Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many hear think Barkly Duran deserved to be fight of the Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hear think Barkly Duran deserved to be fight of the Year?

I know there has been some debate on here as who deserved the decision but no one can say it was not an excellent fight with both fighters showing skill and determination. Please comment on what you thought of the fight and your favorite rounds. Also were there other fights that year that deserved consideration for fight of the year?

great performance by duran,, great fight..

cant think of any in 89 that would top it, off the top of my head

maybe holyfield-dokes

Comment

That really was a fun fight. Duran just further proved what a legend he was.

Comment

that fight had me at the edge of my seat. Duran won but it was a war.

Comment

Originally posted by Trenchant View Post
          that fight had me at the edge of my seat. Duran won but it was a war.
          One of the aspects that was great was how the late Gil Clancy commentated on the fight he could sense the swings in momentum I believe in the seventh round Iran hit Roberto with a hook so hard it spun duran almost completely around. I recall Iran hitting another contender with a similar punch and it not only ko'd him it cause him to break his ankle. After that round Duran slowly got the momentum back and Clancy said that he sensed that Duran seemed like he got another gear and at that point in the fight he could take a better shot than iran. The 11 th round was of course the knockdown of iran by that unbelievable combo by Cholo. What a fight!!!

Comment

What other fights from 89 deserve to be considered,,

only one i can think of is dokes-holyfield but i dont think it tops duran-blade

What other great fights happened that year, im kinda drawing a blank

Comment

Certainly not Leonard-Duran 3.

Comment

There were several suggestions in this thread about 1989.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558048

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  There were several suggestions in this thread about 1989.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558048
                  Thanks TBEAR,,,

Im glad that holy-dokes gotta alot of love in that thread,,, I always loved that fight, i mentioned it here in this thread but got no response so im glad it did get some love in the link you provided

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Certainly not Leonard-Duran 3.
                    yeah you got that right. To be fair to both fighters it was like 45 degree's that night and if you notice leonards corner was covering him with blankets between rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X