Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    arguello
    hopkins
    jmm
    cory spinks
    chris byrd
    james toney at cruiser/heavy

All these guys had great skills but didnt possess one-punch power, or incredible hand speed,,, Just really good boxers with great wills to win
    I never thought that I would see Cory Spinks proposed as a technically skilled fighter. Can you explain why you choosed him?

/greeh

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
      I never thought that I would see Cory Spinks proposed as a technically skilled fighter. Can you explain why you choosed him?

/greeh
      I just chose him because he was the lineal welter, and a jr mid champ, and i think he beat jermaine taylor for the lineal mw belt but judges didnt agree,,,

I picked him because he is not an ATG or even a HOFer but just a level below that,, he beat a prime zab and prime mayorga
      So i would say he had a really good career, most boxers would love to have the fights and belts he has had,,,

Cory didnt have blazing speed, or power, didnt have a great chin,, but he was a tricky southpaw and in his prime was a tough out for anyone,,,

I think he accomplished alot for not having any great assets as a fighter, his greatest asset was his last name,,,

He is hell better fighter and career than say ronald hearns, chazz witherspoon etc,,,

was spinks a great fighter,, no, but he was a damn good one from 2000-07 roughly,,,

but i can see how one would disagree with me,, i just think he accomplished alot without very many natural god-given talents

Comment

Aaron Pryor
        Sugar Ray Leonard
        Marvelous Marvin
        Sweet Pea (I don't even call him by his real name anymore)

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
          I don’t agree with this.

Donald Curry had the right sort of style, but was too physically gifted for the criterion I set. He had a superb combination of overall speed and strength. In my opinion he only lacked top durability for being in the very highest echelons of physical marvels in the 147 lbs division.

/greeh

How about Larry Holmes? Probably the best example of what you are looking for......no one defining attribute, but more than competent in just about every aspect of the game.

There were faster, more powerful, larger, more elusive heavyweights. But Larry's success came because he was very good in all departments.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
            Aaron Pryor
            Sugar Ray Leonard
            Marvelous Marvin
            Sweet Pea (I don't even call him by his real name anymore)

You gotta be kidding with me?

/greeh

Comment

What about Winky Wright?

Comment

Originally posted by cleming View Post
                What about Winky Wright?
                YEAH, thats a good one,,, winky didnt have alot going for him, but the dude could box and jab

Comment

The next fighter I’m going to suggest is Ayub Kalule.
                  He was a silky smooth textbook box-fighter, heavily slanting towards methodical, quite aggressive but still patient counter-punching, in the same mould as Juan Manuel Marquez. He fought equally well moving forward as backwards.

His footwork was textbook-perfect, and when he integrated it with his upper body movement, it was beautiful to watch.

He had a technically sound defense, and this coupled with his sublime footwork and consistent head and upper body movement, made him to a difficult target to hit, even in the midst of his offensive precision work.

Overall a very good fighter and craftsman, that lacked any notable physical gifts, especially in the chin and power department, but would be a tough fight for all the boxer-types at 154/160 lbs without notable power.

/greeh

Comment

Originally posted by cleming View Post
                    What about Winky Wright?
                    That's a good shout, cleming.

/greeh

Comment

Harold Johnson
                      Carlos Monzon
                      Alexis Arguello

My 3 favourite fighters, coincidentally.

Comment

Working...
                      X