti vs Ward highlight and this guy walked up on me and actually started talking to me about the Ali Foreman fight(Talk about being famous)
      I was stunned yet smiled, Ali, he was the man
      It's hard to believe after all these years but Muhammed Ali is STILL the most famous man on the planet. You could go to Borneo or Outer-Mongolia and people will know EXACTLY who Muhammed Ali is, what he looks like, and what he did.

Poet

Comment

The fight stopped in the 14th round, had it gone on to a 15th round one of the fighters would have died.

Not words from me but words from Joe Fraziers trainer.

Chilling.

Comment

Originally posted by leppard365 View Post
          The fight stopped in the 14th round, had it gone on to a 15th round one of the fighters would have died.

Chilling.
          That's why they pay wise men like Eddie Futch to decide when enough is enough.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by leppard365 View Post

Chilling.
            I remember Gil Clancy,the trainer, on ESPN saying that, if it was him in Frazier's corner, he would have allowed him to go out for the fifteenth round.

That's the only professional I know-apart from Frazier of course-who disagreed with Futch's decision.

BTW the 1971 FOTC was the best fight of the trilogy, in my opinion
            Last edited by Arka; 11-13-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

What if he made a comeback? Then what. The ref did right to leave it up to Eddie Futch. It will never be a safe sport, wtf they are punching each other. 15 down to 12, make it 10 and there will still be people getting hurt. ACCEPT it as it is before we end up with 3 two minute rounds! Anyway, the stats prove that footballers are more likely to get pugilistica dementia in their old age than boxers. Are they gonna ban headers in training and/or games? Stevie Gerrard would never have had this glorious moment:

I always suspected that dizzy feeling when flicking it on was more dangerous than shots that can be rolled with, but I still do it even if it affects my IQ. Doesn't matter now cos I've finished uni and got my peice of paper! I know about the risks to my lower limbs too, and have suffered career threatening injuries but still play and still box. Everyone knows that sport is not safe but we still go ahead with it. All this health and safety **** is pissing me off. Nowadays the whole world expects everything to be safe and if all these pc bums had their way, we'd all be wrapped in cotton wool! Bring back 8oz Reyes to world title fights too.
              Last edited by JulioCesaChavez; 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arka View Post
                I remember Gil Clancy,the trainer, on ESPN saying that, if it was him in Frazier's corner, he would have allowed him to go out for the fifteenth round.

That's the only professional I know-apart from Frazier of course-who disagreed with Futch's decision.

BTW the 1971 FOTC was the best fight of the trilogy, in my opinion
                I lean towards agreeing with you on 1971 fight being the best of the 3 but it's a tough pick since Manila was such a terrific fight.

Honestly, I think less of Clancy as a trainer if he indeed said that. He has rocks in head and is abrogating a trainer's primary obligation which is to see to the safety of his fighter.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
                  What if he made a comeback? Then what. The ref did right to leave it up to Eddie Futch. It will never be a safe sport, wtf they are punching each other. 15 down to 12, make it 10 and there will still be people getting hurt. ACCEPT it as it is before we end up with 3 two minute rounds! Anyway, the stats prove that footballers are more likely to get pugilistica dementia in their old age than boxers. Are they gonna ban headers in training and/or games? Stevie Gerrard would never have had this glorious moment:

I always suspected that dizzy feeling when flicking it on was more dangerous than shots that can be rolled with, but I still do it even if it affects my IQ. Doesn't matter now cos I've finished uni and got my peice of paper! I know about the risks to my lower limbs too, and have suffered career threatening injuries but still play and still box. Everyone knows that sport is not safe but we still go ahead with it. All this health and safety **** is pissing me off. Nowadays the whole world expects everything to be safe and if all these pc bums had their way, we'd all be wrapped in cotton wool! Bring back 8oz Reyes to world title fights too.
                  Piss off Rafael Benitez and go back to a thread that's more on your intellectual level: You're out of your league in legitimate threads.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post

You are ignorant and won't last long in these forums with that attitude.
                    Atleast he cannot say that I didn't warn him.

Clancy said he thought that Ali was about to collapse any moment and Frazier could've dropped him with one solid punch. Ali did fall down from exhaustion after the fight and often said he would not have come out for the 15th round but I guess we will never know.

I would never criticize Futch for his decision though, it was a brutal fight and Frazier was completely blind with his good eye all swollen up.
                    Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-14-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X