Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sam Langford the greatest fighter never to win a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Langford > Burley.

And yes, I don't think there's any doubt that Langford is the greatest fighter to never win a (official) title. He has one of the best resume's in boxing, period. Belt or no belt, Langford is top 5 ATG material.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Langford > Burley.

And yes, I don't think there's any doubt that Langford is the greatest fighter to never win a (official) title. He has one of the best resume's in boxing, period. Belt or no belt, Langford is top 5 ATG material.
      Perhaps the best resume in boxing. Greb's is the only resume I rank above Langford's, and that's a razor-thin call.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        langford is a much greater fighter than burley.
        Way more accomplished.

Comment

Sam Langford did win a world title, in fact he won several. You don't have to believe Fleischer's distorted history of who the 'real' champions were anymore. Langford was at least a two weight world champion, maybe three or four.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Perhaps the best resume in boxing. Greb's is the only resume I rank above Langford's, and that's a razor-thin call.
            There are a few that compares to it I think.

Canzoneri, Armstrong, McCLarnin, Ray Robinson, Leonard are really the only ones that compares to his resume. But I would probably say Langford's is that bit stronger.

Greb's is probably the only one you can say is the best of all fighters.

Ezzard Charles also has an outstanding resume.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              There are a few that compares to it I think.

Canzoneri, Armstrong, McCLarnin, Ray Robinson, Leonard are really the only ones that compares to his resume. But I would probably say Langford's is that bit stronger.

Greb's is probably the only one you can say is the best of all fighters.

Ezzard Charles also has an outstanding resume.
              Burley beat Charles twice no? And Archie Moore. Agreed, greb, Robinson and Langford had great resumes. Muhammad ali had a great resume too, and as much as I didn't like him, so did Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                Did Robinson purposely avoid fighting Burley?
                From boxrec encyclopedia:

Burley was among a group of feared and avoided black fighters in the 1940s referred to as "The Black Murderers' Row," a term coined by writer Budd Schulberg. The group included Eddie Booker, Jack Chase, Cocoa Kid, Bert Lytell, Lloyd Marshall, Aaron "Tiger" Wade, and Holman Williams.

George Gainford, manager of Sugar Ray Robinson, admitted that he "bypassed" Burley "because his style was such he would have counteracted Robinson's." He asked Ray Arcel, "Can't you get me someone besides Burley?"

Johnny Ray, manager of Billy Conn, shouted at matchmaker Art Rooney, who proposed Burley as an opponent, "No! No! No! I don't want Burley. You can have him for Christmas, for New Year's, or your Aunt Tillie's birthday. But never mention his name again."

Fritzie Zivic, who lost two out of three fights to Burley, had his manager, Luke Carney, take over Burley's contract to ensure he would never have to face him again.
                I think the champion who avoided Burley the most was Henry Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
                  Charley Burley or Sam Langford
                  As others have said: Langford > Burley.

Another guy deserving mention is Packey McFarland.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    As others have said: Langford > Burley.

Another guy deserving mention is Packey McFarland.
                    Peter Jackson and billy graham deserve mentions too. Earnie shavers aswell

Comment

He held a "world" title but I don't think it was recognised by certain states and magazines.

Comment

Working...
                      X