No announcement yet.

how do you rank toneys hw performances

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you rank toneys hw performances

its pretty impressive as he debuted at 160 and is listed at only 5'9/10 or 11 depending what u read but defo under 6ft

and he has a win over holyfield

how do u see a hvyweight toney who fought holyfield vs current wlad

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
    its pretty impressive as he debuted at 160 and is listed at only 5'9/10 or 11 depending what u read but defo under 6ft

and he has a win over holyfield

how do u see a hvyweight toney who fought holyfield vs current wlad
    The night Toney beat Holyfield his boxing was sheer art. Beautiful!

Would 'that' Toney beat the Wlad of last weekend? Probably......

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

are you serious? toney would get butchered. he hadnt the size or power to get to wlad. horrible beating for toney. too damn small

Comment

Wlad UDs any version of Toney

Wlad isn't going to fight him in the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
            are you serious? toney would get butchered. he hadnt the size or power to get to wlad. horrible beating for toney. too damn small
            He had the power to stop Holyfield. One of the best chins in heavyweight history! Even post prime.......

I have to be honest though. Wlad really didn't look anything special at all last weekend. He does have an uncanny ability to avoid right hands....I respect that; but his repeated clinching, pushing down and leaning are just as dirty in my opinion as Tyson's elbow work, Holyfield's head work or Golota's low blows.

The night Toney beat Holyfield, he really was special. His performances at heavyweight did deteriorate; but for that night I'd be more than happy to throw him in with last week's Wlad.
            Last edited by Sugarj; 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

He had the power to stop Holyfield. One of the best chins in heavyweight history! Even post prime.......

I have to be honest though. Wlad really didn't look anything special at all last weekend. He does have an uncanny ability to avoid right hands....I respect that; but his repeated clinching, pushing down and leaning are just as dirty in my opinion as Tyson's elbow work, Holyfield's head work or Golota's low blows.

The night Toney beat Holyfield, he really was special. His performances at heavyweight did deteriorate; but for that night I'd be more than happy to throw him in with last week's Wlad.
              holyfield was shot to bits tho. he lost just as badly to larry donald in his next fight. I agree that wlad was terrible in his last fight but hed still easily beat toney. toney just doesnt have the size or power to trouble wlad

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                holyfield was shot to bits tho. he lost just as badly to larry donald in his next fight. I agree that wlad was terrible in his last fight but hed still easily beat toney. toney just doesnt have the size or power to trouble wlad
                If Toney had the power to stop Holyfield, he had the power to trouble Wlad. I do doubt it would happen though. I'd lean towards a decision; I have only praise for Wlad's ability to avoid taking dangerous shots these days, and with all that clinching and pushing down.....he really is a handful, very difficult to beat.

But Holyfield wasn't stopped by Donald. Only Riddick Bowe and Toney have managed that feat. Its arguable that five years after his loss to Toney Holyfield wasn't much less impressive than David Haye in their respective fights with Valuev. Very much post prime......but his chin was still good and I don't think Holyfield's deterioration flattered Toney; Toney was impressive regardless.

As for the Toney who met Holyfield; he was many times better than last week's Povetkin. The fight is definitely worth a rewatch, it was a brilliant performance by Toney.

Comment

Wlad is a interesting match up vs Holyfields Toney. Wlad could jab and clinch to wear him out all night but the interesting thing is Toneys shortness so Wlad would have to bend over to clinch and Toney could maybe catch him there.

That was Toneys claim to fame at heavyweight. It really hurt his heavyweight legacy that Peter never did much after beating him besides stopping McCline.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

He had the power to stop Holyfield. One of the best chins in heavyweight history!
                    Not taking anything away from his win over Holyfield, but it was a premature stoppage. Holyfield could have fought on.

That being said, the way he completely outboxed Ruiz and Holyfield was magnificent for such a small guy. He had good power at HW too. These two guys must have two of the best chins in the business, and he hurt them both.

Funny thing is, that despite being relatively fat, short and old, Toney was actually one of the most skillful heavyweights at the time and probably would have been today as well.

He rolled with the punches well and had great timing with his own punches. I liked what I saw.

Comment

Working...
                    X