No announcement yet.

Prime Ali vs Prime Marciano: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
    To me, prime Ali was only knocked down 1 time. Against one of the hardest punchers ever, delivering one of the hardest and most picture perfect punches ever landed, in the 15th round of an extremely gruelling fight. And Ali calmly got up to his feet at the count of 3 with no wobble in his step.
    Ali was not prime against Frazier the first time, which is what you are referring to. No way. His speed, his legs, his reflexes, combination punching, just weren't the same

Comment

Marciano's technical skills do get underrated, this is typical for swarming boxers. They almost always get outboxed in a fight or at least for a good portion of one and that memory sticks. As a result, the boxing skill it takes to be a successful swarming pressure fighter is overlooked.

That being said, I don't think Marciano has a good chance against Ali. Frazier was a buzzsaw at all times. He pushed the pace and moved in quickly. Marciano tended to stalk his opponents at a measured pace, set up an angle he wanted and get pretty close before launching his attack. It is not suited to constantly pressure someone like a prime Ali, he'd get peppered with jabs and rights while trying to set an angle on a moving Ali

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        You are dismissive of Marciano's competition. These so called old fighters were incredible talents...size is one variable, look at Frazier's size compared to Ali and he was able to give Ali fits. If Marciano was so unganely he would never have beat, or even been able to trade with the likes of the people he beat....with the exception of an obviously old Joe Louis.

I don't know who would win but what I do know is that Frazier was hell on Ali and that Marciano when viewed carefully from a technical perspective, was much better than he often gets credit for.
        Great post. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
          Ali was not prime against Frazier the first time, which is what you are referring to. No way. His speed, his legs, his reflexes, combination punching, just weren't the same
          I was trying to stay away from that because if I had mentioned that on top of everything else I said it'd make me look like a fanboy. I would basicely be saying that Ali only had a prime that lasted for 3 to 4 years, similar to Tyson fans who say he only had 2-3 prime years.

Lets put it this way, Ali's durability was definitely prime in the first frazier fight which is the point.

Comment

I was trying to stay away from that because if I had mentioned that on top of everything else I said it'd make me look like a fanboy. I would basicely be saying that Ali only had a prime that lasted for 3 to 4 years, similar to Tyson fans who say he only had 2-3 prime years.

Lets put it this way, Ali's durability was definitely prime in the first frazier fight which is the point.
            Prime Ali has more tools, and has a reach and height advantage, but people underrate Marcianos ability to get inside and do tremendous damage to the body and come upstairs, Rocky had power in both hands and could move his head well, I see Rocky slipping most of Ali's shots as he cuts off the ring and closes the distance, with Rocky pressuring him constantly and taking his legs away by the 6th round, then walking him down and brutalizing him.

Comment

I was trying to stay away from that because if I had mentioned that on top of everything else I said it'd make me look like a fanboy. I would basically be saying that Ali only had a prime that lasted for 3 to 4 years, similar to Tyson fans who say he only had 2-3 prime years.

Yeah, but it's still not the same thing. It's true tbh. Ali's prime was 64-67, when he was at his absolute best. He had matured phyichally, and was no longer the skinny Cassius Clay that got dropped by Cooper & "ran from Sonny Liston" (in his own words)

Tyson's prime was 86-89. It's close to the same thing. Tyson fan boys are far worse, but anyway, Ali was at his very best by 1967 and they took away what would've been his best years when he got banned.

I guess Ali's durability was at it's best, since he had fully matured by then, but Ali's speed, defense, reflexes, and legs weren't at their best anymore. Prime Ali wouldn't have got hit by all the punches Frazier got in, still a close fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Prime Ali has more tools, and has a reach and height advantage, but people underrate Marcianos ability to get inside and do tremendous damage to the body and come upstairs, Rocky had power in both hands and could move his head well, I see Rocky slipping most of Ali's shots as he cuts off the ring and closes the distance, with Rocky pressuring him constantly and taking his legs away by the 6th round, then walking him down and brutalizing him.
                Right, and now envision a scenario in your dreamworld where Ali's hands aren't tied behind his back and he's allowed to hit Rocky back as well.

Comment

I think it would go to Ali on points. Both fighters had inhuman endurance and the last round would be as exciting as any.

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg

Click the above link to hear what Ali says about him vs Rocky
                    I think it's a 50/50 fight.

Comment

Right, and now envision a scenario in your dreamworld where Ali's hands aren't tied behind his back and he's allowed to hit Rocky back as well.
                      I kinda agree with him. ali was obviously much more talented much like he was much more talented than Norton but I think Marciano's style would have given ali fits. I wouldn't go as far as saying Marciano wins but I think he would make it at least competitive and then some

Comment

Working...
                      X