• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiv, please tell me you owe your name to

this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stiv Rex
      When I watched the 2nd hopkins taylor fight and the 12th ended I was thinking, man this isnt over, both of these guys have more fight in them and its too close. My history on this is spotty and I dont feel like looking it up right now, but they changed the max number of rounds in a fight from 15 to 12 after the ray mancini duk koo kim fight, right? was it suggested by dr. flip homansky, incorporated by the nevada athletic commission and then followed suit throughout the world? i think thats how it happened.
      anyway, i read about guys 100 years ago going 20, 30, 40 rounds and more. when was it set at 15? was it an unofficial thing that became official? i would think sometime in the 30's or so, but thats just a guess.
      am i the only guy who thinks that there should be 15 rounds again?
      Two things: 1.) Yes, I think that World Championship bouts should be 15 rounds. Primarily, I feel this way because the extra rounds would set a World Championship apart from any other fight and push the fighters to their limits....as should be the case for the richest prize in boxing. The fact is tragedies are going to happen in boxing...it's sad; but it's true....and they are going to happen whether a fight is 12 or 15. The only thing that can be done is rely upon the referee and ringside physicians to keep an intense eye on the situation...that's it. Boxing is dangeous whether it's a four or fourteen round match. Give the World Championships their significance back I say.

Now, #2.) I don't think I would have wanted to see three more rounds of Taylor-Hopkins. Depite the skill B-Hops has, I thought I had a "smellivision" that fight stunk so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
        Now, #2.) I don't think I would have wanted to see three more rounds of Taylor-Hopkins. Depite the skill B-Hops has, I thought I had a "smellivision" that fight stunk so bad.

okay fine, i give. taylor hopkins, all 24 rounds, pretty much sucked.

Comment

Naw that's not Sid Vicious, it's Stiv Bators. Frontman of the Dead Boys, one of my all time favorite bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            Stiv, please tell me you owe your name to

this guy.
            that ***** look worse than the rolling stones, lol!!

Comment

Fighters will continue to die in the ring until the end of the sport. There is no getting around it. When you have two guys fighting for tons of money in front of thousands of people you know that neither one is going to give an inch. They are going to fight their hearts out because neither one wants to look week, or take the losers share. I mean people die in 4 round tough man competitions, people have died in 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 round fights. I mean it doesnt matter how long the fight is scheduled for if a fighter is in serious trouble its the refs job to step in and end it. Thats the reason hes in there to keep it clean and to prevent either fighter from suffering any long term damage. I say bring back the 15 rounders, especially for the smaller guys. Todays fighters have better stamina than any of the fighters who fought in 15 rounders, and far better stamina than the guys who fought in 15 plus rounders way back when. I mean hell, back then everyone smoked and drink like sailors and still went 20 - 30 rounds, you dont think guys like Mayweather, Pacqiou and Taylor who have never smoked a single cigar and rarely if ever drink alcohol couldnt do the same? Be serious, we need the 15 rounders again, if im payin 50 dollars a fight i wanna at least see the guys break a sweat, you know what im sayin fellas????

There is however one division i never wish to see another 15 rounder for and thats the Heavyweights. I mean could you imagine watchin John Ruiz vs Chris Byrd for 15 rounds????

Comment

when it comes down to it, its the refs job to stop the fight. all they need is some better refs. i would fall asleep on that ruiz ****.

Comment

Originally posted by leff
                  the death in the kim fight was because off bad reffing, i want the 15 rounders back
                  Referee Richard Greene (also reffed Ai-Holmes) should not be criticized for the way he handled the Mancini-Kim fight. Although Greene later committed suicide we don't know what other personal problems he had which may have led to him taking his own life.

Mancini-Kim was a toe-to toe brawl with two head-on fighters who were similar in size, style and physical attributes. I remember watching the fight live and at no time did I ever think either fighter was in jeopardy of being hurt, much less killed.

In the older days fighters had to make weight the day of the fight which often caused fighters to enter the ring dehydrated. Maybe the fact that heavyweights don't have to make weight by dehydrating themselves is a factor in why no man has ever died fighting a 15 round heavyweight championship fight.

Cutting championship fights to 12 rounds didn't help bantamweight Kiko Bejines who died after being KO'd in the 12th and last round against Alberto Davila in a WBC bantamweight title fight in September 1983.

Nowadays, fighters weigh in the day before a fight which allow them to replenish and hydrate their bodies and relace lost fluids and get closer to their natural 'in fighting shape' weight. Maybe this rule should have been introduced first before cutting fights from 15 rounds to 12.

Comment

Originally posted by smasher
                    Referee Richard Greene (also reffed Ai-Holmes) should not be criticized for the way he handled the Mancini-Kim fight. Although Greene later committed suicide we don't know what other personal problems he had which may have led to him taking his own life.

Mancini-Kim was a toe-to toe brawl with two head-on fighters who were similar in size, style and physical attributes. I remember watching the fight live and at no time did I ever think either fighter was in jeopardy of being hurt, much less killed.

In the older days fighters had to make weight the day of the fight which often caused fighters to enter the ring dehydrated. Maybe the fact that heavyweights don't have to make weight by dehydrating themselves is a factor in why no man has ever died fighting a 15 round heavyweight championship fight.

Cutting championship fights to 12 rounds didn't help bantamweight Kiko Bejines who died after being KO'd in the 12th and last round against Alberto Davila in a WBC bantamweight title fight in September 1983.

Nowadays, fighters weigh in the day before a fight which allow them to replenish and hydrate their bodies and relace lost fluids and get closer to their natural 'in fighting shape' weight. Maybe this rule should have been introduced first before cutting fights from 15 rounds to 12.
                    allrighty than, atleast it seems you agree that the length off rounds is not the reason off the death, so 15 rounds again would be nice.

by the way it takes 48 hours to get back to normal from dehydration.

Comment

Originally posted by leff
                      it takes 48 hours to get back to normal from dehydration.
                      I'm assuming that's from clinical dehydration, which is a state I would hope a fighter would not put himself in the day before a fight. Perhaps a better word would be depleted. In any event getting weighed the morning of the day before a fight gives the body at least 36 hours to hydrate which is better than what it once was. That's why jr. welters are often entering the ring at about 160 lbs by fight time...

Comment

Working...
                      X