Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMAZING! James Corbett and Gene Tunney demonstrating tactics.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMAZING! James Corbett and Gene Tunney demonstrating tactics.

The youtube dates the film in 1925 so it would be during Tunney's heyday and Corbett's late years. They show several punches. Even an example of a great punch in Dempsey-Firpo.

At 1:20 they do show great examples of tricks Marcos Maidana may want to use if he fights dirty again.

It's amazing how much boxing has evolved. It was much simpler then and there were huge gaps in defense.

IMO boxing really didn't develop into the "sweet science" until the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      It's amazing how much boxing has evolved. It was much simpler then and there were huge gaps in defense.

By that do you mean by how well spread "the science" was across all fighters? Because I would say definitely men like Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott had the science down pat, to the best of their knowledge and ability at the time and it for sure wasn't as crude as the 1800-1920s

Comment

The right hand to the body (after slipping a jab to the inside) that they showed is under used today. The footwork and the feints looked good to me as well.

Comment

If we had a time machine I would use fighters like Miguel Cotto/Ricardo Lopez/Mike McCallum as the standard sparring to really see how fundamentally sound fighters in these days were.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
            By that do you mean by how well spread "the science" was across all fighters? Because I would say definitely men like Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott had the science down pat, to the best of their knowledge and ability at the time and it for sure wasn't as crude as the 1800-1920s
            Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            The right hand to the body (after slipping a jab to the inside) that they showed is under used today. The footwork and the feints looked good to me as well.
            Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
            If we had a time machine I would use fighters like Miguel Cotto/Ricardo Lopez/Mike McCallum as the standard sparring to really see how fundamentally sound fighters in these days were.
            I meant mostly defensively. Look I'm as big a fan of the old timers as anyone but the truth is, the idea of defense wasn't as well known. Now I know there were great defensive fighters in the old days, but even the idea of a high guard wasn't really prevalent in those times.

Boxing, like everything else really started evolving IMO in the early 60's, where more movement and defense were looked upon as acceptable. A man like Ali was seen as revolutionary, because in the HW division, they really didn't see a man of his size, move that way.

Again, I'm generalizing but I think when you look at the whole picture I think I'm correct. I have tons of fights on video, and I see fights from the 30's-50's and guys were literally just standing there trading huge shots with little to no defense a lot of the time.

Comment

I meant mostly defensively. Look I'm as big a fan of the old timers as anyone but the truth is, the idea of defense wasn't as well known. Now I know there were great defensive fighters in the old days, but even the idea of a high guard wasn't really prevalent in those times.

Boxing, like everything else really started evolving IMO in the early 60's, where more movement and defense were looked upon as acceptable. A man like Ali was seen as revolutionary, because in the HW division, they really didn't see a man of his size, move that way.

Again, I'm generalizing but I think when you look at the whole picture I think I'm correct. I have tons of fights on video, and I see fights from the 30's-50's and guys were literally just standing there trading huge shots with little to no defense a lot of the time.
              First of all they are demonstrating techniques. They are deliberately showing the effects of the punch, hence no defense. Also the low guardfighting has a lot more to it. There is a false line created where the head is off the punching line but in line with the shoulder, the fighting distance is such that footwork closes the distance, etc.

Comment

Honestly, I know I'm gonna get yelled at for saying this, but they looked very unskilled.. I know it was just a demonstration but they looked very crude.. There was nothing in there that impressed me, looked like some actors pretending to be fighters..

Comment

Cool old video. Thanks!

Comment

You can't help but say..what the fck was that ? Haha

Comment

Working...
                    X