Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprised how Jack Dempsey footwork coordination and speed it's underrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
    They were series of punches, incorporating bob and weave moves. The moves begin off slipping an opponent's left lead.
    In one, as you slip inside the left you punch to the heart with a short right hand. Then you bob back under the opponent's left arm and weave to the outside, hooking the left to the stomach as you go. Once outside, you finish with a right hand back over the top.
    Another begins by slipping outside the left lead, hooking your left to his stomach as you slip.Then you bob under the left, weave to the inside, short right hook to the heart as you do so. Once back inside you straighten up with a left upper cut or left hook to the chin.
    A lot of timing and balance and really knowing how to shift your weight.
    I get the distinct feeling that they don't teach this stuff anymore

Poet

Comment

A knowledgable trainer teaches to a students natural abilities and needs. Your not training Dempseys techniques to Ali!!!! However once the student has learned alot you do go over different approaches to understand how and why techniques that you don't employ work. If your around long enough you see it all eventually and recognizing methods & techniques quickly can win a fight if you know how to defend and combat it!!! Ray

Comment

Do you watch video footage with the fighter to study them as well?

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          Anybody that thinks that Dempsey is 'primitive' in his style should take the time to learn about the "Dempsey Triples." Then take the time to learn how to execute them- just how to do the moves while maintaining balance and punching with force. On a heavy bag, not even against a live opponent. Then try them against a live opponent.
          does he mention it in his book? if so what chapter?

http://ia600308.us.archive.org/27/it...ngoriginal.pdf

Comment

dempsy was a mf. that fight with the tall guy who he got the title from was the way for a short dog to get a tall guy. didn't just eat punches on the way in but attacked n dug in using his footwork. basic? the idea may be basic but the execution is not something everyone can do. the heavyweight landscape is a clear example of how most fighters cannot execute this. then theres the legent of the firpo fight anyone cracked around like that who can come back and flatten his opponent is a bad mf if u ax me.

Comment

Willard. Willard is the tall guy. cant remember the names like I used to

Comment

Originally posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
                does he mention it in his book? if so what chapter?

http://ia600308.us.archive.org/27/it...ngoriginal.pdf
                I don't recall that being in his book. I've read about them in numerous places. The mechanics are described in the book "Boxing" by Edwin L Haislet.
                Learn those moves, go into any gym, any where, bust them out on the heavy bag and every body will notice you.

Comment

Dempsey was a graceful panther on the attack. What could offset this the best would be a speedy counterpuncher like a Loughran, or a Tunney, or an Ali who could fight backing up.

I don't think his chin or power or overrated. In fact, I think his power is underrated. I doubt Frazier hit harder for instance. And I don't think Frazier could have tore through Willard like Dempsey did. Jack Johnson was a very good puncher, regardless of how he's known for being a defensive fighter, and he threw all he could at Willard and couldn't put a dent in him. Willard's jaw was excellent, his best attribute next to his size. And Dempsey caved it in. At around 179-180 (his true weight in that fight I've heard, not the 187 lbs listed) he totally destroyed a superheavyweight who actually had decent skills. Willard's big weakness was he had a soft work ethic and didn't like to fight. But he had developed a jab, movement, some defensive ability. And he was as strong as an ox. He was not a bum.

And Dempsey ate him up. And you know, he took care of Firpo too, and the fact that he was knocked out of the ring and climbed back in to stop him only adds to his glory, it does not detract.

Dempsey was surely a top ten heavyweight. He cleaned up his division early in life a la Mike Tyson but unlike Tyson, he was still game and mentally strong well after his physical skills eroded. There is no denying he was one of the divisions best punchers too. Watch the Firpo fight and study the tight punches Dempsey throws on the inside that knock Firpo down. He was a great, great fighter inside, on a P4P level, not just considering heavyweights.

Comment

And check out those shoulders in the pic in my signature. Who of that era had shoulders like that, without ever doing a military or bench press? He was physically very impressive despite what his weight happened to be. You can watch the history of boxing and see that a great build is more important to punching than weight. George Foreman weighed 215-220 in his early fights. So did Tyson. He would be considered smaller by today standards yet at that weight he would tear through so many of these muscular but somewhat soft in the middle 230+ lbers.

Dempsey at the 192 lbs. in the Firpo fight was perfectly sculpted and we can see what a little bit of weight did for him. It went mostly to the shoulders and lats. Working with weights in preperation for a modern fight he'd easily put on 15 lbs or more without losing speed. He could do squats and develop his legs to match his upper body and then he's added even more weight onto his lean frame.

Dempsey just trained down, streamlined his physique for speed and for endurance. Fighting in this modern era, Jack Dempsey would be fully equipped at a 6' shredded 210 lbs to slay these Giants. A Bruce Lee of heavyweight boxing.

(BTW, I'm pretty certain Bruce Lee read and learned quite a bit from Dempsey's book on punching power and boxing technique)

Comment

Yes Every Muscle Dempsy had was for punching. He also had huge hands

Comment

Working...
                      X