• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supaduck
    He knew RJJ was able to withstand that
    Your joking right??

Comment

One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones?
      Well, unless you were hiding under a rock that was the fight everybody wanted to see for 12 months. Jones said Benn was the only challenge out there for him but that he wouldn't fight for Don King.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Peru
        Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight.

If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.
        Jones would have stood no chance against McClellan according to Michael Moorer. McClellan had Jones pinned against the ropes every time they sparred, and was the last guy to legitimately beat Jones before Tarver got him (and apparently it was a one-sided beatdown).

As for a super middleweight Nigel Benn, he was ducking and weaving under punches as well as anybody (whereas Jones would just run) and placing shots to the vital points. Against McClellan though, he brought the beast back because he knew he couldn't out-box him.

Comment

Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him.
          Dude, McClellan was lucky to come out of there alive. Benn hit him with about 10,000 knockout punches. Benn's the hardest hitter to ever grace the middleweight division, but didn't punch anybody as hard as he could post-Watson until bringing the beast back for McClellan.

McClellan - best chin I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Peru
            If Benn could catch him, Jones would have easily.
            Totally disagree, Benn's spring was second to none. When Benn bent at the waist in front of you, you didn't have a chance to get out of the way.

At his very best, Benn was in a class of his own.

Comment

Originally posted by JuicyJuice
              Totally disagree, Benn's spring was second to none. When Benn bent at the waist in front of you, you didn't have a chance to get out of the way.

At his very best, Benn was in a class of his own.
              I agree with ur points.

But i still say Jones was incredibly fast and accurate at his best.
              He was faster than Benn, and therefore i believe would have been able to outbox McClellan.
              I havent seen him sparring, or the amatuer fight with Jones. Pro Jones improved an awful lot by the time he was Super Middleweight champ. So i dont know how relavent the McClellan fight was.

Benn was amazing against McClellan. And his movement coming in under punches was great. Reminded me of the footage ive seen of Dempsy and Henry Armstrong.

McClellan was a great puncher, and could have KO'd Jones, but id have Jones as favourite at Supermiddle.

Comment

The amateur fight and sparring domination are quite relevant because McClellan improved an equal amount after leaving the amateurs and moving up to super middle. I'd say McClellan for this one.

Comment

The amateur fight and sparring domination are quite relevant because McClellan improved an equal amount after leaving the amateurs and moving up to super middle. I'd say McClellan for this one.
                  Yea, but it sounds like hearsay to me.
                  Ive always heard these stories from the amatuers and sparring sessions. They all seem like legend to me.

Until i see the footage, i aint convinced.

But im also biased towards Jones. Plus i just want to have the last word.

Comment

Yeah but look at McClellan's record. The Benn fight only half counts because he had a legitimate reason for it to be a no contest (his brain clotted). He had two points losses before that, but he obviously improved hugely (his KOs of Julian Jackson were awesome imo). He just looked to me like the real deal, and I think he was class. I reckon he woulda beat Jones.

Comment

supaduck, please stfu, noob.

Comment

Working...
                      X