Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better P4P: Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better P4P: Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker?

Who is the better fighter P4P between the two? Both are known for being defensive wizards.

Willie

To me this isn't even close. Willie Pep was much better than Whitaker. Pep dominated for a longer period of time.

Comment

I think Whitaker.

Comment

Whitaker, just for the fact he was able to go up in weight and have success..

I don't thik pep would do as well at welter and jr mid...

Both greats, but I think pernell's success at the higher wieghts swings the vote towards him

Comment

Willie Pep. You can't replace the knowledge and experience gained in over 200 professional fights.

Comment

Whitaker..........

Whitaker. He is the greatest defensive fighter ever. Pep was the first defensive guru, but Whitaker takes the cake. You couldn't even consistently hit him with a jab, let alone much else, long enough to win rounds. I think that Pep was better than Floyd, defensively though. So my order is, Whitaker, Pep, and then Floyd at third.

Comment

Whitaker has the clear better resume IMO.

Comment

They could both move but I think Sweet Pea just about edges it. That's my own opinion though, it's hard to judge Pep's career fairly mainly because of a lack of footage. Over 200 fight's that's legendary in itself.

Comment

it is hard to compare fighters from different eras. Willie pep had a career lasting as long as Ray Robinson but focused mostly on defense were robinson was a devastating puncher. Pernell had a very good resume but fighters in his era just did not put in the number of fights as willie. I am not going to penalize pernell for that as he was a top 5 lightweight and had titles in other divison. Just my thoughts could be either way.

Comment

I think Whitaker was the better fighter. As for resume and all that stuff, here's a comparison:

Willie Pep
                    Overall Record------------------229-11-1
                    Non-World Level----------------199--5-1
                    Borderline World level--------------5--0-0
                    World Level-----------------------25-6-0

Opponents

Borderline
                    Pedro Hernandez, Bobby Ivy, Harold Dade, Corky Gonzales

World Level
                    Chalky Wright, Allie Stolz, Sammy Angott, Sal Bartolo, Jackie Wilson, Willie Joyce, Manuel Ortiz, Lulu Costantino, Charley Cabey Lewis, Phil Terranova, Jackie Graves, Humberto Sierra, Jock Leslie, Miguel Acevedo, Paddy DeMarco, Sandy Saddler, Eddie Compo, Charley Riley, Ray Famechon, Eddie Chavez, Tommy Collins, Hogan Kid Bassey

Pernell Whitaker
                    Overall Record--------------------41-4-1
                    Non-World Level------------------18-1-0
                    Borderline World Level--------------5-0-0
                    World Level-----------------------18-3-1

Opponents

Borderline
                    Alfredo Layne, Louie Lomeli, Santos Cardona, Gary Jacobs, Andrey Pestryaev

World Level
                    Roger Mayweather, Jose Luis Ramirez, Greg Haugen, Freddie Pendleton, Azumah Nelson, Juan Nazario, Anthony Jones, Poli Diaz, Jorge Paez, Harold Brazier, Rafael Pineda, Buddy McGirt, Julio Cesar Chavez, Julio Cesar Vasquez, Jake Rodriguez, Wilfredo Rivera, Diosbelys Hurtado, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad
                    Last edited by Humean; 01-02-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X