Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Alan Minter never get a rematch with Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
    @MM

Stories about Alan's difficult background are pretty legend in that part of North Sussex....he came from a hard background.

But AM remains a bit of a legend in the area and was extremely likeable, funny and honest during the brief corporate gig I attended.

As a Sussex boy it is kind of good to have had MW world champions from Crawley and Brighton during my lifetime. We're a small county and hardly a boxing hotbed!!
    Thanks for the confirmation mate.

So, d'you know where he is and what he's up to these days, as it mystifies me that such an endearing and popular character can go into total obscurity for so many years.. Think i'll google him, and see what happens..

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Getting butchered by Hagler, decisioned by Hamsho, and then destroyed by Sibson- within about a year's time.....and you're asking why he didn't get a rematch with Hagler?

He couldn't have deserved one less and I'll bet his desire for one wasn't there.
      BEFORE the Hamsho and Sibson losses... I think he should have gotten a rematch. It wasn't as if Hagler decisively knocked him out or shut him out on the cards. I gave the first two rounds to Hagler, but he wasn't completely destroying him.

Hagler was almost stopped for a cut eye against Thomas Hearns... would there be no reason for a rematch if the fight had ended on those terms?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        BEFORE the Hamsho and Sibson losses... I think he should have gotten a rematch. It wasn't as if Hagler decisively knocked him out or shut him out on the cards. I gave the first two rounds to Hagler, but he wasn't completely destroying him.

Hagler was almost stopped for a cut eye against Thomas Hearns... would there be no reason for a rematch if the fight had ended on those terms?

You can be very ridiculous, my friend. Comparing Hagler-Hearns to Hagler-Minter is off the charts! Marvin Hagler was beating Hearns' ass when Steele halted the action. Had he stopped it then it would have been an explosive controversy. Hagler was beating Minter's ass when it was stopped (Minter having just clutched his own face). Big, big difference.

You are the only boxing fan I have ever encountered who thinks the just bashed Minter should have gotten an immediate rematch. Not even Minter or his family wanted to see that again. Does it make you feel intelligent to continually take "out-of-the-box" viewpoints, or something?

Comment

Just had to refresh my memory on google, and i'd forgotten that Minter [did a Hopkins] and during the build up to the fight, had incensed Hagler by saying, ''No black man's ever gonna take my title'' and was also alledged to have used the N word..

Hagler was then reported to have turned around to his manager [G.Petronelli] and said, ''Goody, i'm really gonna hurt this man.''
          Although, generally likeable, [as i mentioned in a previous post] Minter did sometimes suffer from loose lips [sink ships] syndrome, but back in the early 80's, although racism was'nt really considered as cardinal a sin as it is now, Marv took it to heart and exacted his revenge accordingly.. So , once again, Boom Boom [ Alan's nickname, that was later adopted by Ray Mancini] had shot himself in the foot..
          However, i don't think this was Minter the racist talking, but Minter the comedian.. He was well know'n for his one liners, which i know does'nt make it right,but was quite commonplace back then, and not just in boxing either, i mean, it was riffe in football for example.. I can relate to it on a personal level aswell, because i was 16 years old in 1980, and had just started my very 1st job as a trainee welder. The experience of my 1st ever day at work will stay etched in my mind until the day i die.. There were awhole bunch of us [including 1 or 2 ethnics] half asleep and struggling into our boiler suits, whilst awaiting the arrival of our instuctor who was an old geezer [Mr Burrell]from the east end of London, had seen and done it all, who in the twilight of his career, had been retrained [as an instructor] and chosen by the engineering industry training board [EITB] to run one of their training centres, and prepare us all to become registered tradesman.. So in walks this grizzled and respected 'man of the world' [who we had to call, SIR] with the very 1st words to leave his lips being, '' G'morning, Righteo, are there any coons or pakis in here''.. He then went on to say, '' ok i can see most of you are English, so we won't have too many problems, will we''.. ''As for you other lot, i've spent most of my working life, having to witness you cvnts totally **** up our country, but i'm being paid a lot of money to somehow turn you monkeys into tradesman,so provided you dont take it personally, then niether will i''..

I apologize to anyone who might find all this a bit longwinded and unnecessary for a boxing forum, but i only wanted to create an interesting post on 2 of the fighters i grew up watching, i just felt compelled to explain exactly how it was 30 odd years ago, and especially to the younger posters, as i doubt very much, i'll have to justify this to any poster around my age or older. Not only that, but i've also managed to answer my own question to BodyShot [who lives near Minter] as to why Alan Minter has'nt been seen anywhere for yonks.. I'd say it was down to long term deep rooted embarrassment, and not just for the pasting he took either..
          Last edited by mickey malone; 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I have always had a lot of respect for Alan Minter; maybe I've always had a soft spot for Brit boxers because of henry Cooper. Minter was in over his head with hagler. Marvin clearly won the first two, but there was a spot at the end of the second where he got lazy and minter scored some. But then hagler got focused again and went back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              You can be very ridiculous, my friend. Comparing Hagler-Hearns to Hagler-Minter is off the charts! Marvin Hagler was beating Hearns' ass when Steele halted the action. Had he stopped it then it would have been an explosive controversy. Hagler was beating Minter's ass when it was stopped (Minter having just clutched his own face). Big, big difference.

You are the only boxing fan I have ever encountered who thinks the just bashed Minter should have gotten an immediate rematch. Not even Minter or his family wanted to see that again. Does it make you feel intelligent to continually take "out-of-the-box" viewpoints, or something?
              A bad cut is a bad cut, regardless of who is controlling the action. We have no idea if Minter could have rebounded from a poor start.

Obelmeijas got the first shot at Hagler's title... did he really deserve that shot instead of a guy like Minter? Minter had a very remarkable resume compared to Obelmeijas; he was at least as deserving of a title shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                A bad cut is a bad cut, regardless of who is controlling the action. We have no idea if Minter could have rebounded from a poor start.

Obelmeijas got the first shot at Hagler's title... did he really deserve that shot instead of a guy like Minter? Minter had a very remarkable resume compared to Obelmeijas; he was at least as deserving of a title shot.
                Pretty certain that Obel was Hagler's mandatory- deserving or not. Do you think Minter would have been healed up and properly trained to fight Marvin, instead of Fully, just a little over 4 months after their first match? I imagine Minter was in zero rush to get back in there with Marvin- he wasn't nearly as brave as you are- so Marvin went about defending his title and Minter went about having his career ended in a year's time.

I love how you're basing an immediate rematch for a guy on him having about a minute's worth of competitiveness with a great fighter! I guess in that tiny lil' window you saw how Minter could actually have had a chance to beat Marvin? I guess that's the out-of-the-box thinking you have- something Minter, his people, and 99.999999% of the fans in boxing history unfortunately do/did not possess.

Comment

Seems to be alot of fuss for an ordinary fighter with ordinary skills! To have 50 fights and be stopped 8 or 9 times isn't much of a record. When light hitting Ricky Ortiz flies into Minters back yard and stops him in 2 rounds with a record of 23-24-2 with FIVE big ko wins in 53 fights thats not a good outing for a "great fighter"!!

The facts remain that the bottles thrown into the ring was a disgrace by the british fans who simply were racists and couldn't handle seeing a black man destroy their hero! Minter got beat up and if they ever fought again Hagler would certainly make him suffer for a while!
                  Its over and done but theres no reason to think Minter was a special talent because he wasn't! He got over on boxing out of the southpaw stance and thats it! He is NOT an ATG middleweight by any means. When you think of the greatest champ being stopped ONCE in 200+ fights and Minter getting stopped 8 times in 48 fights that tells you all you need to know! Ray.

Comment

@RayCorso.....

I am not sure anyone has or would claim AM was an ATG at any point during this thread, but neither was he as innept, rubbish fighter, a racist bigot or a minor player in the MW championship history books.

He met his match in Hagler and has been honest and brave enough to admit that. I've met the guy (briefly) and he's not making claims that he was robbed, the better fighter or that he hated Hagler because of his ethnicity.

But AM beat Kevin Finnegan 3 times, and Hagler in on-record as saying Kevin gave him some tough fights. He also beat Artoufermo twice (who beat Hagler) and has a win over a faded Emile Griffith.

The guy was also an Olympic medallist during an era when the Eastern Bloc were dominating the sport with full-time, drug-enhanced professionals.

What we are discussing here is a good world champion, who faced the best and did not get an easy, padded ride to the top, and who just deserves a bit of basic, common respect rather being tritely and lazily dismissed.

Comment

Antofuermo beat Hagler? No, Hagler beat him and the judges robbed Hagler by calling that a draw and then Hagler TKO'd Vito in the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                      X