No announcement yet.

harder left hook. morrison or cooney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    I remember Foreman saying that nobody ever hit him harder than Cooney did with the left hook. Seeing as Foreman shared 12 round with Morrison I'd lean towards Cooney having the advantage here.
    yea,,,,I remember seeing that interview. he said cooney and ron lyle hit him so hard he couldnt feel the punch because he was so numbed. he said they were the 2 hardest punchers he faced. he also said that cooneys left hook was more powerful than fraziers. dunno if thats true but it did come from foremans mouth. obviously frazier would have ripped through cooney tho

Comment

I would give the edge to Gerry.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
        yea,they did both have similiar careers to an extent. I remember morrison saying he felt cooney was one dimensional and that he was a more complete fighter. he probably was the better 2 fisted fighter and probably had more heart but my gut tells me that cooney would stop morrison early. tough call tho
        agree 100% cooney would destroy the duke. cooney hit harder and had bad intentions when he threw his money shot.

Comment

Cooneys left hook had ridiculous power behind it. That would be a scary punch to get hit with

Comment

I would go with Cooney too.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
              yea,,,,I remember seeing that interview. he said cooney and ron lyle hit him so hard he couldnt feel the punch because he was so numbed. he said they were the 2 hardest punchers he faced. he also said that cooneys left hook was more powerful than fraziers. dunno if thats true but it did come from foremans mouth. obviously frazier would have ripped through cooney tho

Yea, Cooney wasn't in Frazier's league. But I agree with George Foreman, I think Cooney had the harder left hook. Frazier did hit Foreman with quite a few meaty left hooks in their return bout....but none really budged Big George.

Comment

Cooney came from a well established boxing culture. While the stereotype for the Irish guys is brawlers and brawn, Coonie and Quarry had ring smarts. I think that with Morrison he was fabulous when he was just coming up from getting fed second rate opposition. When the microscope came off Morrison he started to become a one punch kind of fighter.

Morrison had talent that far exceeded Cooney and even Quarry...He had quick feet and good compact power but he just took a wrong turn somewhere and we don't really get many (If any) second chances.

At his best with good trainers Morrison beats Cooney and a lot more. At his mean....Cooney prolly wins it.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Cooney came from a well established boxing culture. While the stereotype for the Irish guys is brawlers and brawn, Coonie and Quarry had ring smarts. I think that with Morrison he was fabulous when he was just coming up from getting fed second rate opposition. When the microscope came off Morrison he started to become a one punch kind of fighter.

Morrison had talent that far exceeded Cooney and even Quarry...He had quick feet and good compact power but he just took a wrong turn somewhere and we don't really get many (If any) second chances.

At his best with good trainers Morrison beats Cooney and a lot more. At his mean....Cooney prolly wins it.
                  Yea if morrison wasnt such a party animal I think he would have had a much more succesful career. He had very good technique,,,speed,,,power...combination punching. I really thought he was going to be a world champion before he ran into ray mercer. not sure if that fight ruined him or just his lack of dedication and excessive partying

Comment

cooney had the bigger punch, IMO.

morrison was faster of hand, and could catch a man in exchanges, or even move his feet to land the hook.

cooney might have the best left hook to the liver that i've ever seen from a big man. it could end a fight. it was not as prolific, but it was a harder punch than fraziers.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      cooney had the bigger punch, IMO.

morrison was faster of hand, and could catch a man in exchanges, or even move his feet to land the hook.

cooney might have the best left hook to the liver that i've ever seen from a big man. it could end a fight. it was not as prolific, but it was a harder punch than fraziers.
                      well said. I agree with all of this. would have been scary if cooney would have had a better straight right hand and more speed to go with those very heavy hands

Comment

Working...
                      X