Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did Joe Frazier have skills? Or just a hard punch and good stamina?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

george foreman was the one i woulda said had very little skill for what he did. seemed like he often didnt even bother to position himself to get leverage on his punches but rocked everyone with every shot he landed. no skill but power to burn. richard pryor once jokes, ''george has a unique boxin style, none'' pryor then said something like just tell george who the ref is and he'll kill the other guy. and that when norton fought george, norton was already lookin for a place to fall down. frazier had pressure fightin skills, like continous head movement which is absolutely necessary for a shorter fighter workin his way inside. even, and i luv smokin joe, sometimes usin his own forehead to create openings for his ridiculous left hook. sometimes landing the hook on the hip to open up the head area.

Comment

He had a nasty spinning punch.

Seriously, why don't you just WATCH the man's fights? If you can't tell that he had skill from that, there's no hope for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Verstyle View Post
        Naw, he wasn't skilled. As a matter of fact, the only reason he won the world heavyweight title is because his number was picked out of the boxing lotto.
        My favorite post so far today

Comment

SMH @ people who responded to this topic as if I personally said "JOE FRAZIER HAS NO SKILLS!!!".

I would just relaying a comment Ali said, and asked your opinion on it.

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
            SMH @ people who responded to this topic as if I personally said "JOE FRAZIER HAS NO SKILLS!!!".

I would just relaying a comment Ali said, and asked your opinion on it.
            Haha people never really "read" so much as "read into" these threads. Although that one crack about the Lottery was priceless!

Frazier was a swarmer....He was one of, if not the best pure swarmer in the heavyweight division I can think of....I will qualify that!

Guys like Tyson and Dempsy had a more elaborate way of incorporating punching distance and pressure, not better its just that fighting Tyson there are so many ways you can get beat, ditto for Dempsy....Ok

So....Marciano, I would say Hollyfield and Frazier were all pressure fighters who could swarm relentlessly. Does that take skill? Well....fighters like Armstrong, Greb, come to mind. If you watch films you will see that being able to pressure an opponent until they wilt is a very credible boxing skill.

Its hard to say if Smokin Joe was the best....Marciano was incredible, and never lost against the likes of some of the best, Holly beat Tyson when people thought he would wilt and MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT! Holly won that fight by applying pressure to Tyson at his center point of balance, and hitting him on the push off! (and a few headbutts)...he was relentless!

Which brings us to Frazier. He beat a great version of Ali and some other decent fighters....he was definitily one of the best "swarmers" which showed with his inside game, left hook and consistancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Nah he had NOTHING!!! Gold Medalists & Heavyweight Champion of the World!
              Back when it actually meant something, not like now with all the phoney associations and horrible competition!!! Theres as much skill to be a pressure fighter as there is being a mover or counter puncher. Actually theres more to it than boxing but or styles come from within and physical stature and abilities is what molds our style!

The threads offered are getting more & more kindergardenesque these days!
              Ray.
              Ray who do you think the best heavyweight "swarmer" was?

Comment

Joe Frazier

Ask Bob Foster if he agrees with Ali on Joe's boxing skills!!

Comment

When Frazier was young he was a master at the bob and weave style. Later he got away from it, much like Mike Tyson did later in his career.

Comment

Not every all time great in any sport says brilliant things all the time.

Joe Fraizer is perfect example of showing somebody head movement and bobbing and weaving and Cutting off the ring.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Let me put it this way: He had the necessary skills to win and retain the HW championship, including his greatest asset - The Philadelphia Left Hook! Never was it in greater evidence than in his greatest victory - against his archrival Ali.
                      Last edited by Panamaniac; 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X