No announcement yet.

Famous draws in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    I don't consider any draw good. I say let them fight a sudden death round or make fights have an odd number of rounds to avoid them.
    Or let "Compubox" decide the winner on the basis of who lands the most punches. When fights were limited to 15 rounds, draws still occured.
    Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Famous - Greb Flowers

Best - Starling Breland II

Worst - Nelson Fenech I

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
        Or let "Compubox" decide the winner on the basis of who lands the most punches. When fights were limited to 15 rounds, draws still occured.
        I'd agree with that, if you go with punches landed per round and not total for the whole fight.

Comment

Famous draws

Two famous draws I can recall both involve Gene Fullmer

A nasty head butting draw with Joey Giardello that was televised
          and a draw with Sugar Ray. They fought 4 times...Fullmer 2decisions
          Sugar Ray with the famous KO and a draw.

Comment

Fenech, Benn and Hagler all got robbed in their time.

Fenech beat Nelson first time round; no debate needed.
            Benn edged Eubank secomd time round. Only just; but just was enough.
            Marvellous Marvin Hagler beat Antuofermo well before he arrived in London to beat Minter for the title.

Somewhere in this list of legendary fighters is a half-forgotten Irishman called Ray Close who beat Eubank cleanly, clearly and with plenty to spare all the way back in 1993 in Glasgow. The decision still stinks the place out 21 years later and Close should be enjoying the life of an ex-world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              If they ever use Compubox to score fights, I'll stop watching pro boxing. Sounds like the same crap that ruined amateur boxing. Sometime a couple of big shots tilt the round in favor of one fighter. Compubox (which is far from flawless) would totally miss that. I'll take a draw any day over a contrived scoring system.

Comment

If other sports can have overtime and amateur wrestling can have an extra period to decide a winner, why not boxing then. One more round, winner of the round wins the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  If other sports can have overtime and amateur wrestling can have an extra period to decide a winner, why not boxing then. One more round, winner of the round wins the fight.
                  I've seen that done before. Definitely happened on the ESPN fights many years ago. Boxing isn't the best sport for that, but it is certainly a better option than trying to pick a winner in a fight that was scored even.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
                    Fenech, Benn and Hagler all got robbed in their time.

Fenech beat Nelson first time round; no debate needed.
                    Benn edged Eubank secomd time round. Only just; but just was enough.
                    Marvellous Marvin Hagler beat Antuofermo well before he arrived in London to beat Minter for the title.

Somewhere in this list of legendary fighters is a half-forgotten Irishman called Ray Close who beat Eubank cleanly, clearly and with plenty to spare all the way back in 1993 in Glasgow. The decision still stinks the place out 21 years later and Close should be enjoying the life of an ex-world champion.
                    Very True!

Comment

Dokes-Weaver 2, Weaver is the third man to have regain the heavyweight title but was denied by the decision of the judges.

Quartey-Jose Luis Lopez - most people thought Quartey won.

Comment

Working...
                      X