No announcement yet.

Fighters like Ken Norton

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters like Ken Norton

Ken Norton was a truly great and special fighter with a weird style. I'm really impressed with his unorthodox "crab" style defense, and I wonder what are some other fighters who utilized this technique?

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    Ken Norton was a truly great and special fighter with a weird style. I'm really impressed with his unorthodox "crab" style defense, and I wonder what are some other fighters who utilized this technique?
    Tim Witherspoon is my first thought but I'm sure there are many others.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Norton learned that from Archie Moore.

Comment

I can't think of any who used this defense exclusively but george foreman in a couple of his comeback fights used it

and also Azumah Nelson used the defense against Pernell Whitaker but I think this was because he was so frustrated and he was trying anything to get inside on Whitaker and nothing was working

Comment

Ken Norton used a Cross-Arm Defense which is I believe not the same as Crab Defense. Crab Defense was used by Archie Moore, Walcott I believe.
          James Toney, Mike McTigue.
          Last edited by Salardo; 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Well, most famously was the originator of the style: Archie Moore.

Tim Witherspoon also comes to mind.

Comment

While his defensive style may have set him apart from other fighters, I'm not sure that it served him all that well, as Larry Holmes was able to nail him at will with right crosses on his way to the title.

Comment

Esteban Dejesus' style is kinda similar.

Comment

I heard that crossed arm style if used right was effective against jabbers and boxers that relied on the jab a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X