• Show
Clear All

David Reid
    Amir Khan

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      David Reid
      Amir Khan
      Amir Khan? A 25 year old who's been world champion twice and is going to fight another world champion next, who has been selling out arenas since he was 18 and has fought the best after the best time and time again?

You really set the bar high if you say Amir Khan has failed. Especially considering he's in full flow with his career.

Comment

Todays generation of fans are so gullible they think a fighter with 2 or 3 defeats should be shot! Its the Mayweather Cherrypicking Syndrone!!!!
        They don't realize that the first 20 to 25 fights are against people with alot less talent and skills then they have!!!!
        I think a fighter needs to be retired before this question could be answered.
        A few losses back when fighter fought the same caliber fighters as themselves
        doesn't mean much.
        Tony Ayala had some very real demons pouncing around his head it wasn't that he couldn't face muster!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          Amir Khan? A 25 year old who's been world champion twice and is going to fight another world champion next, who has been selling out arenas since he was 18 and has fought the best after the best time and time again?

You really set the bar high if you say Amir Khan has failed. Especially considering he's in full flow with his career.
          You do realize how much Khan was hyped in the UK right ?.

Yep, 25 years old, in his prime, but, go back before the Prescott fight or even a few years ago and people were talking about him potentially being the next big thing, a lot of people even considering him a possible opponent for Mayweather, I haven't set any bar high, that's the media over hyping him.

All that hype has dissapeared because Khan failed too live up too it.
          Last edited by NChristo; 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            You do realize how much Khan was hyped in the UK right ?.

Yep, 25 years old, in his prime, but, go back before the Prescott fight or even a few years ago and people were talking about him potentially being the next big thing, a lot of people even considering him a possible opponent for Mayweather, I haven't set any bar high, that's the media over hyping him.

All that hype has dissapeared because Khan failed too live up too it.
            I'm from the UK, and I lived in the UK when the Olympics were around and further than that, just up the road in Preston from where he lives. I see you're not far away in Blackpool. So yes, I know how hyped up he was.

So he came back like a champion from the KO loss to Prescott, would you agree? Almost immediately won a world title, fought the best the division had to offer and was considered the champion in a very competitive division.

I still think he'll get a shot at mayweather, whether deserved so or not. He'll beat Alexander to become a champion at 147 and then get his shot. I just don't think you can say he's failed when he's really only getting his career together.
            Last edited by LacedUp; 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

In Amir's case he is part of the hype!! He has a demeanor about him that borders on a spoiled snob not a boxing contender!!! Again theres the home cooking and praise before actually accomplishing anything against an equal opponent! He has talent he just hasn't mentally matured yet. He may Not!
              Ray

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I'm from the UK, and I lived in the UK when the Olympics were around and further than that, just up the road in Preston from where he lives. I see you're not far away in Blackpool. So yes, I know how hyped up he was.

So he came back like a champion from the KO loss to Prescott, would you agree? Almost immediately won a world title, fought the best the division had to offer and was considered the champion in a very competitive division.

I still think he'll get a shot at mayweather, whether deserved so or not. He'll beat Alexander to become a champion and 147 and then get his shot. I just don't think you can say he's failed when he's really only getting his career together.
                Yeah I agree, he made a very good comeback from a pretty nasty KO, but too have lived up too the hype that was given too him he should have never lost that fight especially not in such manner, I'm not saying that he's not a good boxer, I enjoy watching him fight, always puts on a show even if he doesn't have too / it'll put him in danger, gotta love a boxer like that.

I say he's failed because the hype was here big time and it vanished seemingly over night, he hasn't failed as a boxer and can still make something out of himself of course.
                Last edited by NChristo; 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I was going to say Howard Davis too. An Olympic gold medalist back then was still pretty heavily hyped, wasn't he? Now nobody outside of hardcore fans really seem to care about that. And I don't hear his name mentioned among all-time greats. Sure the guy had some skills though. How good was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    I was going to say Howard Davis too. An Olympic gold medalist back then was still pretty heavily hyped, wasn't he? Now nobody outside of hardcore fans really seem to care about that. And I don't hear his name mentioned among all-time greats. Sure the guy had some skills though. How good was he?
                    Davis had excellent boxing skills. The reason he never held a title was probably that he was a light puncher with a shaky chin. But most thought he would be a champion for sure after the Olympics.

Comment

Michael Oladjide jr, and more recently, Kelson Pinto, Paul Williams, Chad Dawson.

Donald Curry was pretty good, but well over-hyped imo.

Seen quite a few heavyweights mentioned.. Will add, Tyrell Biggs, Shannon Briggs,Henry Tilman and Audley Harrison. None of them terribly over-hyped, but all had a good pedegree and a lot more was expected from them.

Comment

Working...
                      X