No announcement yet.

1980's Tony tucker article. 26-0.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    Age is different quite obviously per fighter. Walcott, Moore and Charles were FAR from shot when they fought Marciano. Louis skills had eroded measurably however.

Mike Spinks was the only light heavyweight champion to move up and win the true heavyweight championship and he did it without a single heavyweight bout in preparation. He did indeed best Holmes in their rematch. Holmes was looking to ko Spinks early and by round 8 was exhausted. Spinks swept most of the later rounds for the win.
    I do disagree. I thought Holmes won the second fight. Interesting but I had a fight party for the second one and handed out scorecards to everyone. Out of about 20 people, only one turned in a scorecard that favored Spinks.

Comment

Same here. Watch it again. Holmes won rounds early to mid but he faded badly when Spinks was still there. Spinks swept most of the rounds past round 8. I always thought it was a huge robbery....until I watched the bout again. I saw a different fight upon a second look see.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        Age is different quite obviously per fighter. Walcott, Moore and Charles were FAR from shot when they fought Marciano. Louis skills had eroded measurably however.

Mike Spinks was the only light heavyweight champion to move up and win the true heavyweight championship and he did it without a single heavyweight bout in preparation. He did indeed best Holmes in their rematch. Holmes was looking to ko Spinks early and by round 8 was exhausted. Spinks swept most of the later rounds for the win.
        - -Louis was never the same after ww2, but by gum he was still Joe Louis and dispatched JJ post haste in the rematch to settle that controversy.

When Joe mounted his comeback against strong comp at a fast pace, at one time had regained the top Ring slot, but had slipped to #5 by the time of Rocky. He was looking good early before fading.

Joe was always a champion in the ring.

Spinks had been sick with the Flu for the Holmes rematch which why he started so slowly.

Which is interesting given how infectious the flu is and the seasonal death rate it racks up.

This is not unusual for athletes nor the common working stiff and I did it plenty enough in my younger days before developing an apparent immunity the past 25 years or so. That is about when the modern mantra of "Herd Immunity" started to be developed that has been exposed as disasterous in this Corona virus economic meltdown the western world has never seen before, the newest man made disaster. Condemning folks many of whom were impoverised to begin with to impooverishment with no hope in sight ain't improving their chances of enduring the virus. Just the opposite. In fact you could have an asymptomatic positive test to also be banned almost to the point of being a modern day leper.

Small wonder the rioting, looting, and burning has started with nary a clue by authorities how to handle any of it.

The current Texas death rate is 1.25 % which is much lower than the seasonal flu that never disrupted the economy because there was never this official state overreach.

Gonna be hell to pay now , so buckle up. These are indeed interesting times.

Comment

Working...
        X