Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    What I never understood was why Tyson had more acclaim than Holmes.
    Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Because Tyson was more popular, both in and out of the ring. Most boxing writers are really just fans who get paid.
    He was more popular because of his punching power (KO ratio). In all of sports, people are more drawn to - metaphorically speaking - the "long ball". (Home run, touchdown, slam dunk, etc.) Hence (Babe) Ruth over (Ty) Cobb.

Probable reason for which Foreman maintains a slim margin over Holmes in the poll to date.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      What I never understood was why Tyson had more acclaim than Holmes.
      Holmes is the poster child for the renaissance of the revisionist man. I am glad because he deserved it but he was really not respected...aclaimed at all while Tyson was the uberman....A veritable Gatti who had elite capabilities and guys stayed down after they were hit.

It is amazing but a lot of people who should have known better were on the Holmes is a carbon copy of Ali bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Holmes is the poster child for the renaissance of the revisionist man. I am glad because he deserved it but he was really not respected...aclaimed at all while Tyson was the uberman....A veritable Gatti who had elite capabilities and guys stayed down after they were hit.

It is amazing but a lot of people who should have known better were on the Holmes is a carbon copy of Ali bandwagon.
        It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Holmes was obscured by the giant shadow cast by Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
          It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Holmes was obscured by the giant shadow cast by Ali.
          yeah, and people hated him for beating Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            Oh and just like with Lewis....they were unrelenting. It was Ali's shadow but there were other issues. Holmes was, like Lewis, a simple man at heart, unlike the charismaic Ali.

Comment

I'm surprised it's so close. No doubt Holmes was a great fighter. But compared to Foreman? Jeez.

Comment

I don't get it round here when people just assume Foreman was a limited slugger and Holmes would box his brains out... Foreman would be landing some thunder at some stage and Holmes although he has a good chin does not have the punch resistance of Ali

Foreman was the better fighter and has a greater resume imo

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Hans Landa View Post
                  I don't get it round here when people just assume Foreman was a limited slugger and Holmes would box his brains out... Foreman would be landing some thunder at some stage and Holmes although he has a good chin does not have the punch resistance of Ali

Foreman was the better fighter and has a greater resume imo
                  yea,,,,foreman was a much more intelligent fighter than people give him credit for. holmes had tremendous heart and resolve but he was dropped by guys with nowhere near the 2 fisted power that foreman possessed. thats not to say george would have walked right thru larry but I think odds are pretty good that he very well could have stopped him in the mid rounds. tough fight to call

Comment

Comparing old-timers – who beats who – well, it’s just a game of mind-play, and the only answer can only be our subjective one. If it’s correct or not, no one will ever be able to prove.

If anyone put Larry Holmes as the no. 1 ATG I wouldn’t mind. And Ol’ George was likewise as tough – both entering the ring at over 70 occasions, and never afraid of taking on the best opposition available.

Today, it seems several present champs can take a hide under the boxing org. vs boxing org. disagreements, and the HBO vs Showtime disagreements.
                    They don’t need to face the best opposition available, and yet they call themselves “champions”?

And that’s why their names won’t turn up in the future on this history section, because the fans prefer to discuss the ones who never ducked the best – such as Larry and George.

Comment

Working...
                    X